Important changes to the UK A1 Level English tests for settlement visas

For IELTS you should do the General Training test, not Academic. Only band 4.5 is required which is not difficult.

My school in Bangkok is an IELTS prep centre and we're about to start marketing spouse visa classes!

One problem is that there don't seem to be that many General Training test dates in a year ( maybe 7 or 8 only), and that will not be very convenient for many test takers.

If your school ( your school ?) is starting to do prep for these tests, perhaps you can explain the difference between the Academic test and the General Training test ? What is the difference in difficulty ? Why are there two tests anyway ?

There are General Training (GT) tests twice a month in Bangkok. In Chiang Mai, Khong Kaen and Hat Yai they are less frequent, although at least one every two months.

The Academic Test is for academic purposes, i.e. university entrance. The Academic Reading Test uses academic texts, whereas the General Training Reading Test uses magazine texts, brochures and other everyday reading material. The Writing test for GT is a letter and a simple essay, whereas the Academic Writing test is analysing data and an academic essay. The Listening and Speaking tests are the same for GT and Academic tests.

If the listening and speaking tests are the same for Academic and General, why does it matter which one you take ? How do the listening and speaking tests work ? Is there no reading and writing aspect at all to the listening and speaking part of the test, or is it necessary to use "reading" in order to answer any of the questions ?

For IELTS you should do the General Training test, not Academic. Only band 4.5 is required which is not difficult.

My school in Bangkok is an IELTS prep centre and we're about to start marketing spouse visa classes!

One problem is that there don't seem to be that many General Training test dates in a year ( maybe 7 or 8 only), and that will not be very convenient for many test takers.

If your school ( your school ?) is starting to do prep for these tests, perhaps you can explain the difference between the Academic test and the General Training test ? What is the difference in difficulty ? Why are there two tests anyway ?

There are General Training (GT) tests twice a month in Bangkok. In Chiang Mai, Khong Kaen and Hat Yai they are less frequent, although at least one every two months.

The Academic Test is for academic purposes, i.e. university entrance. The Academic Reading Test uses academic texts, whereas the General Training Reading Test uses magazine texts, brochures and other everyday reading material. The Writing test for GT is a letter and a simple essay, whereas the Academic Writing test is analysing data and an academic essay. The Listening and Speaking tests are the same for GT and Academic tests.

If the listening and speaking tests are the same for Academic and General, why does it matter which one you take ? How do the listening and speaking tests work ? Is there no reading and writing aspect at all to the listening and speaking part of the test, or is it necessary to use "reading" in order to answer any of the questions ?

The Listening Test is done first and is the exactly the same for GT and Academic. Yes, the candidate will need to be able to read the questions in order to answer them. It's in 4 parts - part 1 is an everyday conversation, part 2 is a monologue about an everyday topic; parts 3 & 4 are about university study, including an academic lecture. This will be more difficult for a GT student, but they would only need to get 50% in total for the whole test to get IELTS band 5.

Then they do the Reading Test; GT and Academic candidates do different Reading Tests (1 hour).

Then they do the Writing Test; GT and Academic candidates do different Writing Tests (1 hour).

In the afternoon each candidate does a 11-14 minute 1:1 Speaking Test with an examiner. They have to answer questions about themself; do a 2 minute presentation on a topic they are given; and discuss an academic topic. GT candidates can get Bands 4/5 without having to do well in the academic discussion.

http://www.ielts.org/

brewsterbudgen said :

The Listening Test is done first and is the exactly the same for GT and Academic. Yes, the candidate will need to be able to read the questions in order to answer them. It's in 4 parts - part 1 is an everyday conversation, part 2 is a monologue about an everyday topic; parts 3 & 4 are about university study, including an academic lecture. This will be more difficult for a GT student, but they would only need to get 50% in total for the whole test to get IELTS band 5.

Then they do the Reading Test; GT and Academic candidates do different Reading Tests (1 hour).

Then they do the Writing Test; GT and Academic candidates do different Writing Tests (1 hour).

In the afternoon each candidate does a 11-14 minute 1:1 Speaking Test with an examiner. They have to answer questions about themself; do a 2 minute presentation on a topic they are given; and discuss an academic topic. GT candidates can get Bands 4/5 without having to do well in the academic discussion.

