Doing it the hard, but proper way!

For people who have arrived in Thailand with their life savings, recently met a Thai girl and wants some advice on how and where to find work...I'll tell you how I did it!

After a few weeks in the country my dough started to run out so eventually I went looking for work.  Basically, the Bangkok Post is always advertising for English teaching jobs, often without experience.  Go for it!!  I did!!  The money may not be great but if you're working for a handful, or even two or three schools then the cash is more than enough to live on and also save some.

Go for a cheap condominium, three to five thousand baht a month.

But all in all, just simply travel around Bangkok, around every branch off the ECC, BCC or Siam (all schools) and you WILL be able to fill your week up with work.  I am sorry to say this, but really, teaching English is the only thing that's going to keep you here, that is if you REALLY want to stay here.  If you're not prepared to teach, then go home!

When I first got into it, I had never taught before, mainly I was dealing with young kids with sometimes small classes of adults or indivual lessons.

I initially was bricking my pants at the thought of making a fool of myself, but after the first lesson is over you'll be OK! You'll also be able to learn some Thai from your students at the same time!

No wonder certain sectors of the "English" teaching community have a bad name. The attitude "if you cannot do anything else, then teach English" not only lowers the esteem of qualified teachers butalso the Thai people suffer. They do look upon foreigners as experts, alas they do not always realise thet they are being conned.

This makes me wonder of the scenario whereby you visit a foreign country, try to obtain work, and cannot.  What do you do in that situation?  It must be about the worst thing that can happen to you.  How would you dig yourself out of that hole?

That's fear!

I don't wish to be critical as it is sound advise though I have been here for 13+ years and have never taught English for money.

I'm doing okay now but I've been to hel_l and back looking for alternative solutions.

Replying to my own post...

I've now been back in the UK with my wife for a little over two years and have to say that England holds more opportunities for me in terms of income.

Not only that but the wife also likes England!

I did not wish to sound bad when I said that Thais think that foreigners know their stuff but sadly it is a fact.  However, I did not get through English teaching by this method, I do hold a degree in English literature so I did know what to teach my classes.

I'm back in Thailand at the minute though for a one-month holiday.

I would be interested to hear of Dave's way that he got through thirteen years without teaching English just in case I do decide to come and live here again in the future.

Good luck to everyone, and thanks for the replies!

would be interested to hear of Dave's way that he got through thirteen years without teaching English just in case I do decide to come and live here again

Some people do come here with skills they can offer and sell to the market, as strange as that may seem.

If in that situation, I see no other alternative than to work without a work permit.  If it's a life and death situation, there simply is no choice.  Returning to your home country may provide some food and shelter if you stayed in touch with people, else you may be better off where you are.

Survival.  What would you do?  Can your embassy give you some emergency cash or something?  It's one of those hypothetical situations that you hope to god that you'll never end up in.

Disclaimer:  I'm not advocating this, in fact don't go and visit Thailand or any country for that matter without some fallback money and don't work illegally.  And don't break the law in any country.

I agree with some of the comments posted. I arrived in Thailand 8 years ago to take up a job offer for a slight salary cut from Saudi. I am currently on my third contract (3 separate firms - 2 local + 1 international) in Bangkok and hope this sequence will continue for many years to come. I agree that the only way to get on here is to provide a service that others cannot.

If you want to survive that's OK as an English teacher but after a few years and the possibility of kids etc your outlook may change. It's scary when it's school age with International Kindergartens charging 50K Baht + per term.

I guess it depends on the hopes and aspirations you have for your offspring! Language is also a big concern and is greatly helped by the international schools with their native English speaking staff :o