Songkhla: International Balloon Festival starts tomorrow

webfact

SONGKHLA
International Balloon Festival to be held next month

SONGKHLA: -- The Tourism Authority of Thailand (TAT) is inviting tourists to visit southern province of Songkhla for the International Balloon Festival next month.

The festival will be held at Jiranakorn Stadium in Hat Yai district from March 6 to 7. Visitors would have opportunity to see colorful hot-air balloons in different shapes from around the world and will also be given hot-air balloon rides to see Hat Yai from the sky.

Organizers have planned music concerts, parades, games, and food and beverage vendors at the festival.

Tourists are also invited to the nighttime event called 'Balloon Night Glow' that will come with spectacular light and sound shows.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/national/International-Balloon-Festival-to-be-held-next-mon-30254896.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2015-02-26

• Like 1

Riding a hot air balloon in Thailand ? Ive lived this long here, despite riding a bike occasionally without a helmet, often ridden the railways, driven a car, once actually went in a public minivan, ridden motorcycle taxis, tuk tuks, been on the balconies of tall buildings, rented a jet ski and by sheer luck survived them all.........however, Im thinking a flight in a Thai hot air ballon might just be a step too far.........

Thailand, I love you. But youre the land that health and safety forgot.........

• Like 1

Riding a hot air balloon in Thailand ? Ive lived this long here, despite riding a bike occasionally without a helmet, often ridden the railways, driven a car, once actually went in a public minivan, ridden motorcycle taxis, tuk tuks, been on the balconies of tall buildings, rented a jet ski and by sheer luck survived them all.........however, Im thinking a flight in a Thai hot air ballon might just be a step too far.........

Thailand, I love you. But youre the land that health and safety forgot.........

According to the OP, it's an International event ... so no problem! Look forward to your pics. coffee1.gif

• Like 1

The stadium is about the size of a running track, perhaps 20 metres more at one end.

How many balloons can be crammed in there + a concert .. international my arse. Surely they must mean the rubber variety.

balloonanimals1.jpg

Anyway, worth a look see, I'm only 5 minutes away too.

How much are the balloon rides? How far do they go?

Just up and down on a rope I suspect.

attachicon.gifBalloon Festival.jpg

I'm going to be at work, but the wife and granddaughter intend going, they even want a balloon ride!

I would expect them to have a poster in English if they really are interested in promoting it as an International event...

I noticed a balloon at about 7 this morning. If it was tethered, it was a very thin and very long rope because the balloon had quite a wide range.

I say "if".....it must have been tethered or it would have drifted off. I don't know how they're doing it and I used my binoculars from less than 1 km.

5 of them aloft right now (7:10 am) and they are adrift. The smurf has disappeared into the distance and 4 others are lazily going in various directions with at least 2 km between the extremes.

Heaven knows how they will get back to the stadium. I wonder where they will land.

5 of them aloft right now (7:10 am) and they are adrift. The smurf has disappeared into the distance and 4 others are lazily going in various directions with at least 2 km between the extremes.

Heaven knows how they will get back to the stadium. I wonder where they will land.

If they are untethered they will just drift and relay their positions to their ground teams, who actually do all the work and pick them up from wherever they land. There is no way they could ever return to the stadium on their own.