Krabi (mainland) or Koh Samui for month of May?

kkuls

Save this Post
Krabi (mainland) vs. Koh Samui for month of May?
Mar 02, 2015, 12:01 AM
My husband and I will be spending pretty much the entire month of May on Koh Samui, or in Krabi. By that time, we will have already been in Chiang Mai and the northern areas for a total of three months (I know, I know....crazy to be in Chiang Mai during smoke season)!. We are both late 40s, and want some decent beach time.

How bad is it in May (typically) on mainland Krabi for rain? I have read NUMEROUS different travel guides that say not to visit Krabi in May. Seriously though, if the rain consists mainly of brief downpours, I'm thinking it might not be a bad thing?

Our preference would be to stay in a condo, given the length of time we will be staying, but a guest house would do in a pinch as well.. Is it necessary to book in advance during low season, or are there deals to be found on arrival? A bit more info:

-We like to have drinks, but prefer smaller bars to crazy clubs

-We prefer to eat local cuisine, rather than fine farang dining (get enough of that at home)

-Need to have relatively reliable internet access (Skype calls to elderly parents)

-Like to have a nice beach where we can go into the water (but I am a crappy swimmer)

-Would prefer to stay in a condo, so would be nice to have groceries within a reasonable distance

-Will not be renting transport, but do not mind walking (or taking songthaews)

-Shopping is not a priority

-Money is not really an issue, but we have simple tastes in accommodation (hardly spend time in the room)

Any recommendations as to area and accommodation would be much appreciated!

Just back form Samui and could not see spending anymore than the 2 days i was there.

Its extremely overcrowded so unless u stay in a nice place an never venture out its not worth it.

I went thru Mae nam and its a small city now compared to 10 years ago.

Head to Lanta island!!! although no condos but can get great deals on a beach front bungalow. Main town is very laid back and very inexpensive to eat an drink

Only drag about lanta is not easy for walking ( distances) but plenty of mini marts

Same sea as u get in Phuket

Much nice than Krabi an only 90 minutes away for day trips

Mostly april an may are the hot seasons not rainy

What do u have against PHuket? u can get all u need here and is off season

'Fraid I didn't like Samui one jot Smokie.

Seemed to be a tourist island full of tourists. Krabi has a Thai side to it away from the obvious tourist haunts of Ao Nang and some of the islands. Can't comment on the weather though.

Edit: well ok - one jot is a bit of an exaggeration - it is very pretty in parts and Koh Phangan (sp?) is close by. I still found it very annoying from the tourist overload viewpoint though.

Edited by SantiSuk

'Fraid I didn't like Samui one jot Smokie.

Seemed to be a tourist island full of tourists. Krabi has a Thai side to it away from the obvious tourist haunts of Ao Nang and some of the islands. Can't comment on the weather though.

Edit: well ok - one jot is a bit of an exaggeration - it is very pretty in parts and Koh Phangan (sp?) is close by. I still found it very annoying from the tourist overload viewpoint though.

What time of year did you visit?

I have nothing at all against Phuket, as I've never been there. My husband has been there (years go), and we thought we'd go someplace neither of us has ever been. I;m just trying to narrow the choices so I don't end up with analysis paralysis! I'm sure wherever we end up going will be a welcome relief from the Chiang Mai smoke by the time we leave.

Samui is very crowded. The roads are crazy and full of traffic. But, it's a beautiful island with lots to do. Great beaches and clear water.

Krabi has also grown substantially. But because it's not an island, there is more room to "grow" without being too congested. In either place, you'll need transport. A scary thought on Samui, less so in Krabi.

Phuket is a very large island with lots of different options. And some fantastic beaches. Again, having your own transport is necessary, unless you'll stick to just one small area. Which you could do if you stayed in, say, Kamala.

Why not try both out? Easy to get from one to another.

Maybe this will help:

http://tezza-thailandbeachesandislands.blogspot.com/

Just saw this:

http://www.weather2travel.com/climate-guides/thailand/krabi.php

http://www.weather2travel.com/climate-guides/thailand/ko-samui.php

That's a lot of rain. A good friend of mine moved here to Pattaya from Krabi last year. One of the biggest reasons was the amount of rain. I was in Phuket in August several years ago and it rained pretty much every day. Hard to have beach activities with that kind of weather. Even though it never rained all day, just off an on.

