End of ED-visa. How to proceed?

My ED-visa is coming to an end, and I will not renewing it/getting a new ED. I will however get a tourist visa for a few more months before I come back home.

I don't trust my school, they are very disorganized, so I ask here:

- Do i need to to just exit Thailand at the date of expiration of my ED visa? Do I need to cancel anything?

Any specific advice on thimy question would be appreciated.

Paco

If you need to cancel it depends if you are on an extensions of stay or not and where you will exit the country. If you plan leaving Thailand at the border at Nong Kai you will need a letter from your school indicating your last day of study, to check if you are on overstay or not. At other borders there will not be a problem.

• Like 1

Hi Mario,

I am not sure I understand the "If you need to cancel it depends if you are on an extensions of stay".

Do I need to cancel my ED visa before it expires?

You mention the extension of stay. Do yo mean that I can extend my ED-visa past its expiration date, or are you referring to the 90-days extension?

You are either here on 90 days you got when you entred the country or you are here on an extension of stay which you got at an immigration office. If the last, you need to cancel your extension. But only if you are no longer studying. The last day of your study is the day you must leave the country.

Im in the same situation. I already told my school I want to cancel my course and im still on an extension of stay until 31st march. So I was under the impression I need to leave the country before that date. Or do i actually need to cancel my extension of stay at the same day i quit school and leave the country at the same day as well?

my school said i can just leave before my extension runs out nor do i need any kind of cancellation letter

Once you stop attending school the reason for the extension is gone and it is no longer valid !

The extension needs to be cancelled, using a letter from the school, at immigration.

Once cancelled you can apply for a 7 day extension of stay (1900Bht) or leave on the day the extension is cancelled.

You can get the letter and leave on the date it says you are no longer attending classes. That can be last day of your extension or any day before that.

You could leave on that date and their would be no need to go immigration.

If you leave at Nong Khai they will send you back to the immigration office near the bridge to have your extension cancelled.

• Like 1

So basically, from what you guys are saying it comes down to 2 options:

1. Get that letter and leave on the date it says you are no longer attending classes, if specified.

2. Leave on the last day of the extension (should be the same day the ED expires), and no need for any letter, as the extension already runs out on that date.

Ok thanks guys!

You are either here on 90 days you got when you entred the country or you are here on an extension of stay which you got at an immigration office. If the last, you need to cancel your extension. But only if you are no longer studying. The last day of your study is the day you must leave the country.

Why do you need to cancel an extension of stay if you have an ED visa? Can't you just fly out of the country then get a tourist visa at some Thai embassy in another country, or even fly back in for less than 30 days on a visa exempt? Will they turn you down from entering the country because you didn't cancel your extension of stay?

I know when I came back for my 2nd year of ED visa I didn't need to cancel any extensions of stay before flying out. And the 2nd year you get a brand new visa at a Thai embassy/consulate, just like starting fresh again with a new visa.

I'm confused about this too. Surely the extension is automatically cancelled when you leave the country, if you don't get a re-entry? Or do I need reading comprehension practice?

Why do you need to cancel an extension of stay if you have an ED visa? Can't you just fly out of the country then get a tourist visa at some Thai embassy in another country, or even fly back in for less than 30 days on a visa exempt? Will they turn you down from entering the country because you didn't cancel your extension of stay?

I know when I came back for my 2nd year of ED visa I didn't need to cancel any extensions of stay before flying out. And the 2nd year you get a brand new visa at a Thai embassy/consulate, just like starting fresh again with a new visa.

At all border crossings you can do that without a problem, but not at Nong Khai. There they insist you cancel your permission to stay or at least have a letter from the school indicating your last day of study. That is done to determine if you are on overstay or not. (last day of study is the day you need to leave the country)

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

i have been keeping an eye on this thread for my own situation.

i recently decided to stop going to my thai classes whilst on my first extension.

even though i was departing thailand from chiang mai, my school advised me that i needed a letter

to take to immigration to say i was cancelling my extension.

they dated my last lesson on the day my extension ended.

a few days after i would be flying.

in and out of immigration in an hour, no problem.

and no problem when departing chiang mai.

i then got yet another triple tourist visa in london,

the only question asked when i re-entered thailand,

was how long do you wiswh to stay for?

answer 180 days.

i always respect ubonjoe and mario's knowledge on all things visa,

though i was happy to go to chiang mai immigration first just in case there were any issues.

I've got a friend in a similar situation. His classes are over, but the visa doesn't expire until mid-June. And his school told him he doesn't need a letter. He wants to leave TH next week. If he goes to Savannakhet without a letter from the uni, is he going to have any problems getting out of the country?

Wow I had no idea of this. I exited at Nong Khai on the last day of my extension with no letter. I had no issues.

I then got a double entry tourist visa and entered with no problems.

Did I just get lucky or what?

Edited by maanoi

Wow I had no idea of this. I exited at Nong Khai on the last day of my extension with no letter. I had no issues.

I then got a double entry tourist visa and entered with no problems.

Did I just get lucky or what?

The last time I had to do it, I was told you're kinda rolling the dice without the letter. I was able to cancel my extension at immigration in BKK without the letter, but was told a different officer might've asked for the letter.

You can leave on or before the date on the letter. After that date you could be fined for overstay.

They are looking for people on extensions that have not been attending any classes and cannot get a letter from the school.