Visa Options And Time Frames

Hello everyone,

I found this website while researchinmg visa info and must say that everyone seems very informed and more important very friendly and helpful. I have a Thai girlfriend and we want to apply for a K1 visa. We have known each other for about a year and were introduced through a common friend, he is Thai and lives in the same city as me. I went to Thailand in May to meet and will be going back in November. I believe we should not have a problem with the visa but was wondering how long the process takes, approximately. I have heard anywhere from a couple months to a year or more. If we are truthful and supply all the information, and more, that they ask for how long can we expect the wait to be?

Thank you for your insight.

I had read over that and i think most of the other info on the USCIS website. I know each case is different but I was just wondering if anyone had any ideas how long the wait is, on average, before you first hear from them regarding the application. I want to sumbit the application ASAP but she wants to wait until I get there in November so we can talk to her mother first.

• 2 weeks later...

I just recieved approval of the 129F petition yesterday so it has taken just under a month from the time they recieved it. (july5) the next step as I understand it is the visa application to the embassy in BKK. I'm estimating the whole process to take 3 months but it is actually looking like it may be less. After the visa is approved by BKK you have a 4 month window to use it.

I just recieved approval of the 129F petition yesterday so it has taken just under a month from the time they recieved it. (july5) the next step as I understand it is the visa application to the embassy in BKK. I'm estimating the whole process to take 3 months but it is actually looking like it may be less. After the visa is approved by BKK you have a 4 month window to use it.

WOW!!

The U.S. Web site says they are now processing applications filed February 23! https://egov.immigration.gov/cris/jsps/NBCprocesstimes.jsp

I got my receipt dated August 11 so hopefully, in about a month, I will get my approval for my TW.

The receipt of the application is just a confirmation that your initial application (the I-129F) has been received by the USCIS, not that it has been reviewed/approved. I believe they have a site where you can check on the processing status of the application (this is it), and where you can register for email notifications of the progress of your application.

Also, the USCIS has different processing sites around the US. Historically, the one in the Southwest US (Laguna Beach, CA) has always been the busiest, and hence the slowest when it comes to processing applications. Other USCIS sites generally are quicker, but there is no guarantee of that and I'm sure it varies from time to time. Unfortunately the applicant is stuck filing their I-129F (or I-130) at the facility closest to where they live.

For an I-129F, you can expect anywhere from 7 months to a year before the US Embassy in BKK contacts your fiance. For those on the other route (i.e. those already married) and using the I-130, it can seem a lot longer!

To ensure that things progress at the fastest rate possible, always make sure that every document you send is correctly completed and is legible (best if using a typewriter or online Adobe forms). Most delays are caused because the applicant forgets to submit the proper evidence to show that they are a US citizen, or they forget other simple things like proof of income, evidence of relationship to fiance, etc.

Also, always make copies of everything you send the USCIS. Sometimes they mysteriously lose things.

Edited by Gumballl

WOW!!

The U.S. Web site says they are now processing applications filed February 23! https://egov.immigration.gov/cris/jsps/NBCprocesstimes.jsp

I got my receipt dated August 11 so hopefully, in about a month, I will get my approval for my TW.

I don't understand your logic at all. As of August 28th, they were processing I-129F petitions from Feb 23rd. That's about seven months. Your's was recieved on August 11th. So August 11th plus seven months is about February 2007.

Each processing center has a different length queue. I used California (because I live there) and was quite distraught when I saw how long the wait was. However, I was pleasantly surprised in October 2004 when they went through two months of processing in a matter of two weeks.

As I understand it my approval is just for the 129F petition and now it goes to the national visa center and then on to BKK. I have no idea how long that will take or if it is different for fiancee vs. spouse.

I have talked to a couple of people who have gone through the process and they said the whole thing was about 3 months.

Sounds like gumball knows what he is talking about and he is correct about being very careful to follow the letter of the law and avoid making mistakes.

• 1 month later...

WOW!!

I don't understand your logic at all. As of August 28th, they were processing I-129F petitions from Feb 23rd. That's about seven months. Your's was received on August 11th. So August 11th plus seven months is about February 2007.

Each processing center has a different length queue. I used California (because I live there) and was quite distraught when I saw how long the wait was. However, I was pleasantly surprised in October 2004 when they went through two months of processing in a matter of two weeks.

I received my approval letter from Homeland Security on October 6, even though their web site states that they are working on applications received in March!

I also received notice from the State Department on October 23 that hey had transferred everything to Bangkok for final processing.

Hopefully not too long now.

Hello everyone,

I found this website while researchinmg visa info and must say that everyone seems very informed and more important very friendly and helpful. I have a Thai girlfriend and we want to apply for a K1 visa. We have known each other for about a year and were introduced through a common friend, he is Thai and lives in the same city as me. I went to Thailand in May to meet and will be going back in November. I believe we should not have a problem with the visa but was wondering how long the process takes, approximately. I have heard anywhere from a couple months to a year or more. If we are truthful and supply all the information, and more, that they ask for how long can we expect the wait to be?

Thank you for your insight.

There are many others going through the same route as you (K-1) and the length of time really depends on your local USCIS service center. I went thru the process in 2004. Sent in the I-129F petition via California USCIS service center in July of 2004 and my then fiance was interviewed at the US Consulate in Bangkok around Jan 2005 (so it was about 6 months) ....

There are a couple of other forums I suggest you take a look at for valuable resources and information:

1) the Thai Falang Board http://forums.delphiforums.com/thaifalang/start

and

2) VisaJourney.com look for a thread called SAWASDEE2 .... oh, well here's the link to that thread:

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...pic=78&st=0

Its always good to have a photo with date stamp on it with your fiance...another plus is having a photo taken with her family. Also (as I can recall from my experience) if you can get a copy of her birth certificate and get that translated to English, it will help when you submit that with your I-129F, even though the Birth Certificate is not a required document to send in...I have read many people get an RFE "request for evidence" for such a document. Just an FYI!!

Good luck with everything and travel safe (and save those boarding passes as proof for having met each other)

LV_Panda,

Here is a timeline for when I went thru the K-1 in 2004

07-20-04 USCIS-CSC receives I-129F

07-26-04 NOA1 (letter stating they received application and how long an application may take)

08-27-04 NOA2 received email of approval

09-01-04 NOA2 received letter in mail

09-09-04 Received NVC letter (dated 09-06-04) petition headed to US Embassy, BKK

09-16-04 Emailed US Embassy BKK for inquiry of case; they have it (no mention of exact date received)

09-23-04 Pocky receives the "Packet 3" in mail

10-18-04 Pocky gets medical exam at Bumrungrad, applies for Police Certificate, pays K-1 Visa Fee and turned in DS-230 pt 1 & “checklist”

01-14-05 Interview date!!

BUT that was in 2004 and things do (and have) change(d) with timelines and K-1 processes (especially the packet 3 process)...I would highly suggest visiting this link:

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...pic=78&st=0

Many people posting in there that are currently going thru the K-1 process and they are all in different stages from beginning to end.....

Once again...good luck

• 1 month later...