Real estate agent asks commission but i signed no contract

Hi everyone,

About a year ago i bought a business in pai,mae hong son.A year later i decided to sell it again.It took my a few months before i could actually find a reliable buyer,Which i eventually did.The last month before it got sold,i went to a real estate agent in pai to see what she could do for me because i just had a month and a half to go on my visa and i did not know if it was going to be sold yes or no.She came and have a look at the property and i asked her how much it would be worth.She did not know and presented me with a contract that states that she will get 5% commission if she would find a buyer.I did not signed it and said to her that i would think about it.So a week later she called me to say that she found a buyer and that he is very interested.So eventually the buyer told me he went to her office and she had no time to show him the property and that he found her "strange".So to make a long story short She asks for 3% commission which i find a lot for a short phone call,no publicity and no time showing a buyer the property and best of all no contract.I know this is not europe but i mean what can she do?

So any help on this matter would be greatly appreciated.

Unfortunately real estate is not regulated in Thailand, and many agents may advertise and/or find a buyer for a property without any contract.

Pay commission to an agent that found a buyer without a contract it is a norm here, even if sometimes get complicated if there is not a direct probe that the agent was initiating the sale. In your case, looks like the agent got you the buyer, and you have moral obligation to pay its commission because you initiated the contact with the agent, and did used its services. Anyway, 3% is a normal sale commission here for real estate, and makes sense, because it is not really easy to find buyers for some kind of properties. You may negotiate the amount if you think is too high.

Edited by Muzarella
  • Like 1