That's great stuff, thanks. It's probably the first time I've seen a full explanation. But, like many, I fail to understand how a test, that is for listening and speaking only, requires a reading ability.

brewsterbudgen said :

That's great stuff, thanks. It's probably the first time I've seen a full explanation. But, like many, I fail to understand how a test, that is for listening and speaking only, requires a reading ability.

I guess that's why the current GT IELTS is not A1. The GT test is really aimed at people wanting to work in an English speaking country, so basic reading/writing ability is expected. Even in the Speaking Test, the candidate needs to read the Presentation topic and make notes before starting to speak. Maybe the new IELTS Life Skills test will be easier as it's aimed at visa applicants!

• 2 weeks later...

Update.

IELTS are busy training examiners for the new Life Skills test. All being well, it will be available in Bangkok from the end of April. There will be two tests - A1 and B1. Each test will take about 14-22 minutes, and will require speaking and listening skills only (no reading or writing). Candidates will take the test in pairs, with one examiner. Every test will be videoed. Results will be available in about 2 weeks after the test.

Both IELTS test centres in Bangkok - IDP and the British Council - will be running tests, although no one seems to have any idea of the demand, so there may be a shortage of examiners at first.

Bangkok language schools are bound to jump onto the bandwagon and start offering preparation classes!

Update.

IELTS are busy training examiners for the new Life Skills test. All being well, it will be available in Bangkok from the end of April. There will be two tests - A1 and B1. Each test will take about 14-22 minutes, and will require speaking and listening skills only (no reading or writing). Candidates will take the test in pairs, with one examiner. Every test will be videoed. Results will be available in about 2 weeks after the test.

Both IELTS test centres in Bangkok - IDP and the British Council - will be running tests, although no one seems to have any idea of the demand, so there may be a shortage of examiners at first.

Bangkok language schools are bound to jump onto the bandwagon and start offering preparation classes!

So until the new Life Skills test is available, applicant's will take the four-part test ?

Edited by Tony M

Update.

So until the new Life Skills test is available, applicant's will take the four-part test ?

I don't know. You'll have to check that it is still acceptable. I don't see why it shouldn't be, as there must be a test available until the Life Skills test is up and running. But obviously it's a far more difficult test, as both the Listening and Speaking components require reading skills.

• 4 weeks later...

The Wife just took her test at Vantage last weekend, so prior to the 5th April cut-off however the phrase 'transition period' concerns me slightly. Does this mean that she has until 5th November to take the new test? Or will her result (due next week) stand?

If your wife took her test at Vantage, was she doing the BULATS test for business? I thought they were the only one with the monopoly on the Cambridge BULATS test. This is at A2 level for people who want to work in the UK.

I assume that the A1 level is done by Trinity. Is that correct?

The Wife just took her test at Vantage last weekend, so prior to the 5th April cut-off however the phrase 'transition period' concerns me slightly. Does this mean that she has until 5th November to take the new test? Or will her result (due next week) stand?

If your wife took her test at Vantage, was she doing the BULATS test for business? I thought they were the only one with the monopoly on the Cambridge BULATS test. This is at A2 level for people who want to work in the UK.

I assume that the A1 level is done by Trinity. Is that correct?

No it was the Cambridge K.E.T. for a U.K. visa.

• Like 1

The first IELTS LIfe Skills tests (A1 and B1) in Bangkok (IDP & British Council) are set for:

April 23 May 7 June 4

And they have upped the cost of the test to 7,830 THB ( from 5,900 THB) !

The IELTS IDP website is confusing. The test seems to have a couple of different descriptions - Life Skill A1 ( which should be listening and speaking only, but appears as reading and writing too when you try to book it ?), or Bangkok Friday Interview ( which isn't actually available ).

Do you have any more info on these tests, brewsterbudgen ? Are they definitely only listening and speaking from 23rd April ?

The first IELTS LIfe Skills tests (A1 and B1) in Bangkok (IDP & British Council) are set for:

April 23 May 7 June 4

And they have upped the cost of the test to 7,830 THB ( from 5,900 THB) !

The IELTS IDP website is confusing. The test seems to have a couple of different descriptions - Life Skill A1 ( which should be listening and speaking only, but appears as reading and writing too when you try to book it ?), or Bangkok Friday Interview ( which isn't actually available ).

Do you have any more info on these tests, brewsterbudgen ? Are they definitely only listening and speaking from 23rd April ?

