Farang praised by Facebook users for community services in Udon

Thaivisa News

Farang praised by Facebook users for community services in Udon

Screen%2BShot%2B2558-02-25%2Bat%2B2.31.2

pic: Udonthani Update

Udon Thani:- An unidentified young German has won a lot of ‘Facebook likes’ and praise among Thai social networkers after he was seen doing community services in Udon Thani’s Muang district.

A Facebook fan page, Udonthani Update, has posted pictures of the German man cleaning a public telephone booth and the post has won a lot admirations. The post was online on Monday and it has been liked by over 4,200 times and shared by over 400 times.

The admin of Udonthani Update said a resident of Muang district spotted the farang clearing a public telephone booth in front of a Government Saving Bank’s branch on Phosri Road at 2 pm on February 19 and took the photos.

“He is a German and he is doing this for free. He has not received any pay. His name is not known. He is cleaning a telephone booth that we, Thais, made it dirty with graffiti. He said he loves Thailand but what are we, Thais, doing?” the post says.

A Udon Thani resident, called Boombim, posted the German’s picture taken from the back, showing him collecting garbage near Charoen Hotel. She said the man was working since early in the morning and he refused to allow her to take his frontal photo.

“I could only buy him a bottle of water. I really admire him,” she posted.

Channel 3 reported this Facebook talk of the town in its morning news program Wednesday.

Channel 3 said it dispatched a reporter to look around but the reporter could not locate the farang. But many local residents confirmed seeing the man doing several types of community service, including lawn mowing, for awhile.

A security officer of Charoen Hotel said the man has been staying at the hotel and he is scheduled to check out on Thursday.

He is taking away jobs from Thais and has no work permit of course.

I do respect the bloke for doing this,

but he might leave the hotel before Thursday and get free lodging elsewhere, with great chicken feet meals.

But then, I am sure the prison will also need a good cleaning.

Edited by ronthai

Good work my friend !! We tried to start a recycle programme on the Island of Koh Pha Ngan a.k.a Full Moon Island in the late 80´s early 90´s ....it started well, but in the end we were threatened by various people and had to stop it !! After the locals kept burning plastic, batteries and glassbottles !!!....as usual ! I still cant understand what Went wrong !!?? Did we step on someones toes ?? .....and we all had businesses on the Island at the time !!

Nice farang story. He'll probably get picked up by labor for not having a work permit.

depressingly predictable response. thank you for perpetuating yet another thai visa cliche.

hurry along now, i am sure there is another thread running somewhere else where you can respond with "Thainess", use the phrase "walking ATM" or exhort the police to "blame it on the burmese"

keep up the original work

People don't bother reading the thread and therefore think they are clever and the first to mention about work permits.

I bet they're aghast and embarrassed when they realise just how many have mentioned it prior to them.

Had to think about your quote at the bottom of your post, scary isn't it. ""Man is made or unmade by himself; in the armory of thought he forges the weapons by which he destroys himself"