Problems with pump that provides water pressure for house

konisaan

I know nothing about these types of pumps. There is one regulator that can be adjusted with a screw. If it's turned one way then the pump never kicks in when a tap is turned on. If it's turned the other way, then the pump will kick in every 10 seconds for about 2 seconds, regardless of whether a tap is open or not.

With careful adjustment, the pump can be trimmed so that it does not kick in until a downstairs tap is turned on.Then it will run continuously until the tap is turned off. This is the way it's supposed to function. However, no amount of careful adjustment will allow this correct function when a tap in the house is turned on. The taps in the house are all higher up. When you turn them on, the pump will not kick in.

I cannot find any leaks in the system.

The water pressure from the village is variable.

I don't know whether the cause is a faulty pump an incorrect setup. Any ideas appreciated.

The brand is Lucky Pro. My friend doesn't know the model (I'm posting on his behalf because he's not computer literate)

Given that the water flow rate from the village is variable, wouldn't a small feeder tank be essential? There is currently no feeder tank. Obviously a pump can't push more water than is supplied to it, and without a feeder the pressure on the supply side will just get lower and lower as the pump operates.

It's actually illegal to pump direct from the mains, so a buffer tank is in order, 1000L or so should do the trick. There are several threads on here regarding installing tanks.

I would also investigate if the pump's pressure tank has become waterlogged, this can lead to interesting operational problems. Draining the tank isn't difficult, again quite a few threads with instructions.

• Like 1

Lucky Pro is a Chinese local brand of many types of pumps - the only ones I have used are septic tank type sump pumps - but as said you should never pump water from a mains supply line (low pressure would involve sucking your neighbors wash tub contents (as best case). If you what to increase/maintain pressure you need to pump from a holding tank - and indeed most people do obey that law as it really is common sense. Does pump even have a pressure tank? Or is it a constant pressure type (always on when water needed)?

Lucky Pro is a Chinese local brand of many types of pumps - the only ones I have used are septic tank type sump pumps - but as said you should never pump water from a mains supply line (low pressure would involve sucking your neighbors wash tub contents (as best case). If you what to increase/maintain pressure you need to pump from a holding tank - and indeed most people do obey that law as it really is common sense. Does pump even have a pressure tank? Or is it a constant pressure type (always on when water needed)?

I was at my friend's house a few days ago. He understands now that he has to fit a feeder/buffer tank. Neither the person who installed it, nor the so called local 'expert' that had a look at it for him pointed out the need for this.

There is a round see-through device on the pump which has a kind of diaphragm inside. I believe this is the pressure sensor. You tuned this with a screw. From memory it had water inside it...

The brand is Lucky Pro. My friend doesn't know the model (I'm posting on his behalf because he's not computer literate)

Given that the water flow rate from the village is variable, wouldn't a small feeder tank be essential? There is currently no feeder tank. Obviously a pump can't push more water than is supplied to it, and without a feeder the pressure on the supply side will just get lower and lower as the pump operates.

true. Volume of tank on the suction side should not exceed daily water consumption. I think this amount of water is enough to keep water fresh in tank. Or you can use a special tank under pressure (with a rubber diaphragm inside), then it is necessary to install a check valve to the tank so that water does not leak from the tank back into the water supply.

Edited by STMx