Capital punishment concerns raised over Thai backpackers' murder case

webfact

Such are the draconian defamation laws that I do not accuse anyone, but there are many unanswered questions . Seen all the evidence, participated in the interviews did you. The boys are innocent until proven guilty.

Now I've jus read in your post #99

"Such are the draconian defamation laws that I do not accuse anyone, but there are many unanswered questions"

Confused......

The statement I made regarding 'crystal clear' is counterintuitive. Normally, counterintuitive implies that I actually expect an "opposite" scenario to be true. In other words, I was demonstrating that despite evidence to the contrary the B2 are regarded (by a couple of posters on here) as having committed the crimes.

And how is anybody expected to know that unless you say. Confusing by design.

I'm sorry I confused you. Perhaps you haven't read many of my previous posts, which all support the innocence of the B2. Read 134 & 135 in their entirety, and you should be able to understand where I'm coming from.

Why would Thai people destroy evidence and lie to the RTP if it wasn't them involved? With the subsequent arrest of the B2, it makes the Thai behaviour even more strange - and leads me to the conclusion that no way were the B2 involved (except to a couple of prolific posters on this site).

.. Or else maybe there haven't any rapes/murders on KT similar to those SEP 2014 because the perps in that case are in jail on Koh Samui. But wouldn't it be just peachy-keen for the defense and their supporters if there were to be another rape/murder while the 2 Burmese are in custody such that they can say "You see - we told you so!"

Or else maybe Nomsod and Mon have been given an ultimation that their necks are on the line should any more rapes/ murders occur on that beach. And, further, I am sure that no-one on this site would ever want a repeat of this tragic crime. It's not humorous, JLC.

• Like 2

.. Or else maybe there haven't any rapes/murders on KT similar to those SEP 2014 because the perps in that case are in jail on Koh Samui. But wouldn't it be just peachy-keen for the defense and their supporters if there were to be another rape/murder while the 2 Burmese are in custody such that they can say "You see - we told you so!"

Or else maybe Nomsod and Mon have been given an ultimation that their necks are on the line should any more rapes/ murders occur on that beach. And, further, I am sure that no-one on this site would ever want a repeat of this tragic crime. It's not humorous, JLC.

I've read any number of times by the same poster of the 'real killers' who are at large just waiting in the shadows for their next unsuspecting victim. And once again it is certainly within the realm of possibility that the 'real killers' are sitting in jail in Koh Samui. As for anyone rooting for another murder, that was your idea. All I said was basically that the defense probably would not look a gift horse in the mouth

The 2 persons you mention above as of now have not been charged with any crime yet you have no problem in suggesting that someone may have advised them of their future actions assuming that they have committed the crime for which they have not been charged..

Edited by JLCrab
  • Like 2

Such are the draconian defamation laws that I do not accuse anyone, but there are many unanswered questions . Seen all the evidence, participated in the interviews did you. The boys are innocent until proven guilty.

"Such are the draconian defamation laws that I do not accuse anyone, but there are many unanswered questions"

Confused......

The statement I made regarding 'crystal clear' is counterintuitive. Normally, counterintuitive implies that I actually expect an "opposite" scenario to be true. In other words, I was demonstrating that despite evidence to the contrary the B2 are regarded (by a couple of posters on here) as having committed the crimes.

I'm sorry I confused you. Perhaps you haven't read many of my previous posts, which all support the innocence of the B2. Read 134 & 135 in their entirety, and you should be able to understand where I'm coming from.

Why would Thai people destroy evidence and lie to the RTP if it wasn't them involved? With the subsequent arrest of the B2, it makes the Thai behaviour even more strange - and leads me to the conclusion that no way were the B2 involved (except to a couple of prolific posters on this site).

Why would you cherry pick one statement from the police to believe and ignore the rest?

The very definition of defamation. The addition of the word "perhaps" doesn't make it less so.

I do find the lengths to which people will go to insinuate the involvement of former persons of interest laughable. General Panya stated that they were cleared on the 25th of September. The news stated that only about 30 of the over 200 DNA samples collected had been tested on the 26th of September. Just prior to his reassignment he stated that they would make arrests within 3 days. The 2 Burmese men were arrested 2 Days later.

Confused......

I've read a lot on this topic but trying to remember who wrote what and when is impossible for me. And when it gets down to lengthy to's and fro's between some people I get bored. I'm more interested to see that the B2 get a fair trial and that people here do not accuse them of being guilty until after the trial assuming that's the result. Hence my post.

Personally I think the investigation was a total cockup by the RTP especially every BIB and his dog involved in the case talking to the press. A total farce. The foreign tourist police volunteers have a press officer why not the RTP.

I've read any number of times by the same poster of the 'real killers' who are at large just waiting in the shadows for their next unsuspecting victim. And once again it is certainly within the realm of possibility that the 'real killers' are sitting in jail in Koh Samui. As for anyone rooting for another murder, that was your idea. All I said was basically that the defense probably would not look a gift horse in the mouth

The 2 persons you mention above as of now have not been charged with any crime yet you have no problem in suggesting that someone may have advised them of their future actions assuming that they have committed the crime for which they have not been charged..

Actually, what you said is clear. But wouldn't it be just peachy-keen for the defense and their supporters if there were to be another rape/murder while the 2 Burmese are in custody such that they can say "You see - we told you so!"

