A beggar: Begging a lucrative job

Thaivisa News

A beggar: Begging a lucrative job

ks.jpg

pic: Khaosod

Mukdahan: – A street beggar has boasted of lucrative earnings by turning his physical handicap into job asset to attract public sympathy.

PreedaKhammungkhun, 39, told Mukdahan municipal authorities that he earned about 600 baht to 1,500 baht per day. He also showed 130,000 baht cash in crisp new banknotes that he kept in the hidden chest pocket of his shirt.

Preeda’s story came to light following a local government’s campaign to enforce the ordnance at Indochina Market, MueangMukdahan district.

Municipality official AdulSirimanled the inspection at the market.

At the market’s street curb, Adul found Preeda at his begging spot with the props such as bicycle for the handicapped and a donation bowl.

Questioned by social worker JarinyaWanthawong, the beggar said he claimed the begging spot in the market for years.

These past few months, his begging revenues at the market amounted to more than 100,000 baht. His yearly income would be more than 400,000 baht.

He said his could pay for the education of his two younger brothers. And his family’s assets include a 20-rai plot for cassava farming.

He said he suffered from leg muscle weakness, a birth defect causing muscular dystrophies in the legs.

He said his physical handicap was actually an asset for street begging. He would put on ragged clothes and neglect to take a bath for days in order to prey on public sympathy.

Although he could walk, he would pretend that he had paralysis.

Under the government’s instruction, the local government has banned begging at markets and tourist attractions.

Not bad crack at all with those earnings. Pity he deceives everyone to get the donations, unlike those with no legs I see shuffling around the bars and other places. They obviously cannot walk, unlike this guy.

In the USA I was in a "Mortons" steak house one night speaking with the manager. The subject of the conversation was the loud rude lady in one of the booths. The manager asked if I recognized her? I let him no I did not and really did not want to, why? He told me that she would beg at one of the city big tourist spots, saying she had four kids to feed. In reality she was single and ate at Morton's a couple of times a week. If your not familiar with Morton's a steak runs about $65.00 and a cocktail runs about $12.00. So it happens every place

• Like 1

Do foreigners need a permit to beg on the streets of Thailand ? I know of a few hundred or more that can use your help after having encounters with bar girls. Because of their serious lack of common sense they lost their fortunes to common farm girls. If you can help contact : I Am A Total Loser Help A Boozer Center (IAATLHAB) at most foreigner bars throughout Thailand

• Like 1

Should we criticise this man for begging?

He is soliciting donations from passers by who give of their own free will to his ''personal welfare programme.''

Now let us compare him to,those in public office who fund their ''personal welfare programmes'' from the public purse and the public are making their donations via the public purse and it's a mandatory contribution.

The beggar is not abusing his position though one could agree he is possibly exploiting his physical condition.However he is not abusing his position via a uniform or as a university employee or banker.

No to my mind he is an ''honest rogue '' who from that which is said has provided for his family from voluntary donations as opposed to the abuse of position whether a government or private position.

No welfare system here unlike my home country the U.K.

• Like 2

In the USA I was in a "Mortons" steak house one night speaking with the manager. The subject of the conversation was the loud rude lady in one of the booths. The manager asked if I recognized her? I let him no I did not and really did not want to, why? He told me that she would beg at one of the city big tourist spots, saying she had four kids to feed. In reality she was single and ate at Morton's a couple of times a week. If your not familiar with Morton's a steak runs about $65.00 and a cocktail runs about $12.00. So it happens every place

It does. I once arrested a beggar for battery against another beggar, arguing territory. He had $300 on his person. But that was nothing.

The victim, a bit pissed and feeling vengeful, reported that the arrestee's vehicle was parked around the corner. The key I took off the guy I arrested opened the doors of a one year old Mercedes. In the trunk was another $12,000 in cash.

Thing was, his sign said "Homeless Vet." This was the truth, no fraud here. In the trunk, there was also a sleeping bag, and lots of clothing.

Good on him. Take a holistic view of this. Zero government benefits or care from anyone for people on disabilities he probably cant work so try and get as much as possible from his own people, no problem as far as I am concerned. Well done and keep it up.

• Like 2

The begging situation in Thailand is really nothing in the big picture of begging. I was contracted in Bangladesh and lived in the capital, Dhaka. There are literally a million beggars and the sight is something I will never forget. They could spot me even in a car with totally blacked out windows - holding a tiny baby of maybe 6 months of age with testicles swollen to the size of a football. Babies getting bones broken to deform legs and are then rented out on a daily basisi to the beggars is normal there. All run by one person who they call the 'King' ... Appalling. I walked back from the training place to where I was living, maybe 150 meters, by the time I'd got to the gates of the compound there was maybe 50 or 60 beggars following and pulling at me, when I got to the gate the guard opened up to let me in and they all started screaming and spitting at him! I walked becuase even though it was 150 meters it could take an hour with the driver because of the traffic but that's another story!

Too many beggars in this world, and yes I thought Thailand was bad until I made a few trips to India !!

The biggest surprise was in Morocco, walking down the street in Casablanca I met a business man with suit, tie and all walking with his son, who was dressed in white shirt and tie. As he approached me the son's hand came out stretched to receive "Alms" a custom in some Muslim Countries. Being an Infidel, I did not understand the custom. Sorry, young man perhaps next time.

Of course I started working at age 15 for the railroad and at 80 I still do consulting for Aircraft Maintenance and Management.

My Grandfather told me, at about 9 years of age, "Work today so you can eat tomorrow" !! I believed him and still do !! I help those who help themselves, not begging !!

Should we criticise this man for begging?

He is soliciting donations from passers by who give of their own free will to his ''personal welfare programme.''

Now let us compare him to,those in public office who fund their ''personal welfare programmes'' from the public purse and the public are making their donations via the public purse and it's a mandatory contribution.

The beggar is not abusing his position though one could agree he is possibly exploiting his physical condition.However he is not abusing his position via a uniform or as a university employee or banker.

No to my mind he is an ''honest rogue '' who from that which is said has provided for his family from voluntary donations as opposed to the abuse of position whether a government or private position.

No welfare system here unlike my home country the U.K.

But if you deceive someone into giving something for something that is not true in Thailand, they say is a crime, well it is if you do it to them,