Android 5.0 very easy

astral

Kies has told me that there is an upgrade to Android 5 (Lollipop) on my Galaxy S4

I tried doing it OTA but my link is too slow

so I went SamMobile.com and downloaded the firmware there.

Then used Odin to flash my phone

I did a full backup with Kies before flashing, but it proved to be un-necessary

as all my data and apps were retained. :D

It just took 5.0.1 a few minutes to optimise all the apps

and a few needed updating afterwards

Generally a very painless operation

I have also rooted it which was also very easy

• Like 1

Do you know if you can install firmware from a different country, for example sammobile says there is 5.0 for a note 3 from russia, can that be installed ok on a note 3 from thailand?

It is my understanding that you can do that

I am not sure where my phone originated, but I tried doing an update some months ago

and messed it up, ending up in a visit to the shop

When I got it back I had the Russian FW loaded, meaning that Russian was the first language to appear,

easily fixed in the settings, and a few apps in Russian

That did not happen with the Lollipop FW

BTW There are several versions for the Note 3

Personally I would choose a more european version, but I don't think it really matters

Do you know if you can install firmware from a different country, for example sammobile says there is 5.0 for a note 3 from russia, can that be installed ok on a note 3 from thailand?

This can cause problems.

e.g. With 3g, WiFi

This can cause problems.

e.g. With 3g, WiFi

No it doesn't, because it is the exact same firmware as the one from other countries, only different bloatware is added by each service provider.

Dave.. Where was your phone from ? Asia or UK

I bought it through a Lazada 3rd party seller based in Hong Kong. The phone box is labeled UK/FR. Model XT 1033.

Works fine, no connectivity or local compatibility issues.

Edited by dddave

This can cause problems.

e.g. With 3g, WiFi

If that were the problem, your phone would not be able to Roam, anywhere in the world

This can cause problems.

e.g. With 3g, WiFi

If that were the problem, your phone would not be able to Roam, anywhere in the world

It depends on the hardware and the radio installed.

It *can* cause problems, but in practise I've never had a problem.

A word of warning

I downloaded the Note 3 SM-N9005 from Sammobile to upgrade a friend's phone

The upgrade failed right at the end after loading Hidden.img

Others seem to have had the same problem http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2662373

Not for the light hearted :-(

I downloaded the version for N900 Note 3, rooted it, played around with it and then went back down to Kitkat, xposed framework doesnt work on it whcih means i cannot get rid of all those damn system pop ups, from whatr i can see the only thing thats different is its white!!! no real new features to write home about

A word of warning

Others seem to have had the same problem http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2662373

I downloaded the version for N900 Note 3, rooted it, played around with it and then went back down to Kitkat, xposed framework doesnt work on it whcih means i cannot get rid of all those damn system pop ups, from whatr i can see the only thing thats different is its white!!! no real new features to write home about

There isn't much praise about the LP update, other than better battery life. If you do a search on the android forums you will find that many rolled back to kitkat for different reasons.

As it looks as if the roll outs have stopped, I think they are aware of the issues, and are preparing a fixed version.

A word of warning

If you want to play....

Xposed for Lollipop is finally here!

You can find a list with Q&A on the XDA Portal. Please read it, you will find many answers there. smile.gif

Note that this is still an alpha version and for Lollipop on ARMv7+ devices only.

Please install it only if you're willing to take the risk of boot loops. Just because it's working fine and stable for me doesn't mean it will work for everyone the same way.

Personally I do without it, AdBlock+ takes care of the pop-ups and CM12 gets updates several times a week.

Stable so far.

And I use Go Launcher anyway, so not a massive difference for me.

I read that, dev said no good for Samsung..

Word of warning for anybody who does flash back down to Kitkat, for some reason when i downgraded my files system turned into read only, the apps that write to either phone or sdcard(like thavisa app) wouldnt work, couldnt even copy to either phone or sd storage, as soon as i upgraded again it worked!!

No issues here with Lollipop

I like the cleaner look with all the features and apps

Battery life seems the same

How would you catch a phone or data signal with no radio in your phone?

That is quite a different matter and has nothing to do with Radio

No issues here with Lollipop

I like the cleaner look with all the features and apps

Battery life seems the same

How would you catch a phone or data signal with no radio in your phone?

That is quite a different matter and has nothing to do with Radio

So you mean HSDPA, WCDMA or LTE are no radio frequencies and you don't need a radio for them.

I suggest you read up a bit before you join the discussion again.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LTE_%28telecommunication%29#Frequency_bands

LTE, an abbreviation for Long-Term Evolution, commonly marketed as 4G LTE, is a standard for wireless communication of high-speed data for mobile phones and data terminals. It is based on the GSM/EDGE and UMTS/HSPA network technologies, increasing the capacity and speed using a different radio interface together with core network improvements

LTE, an abbreviation for Long-Term Evolution, commonly marketed as 4G LTE, is a standard for wireless communication of high-speed data for mobile phones and data terminals. It is based on the GSM/EDGE and UMTS/HSPA network technologies, increasing the capacity and speed using a different radio interface together with core network improvements

A Chicog mentioned these are hardware issues

and will not be affected by the installation of a new release of FW

I took Radio to be broadcast services where band plan and channel spacing can be quite different

depending on where you live

Edited by astral

A Chicog mentioned these are hardware issues

and will not be affected by the installation of a new release of FW

I took Radio to be broadcast services where band plan and channel spacing can be quite different

depending on where you live

The data radio is the modem and is a piece of software that gets updated each time you update the firmware.

Edited by Anthony5