Cataracts

jimbbc

I had the same problem.

I checked out several hospitals and settled on Yanhee, in Bangkok. Pleased? So much so that I've used Dr Patamanuch twice. She operated on my right eye a year or so ago and then a couple of months ago on the left eye. Very happy with the results -- and the price! Seems it is a package for 29,000 THB.

Rutin, on Asoke, is apparently world famous. The Queen had surgery there recently, so it must be good. My problem was the cost - they wanted some 40,000 plus baht for cataract surgery.

Edited by lanny

Rutnin is certainly a very fine eye hospital.

They are busy, though, and treatment is very much on an assembly-line basis.

But if you want good eye care in Bangkok, I would recommend them.

An exam there is quite reasonable: about US$25-30.

Hello Jim,

Cataract surgery's being performed since more then 50 years now and is not the most difficult procedure to perform so any trained eye surgeon must be able to do this in a proper way.

Super Sight Surgery is only recommendable if, on top of the cataract treatment, you also wanna get rid (for the rest of your life) of your glasses because it is much more advanced than just basic cataract surgery (and therefore also more expensive, about 160000THB). They put a flexible lens in your eye that functions as if it was your own natural lens (when you were young :D ). A friend of me, a keen (he might read this :o ) golfer had this done because his glasses bothered him while playing golf and he is very satisfied (although his handicap improved only a little :D ) and thinks it's worth the cost (he also thinks in the long term his 'investment' will pay it's self because he doesn't have to buy any glasses anymore) but "worth the cost" of course has a different meaning for every individual.

I had the surgery done on both eyes at Bumrungrad in Bangkok and very satisfied with the doctor and results. He speaks excellant english and very open to any questions. Here is my original e-mail response from them.

Given below is the reply from Dr. Pakitti Tayanithi (Ophthalmologist):

"Dear Sir,

According to the cataract surgery you requested, please be informed as following:

1. Phacoemulsification under topical anesthesia, small incision, sutureless and foldable intraocular lens implantation is my routine technique. No eye patch but only eye shield will be applied postoperatively.

2. I need one session of preoperative eye evaluation and IOL measurement that should be at least two working day before the day of surgery (for preparing the IOL).

3. One session of early post operative examination, that is the next day after surgery.

4. The cost package is approximately 40,000Baht* for one eye.

Best regards,

Pakitti Tayanithi, M.D.

Ophthalmologist"

Dr. Pakitti's work schedule can be noted below:

Tuesday during 17.00-19.00 hrs.

Saturday and Sunday during 09.00-12.00 hrs.

Edited by tywais