A1 and B1 IELTS Life Skills are different levels, but both only involve listening and speaking. You'll need to get either IDP or British Council (in Bangkok) to confirm whether both are available on 23 April.

Yes, the fee is higher than the general IELTS test! The test is videoed but I can't see any other reason why it should be more expensive!

• 3 weeks later...

My school is now offering Life Skills classes (Bangkok).

IELTS Life Skills

New Cambridge Institute (Thailand), a leading language institute and a leading overseas education consultant introduces IELTS Life Skills.

This course is suitable for people who are looking for the UK visa. The course will enhance both English speaking and listening skills of learners to prepare them for the test.

The course consists of 2 levels:

• A1 is a lower level for usage in daily life, highly appropriate for Thai spouses.

• B1 is a higher level for people who wish to work abroad.

• Free Self Access Centre (unlimited hours of listening lab)

18 hour class at 8,500 baht

- Class 1: Weekday class
Date: Mon 25 May – Sat 30 May’15 (6 days)
Time: 6 – 9 pm (3 hrs/day)
Total hours: 18 hours ·

- Class 2: Weekend class
Sat 31 May’15
Sun 31 May’15
Sat 6 June’15
Time: 10 – 1, 2 – 5 pm (6 hrs/day)
Total hours: 18 hours

Remark: 10% cash discount

For more information, please contact New Cambridge Institute (Thailand) at 02 252 3133, [email protected], www.newcambridge.com

Questions about IELTS Life Skills test

1. How long does the IELTS Life Skills test take?
IELTS Life Skills Level A1 takes 16-18 minutes and Level B1 is 22 minutes.

2. Is there any break between Speaking and Listening?
No, you will be assessed on your Speaking and Listening skills at the same time.

3. How is IELTS Life Skills assessed?
A certificated IELTS Examiner will assess your performance throughout the Speaking and Listening test based on the following criteria:
- obtaining information
- conveying information
- speaking to communicate
- engaging in discussion

4. How soon will I get my IELTS Life Skills results?
Test results are normally available within 6 days of your test.

5. How often can I re-take IELTS or IELTS Life Skills?
If you pass IELTS Life Skills, you cannot retake it at the same level for a period of two years. If you do not pass it, there are no restrictions on retaking the test.

• 2 weeks later...

My wife sat the IELTS exam in Bangkok, and got 3.0 on listening and 4.0 in speaking, lower scores in the reading and writing, looking at their website it says that 4.0 is a B1 but A1 isn't on there but I assume 3.0 must be A1 as its below the chart, if that makes sense, anyway I assume she's met the required level of A1 for a settlement visa, on the paperwork that we received today it says the CEFR level is below B1, so A1???

Thanks

I

My wife sat the IELTS exam in Bangkok, and got 3.0 on listening and 4.0 in speaking, lower scores in the reading and writing, looking at their website it says that 4.0 is a B1 but A1 isn't on there but I assume 3.0 must be A1 as its below the chart, if that makes sense, anyway I assume she's met the required level of A1 for a settlement visa, on the paperwork that we received today it says the CEFR level is below B1, so A1???

Thanks

I

She should have taken IELTS Life Skills, which only has speaking and listening components, which candidates either pass or fail.

Thanks

I

She should have taken IELTS Life Skills either A1 or B1, which only has speaking and listening components, which candidates either pass or fail.

It's also worth noting that if a prospective visa applicant happens to be visiting the UK, and is staying near a Trinity Test Centre, they can do the test in the UK, I understand the test takes less than ten minutes.

The Mrs did the General Training IELTS exam - it says on the page that it's valid for settlement visa's.

If taken before 23 April it's fine. Although if UKVI say it's fine, it's fine. The instruction we've been given is that from now it must be Life Skills or Trinity if in the UK.

I can't get a straight answer back from the UKVI people, they reply with a link to check and that webpage isn't found. I booked the IELTS General Training exam for the wife on the 30th March - the exam was on April 18th, the results Mrs E got would be an A1 in talking and listening etc but as of the 6th April there is now a specific Life Skills test to obtain the A1 BUT surely the exam results we have are also still valid, when I booked the exam it did say it was for settlement visa's etc.

I don't want to submit the visa and get a knock back because of this.

Anyone?

Thanks