I'm not recommending this, but seems Hua Hin doesn't have much rain in May. Though the beaches are nothing like Samui.

http://www.weather2travel.com/climate-guides/thailand/hua-hin.php

Samui is very crowded. The roads are crazy and full of traffic. But, it's a beautiful island with lots to do. Great beaches and clear water.

Krabi has also grown substantially. But because it's not an island, there is more room to "grow" without being too congested. In either place, you'll need transport. A scary thought on Samui, less so in Krabi.

Phuket is a very large island with lots of different options. And some fantastic beaches. Again, having your own transport is necessary, unless you'll stick to just one small area. Which you could do if you stayed in, say, Kamala.

Why not try both out? Easy to get from one to another.

Maybe this will help:

http://tezza-thailandbeachesandislands.blogspot.com/

Just saw this:

http://www.weather2travel.com/climate-guides/thailand/krabi.php

http://www.weather2travel.com/climate-guides/thailand/ko-samui.php

That's a lot of rain. A good friend of mine moved here to Pattaya from Krabi last year. One of the biggest reasons was the amount of rain. I was in Phuket in August several years ago and it rained pretty much every day. Hard to have beach activities with that kind of weather. Even though it never rained all day, just off an on.

I'm not recommending this, but seems Hua Hin doesn't have much rain in May. Though the beaches are nothing like Samui.

http://www.weather2travel.com/climate-guides/thailand/hua-hin.php

Some parts of Samui are very crowded, especially now.... some parts are like a deserted Island, so to say that all of Samui is busy is not correct.... Also by May it will be far less crowded... (Chawang etc) easy enough to stay away from!

I have had several visitors this year staying in the Maenam area, and they have all loved it! One couple stayed in Lamai area and wished they had chosen Maenam!

Anyone commenting about the Maenam area and saying it's too busy has not ventured off the main road... so many people never venture off the beaten track and just give it a bad rap! .... Worst time of day for the main road is between 4 and 6 pm, with the heavier traffic of people headed home from work...

I live here, Maenam beach is several kilometers long, the busiest area is usually around Soi 4 in the centre of Maenam...but does offer some good restaurants and various shops etc... not a huge distance either walking or taking a Songteau, to get around... But other areas of Maenam are pretty darn quiet!

Another couple of very nice beaches near by are Ban Tai beach and Ban Por beaches, both on the north end..... but a bit further for shopping... but still some good restaurants etc ... thumbsup.gif

There will be lots of choices of places to stay, so I would also suggest do not book a whole month at one spot... look around and choose what suites! (all price ranges)...

Look here for some images both I and others have posted in the Islands forum!

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/125263-images-of-samui-phangan-and-tao/page-24

For another choice for a beautiful quiet beach area, look at Maehaad / Ko Ma area of Koh Phangan, (north west corner) I would recommend Island View Cabana!

Agreed that Maenam's back roads are not busy. But if you have to venture out, that main road is a bugger. We were there in May last year and it was chock a block with vehicles. Sometimes taking us 10 minutes or more to get across the road when we had to venture out. But it is a very beautiful beach and one of our favorites. But I prefer Ban Kruit. Very peaceful and very quiet.

wai2.gifwai2.gifwai2.gif

Perhaps Ban Krut a bit too quite, for some, but I agree for some people it would be very peaceful! ... by May though the tides are very low in that area (south and west coasts) more swim-able waters on north end! wink.png

As said, being here for a month, one can move around a little and see what suites! ... even pop over to Koh Phangan or Koa Toa for a few days.... easy enough to do on high speed ferries and not that expensive ....

Weather usually good in May too! thumbsup.gif

• Like 1

Perhaps Ban Krut a bit too quite, for some, but I agree for some people it would be very peaceful! ... by May though the tides are very low in that area (south and west coasts) more swim-able waters on north end! wink.png

As said, being here for a month, one can move around a little and see what suites! ... even pop over to Koh Phangan or Koa Toa for a few days.... easy enough to do on high speed ferries and not that expensive ....

Weather usually good in May too! thumbsup.gif

Ban Kruit is OK for a week or less. Unless you are into some form of water activity. Or enjoy the solitude. We stayed there for about a week with my friend who is a kite boarder. The water was fantastic. But I've heard a real mess during the monsoons!

We also love Thung Wua Laen. Guess we were lucky then also. Great weather and NO sand flies! LOL

I've only been to one beach on KPN and one on Tao. Would love to go back and explore them again. Avoiding the craziness of the FMP, of course! 555555

• Like 1