I am a defence supporter, and the last thing I'd want to hear about is another murder - so it wouldn't be peachy-keen, JLC. And while it is a possibility that the B2 are the 'real killers', it is just as possible that they are not.

And if I was the headman, I'd make sure both Mon & Nomsod understood that tourist protection was imperative to their businesses, and that he would expect them to ensure their safety on his patch - or else. Not too difficult to understand, is it?

Keesters,

It is legitimate to suggest that the 2 Burmese men are guilty. However, it is not legit to state that they are guilty until after the trial.

I do agree that the police should not have made so many public statements. Once they made one that did not pan out they were forced to issue a retraction. Instead of leaving it at that they went ahead and issued another ad nauseum.

I think they have the killers in custody. I won't be sure until I see the evidence submitted in the trial

• Like 1

The very definition of defamation. The addition of the word "perhaps" doesn't make it less so.

I do find the lengths to which people will go to insinuate the involvement of former persons of interest laughable. General Panya stated that they were cleared on the 25th of September. The news stated that only about 30 of the over 200 DNA samples collected had been tested on the 26th of September. Just prior to his reassignment he stated that they would make arrests within 3 days. The 2 Burmese men were arrested 2 Days later.

Read 159. No mention of accusing Mon or Nomsod of anything other than in the interests of future tourist safety. As far as I know only the RTP can answer the questions as to their innocence or not.

Actually, what you said is clear. But wouldn't it be just peachy-keen for the defense and their supporters if there were to be another rape/murder while the 2 Burmese are in custody such that they can say "You see - we told you so!"

I am a defence supporter, and the last thing I'd want to hear about is another murder - so it wouldn't be peachy-keen, JLC. And while it is a possibility that the B2 are the 'real killers', it is just as possible that they are not.

And if I was the headman, I'd make sure both Mon & Nomsod understood that tourist protection was imperative to their businesses, and that he would expect them to ensure their safety on his patch - or else. Not too difficult to understand, is it?

That's right. That's what i wrote. The defense would almost be certain to be able to get the B2 off if there were another murder on Koh Tao in mostly similar circumstances. I have also way back written that if the persons way up the food chain who might advise the persons you mention to lay low might have also hung them out to dry long before now if they knew they were responsible for the crimes.

The difference between the B2 and persons you like to mention as being responsible for these horrendous crimes is that the B2 have been charged with the crimes and will soon stand trial and the others have not. You seem to consider that as a mere technicality.

There used to be a poster usually in the business forum who would end every post with kow-jai-mai and who also had no problem in saying that the reason you disagree with me is that you are too stupid to understand what I am saying.

Edited by JLCrab

That's right. That's what i wrote. The defense would almost be certain to be able to get the B2 off if there were another murder on Koh Tao in mostly similar circumstances. I have also way back written that if the persons way up the food chain who might advise the persons you mention to lay low might have also hung them out to dry long before now if they knew they were responsible for the crimes.

The difference between the B2 and persons you like to mention as being responsible for these horrendous crimes is that the B2 have been charged with the crimes and will soon stand trial and the others have not. You seem to consider that as a mere technicality.

i wouldn't want to hear about another murder on Koh Tao even if it gets the B2 off the hook. Another victim, another family in grief - no, there's been enough already.

Sorry, don't agree about the foodchain, not in Thai society where family protectionism is paramount.

Read my response above to JD. Only the RTP can answer whether Nomsod and Mon are innocent. My focus is on hoping for a fair trial of the B2. Media pressure for transparency could help.

Keesters,

It is legitimate to suggest that the 2 Burmese men are guilty. However, it is not legit to state that they are guilty until after the trial.

I do agree that the police should not have made so many public statements. Once they made one that did not pan out they were forced to issue a retraction. Instead of leaving it at that they went ahead and issued another ad nauseum.

I think they have the killers in custody. I won't be sure until I see the evidence submitted in the trial

Fine point between suggesting quilt and stating out right guilt. I see no problem with your last paragraph as you clearly state you're unsure and will await the trial. Just wish others could

L.mbe so word perfect.

BTW the correct way to refer to a user when not quoting a post of theirs is to proceed the user name with an ampersand. As in @jdinasia. The @ triggers a TV notification to the user that his name has been used. @username must have notifications on and configured correctly for this to work. Just thought you'd like to know the proper etiquette. No sweat.

Edited by Keesters

I really can't bother to wade through heaps of "It is so because the RTP has teldt me so" or "No it is not...because...brain...!".

Fact is: everybody who still thinks/ ever thought/ is thinking, this will be a fair trial, is dangerously insane.

No matter who gave what to whom and who said what!

I didn't write any fiction about party A saying to party B "No more murders for a while, hey lads?"

My very non-fiction is, whether actually guilty or not, barring the unforeseen, there will be a trial.

I really can't bother to wade through heaps of "It is so because the RTP has teldt me so" or "No it is not...because...brain...!".

Fact is: everybody who still thinks/ ever thought/ is thinking, this will be a fair trial, is dangerously insane.

We can hope for a fair trial can't we? You concluding that it won't is just as bad as people saying outright they are guilty. How do you know the future? In case you hadn't noticed Thailand is under a new government with new ideas. Anything can happen. Nobody knows and that includes you. Now who's insane?

• Like 1

To preempt the incoming posts I would like to iterate the following rules. Naturally ALL forum rules apply (as always).

13) You will not post links to other Thailand forums, or forums which could reasonably be construed as competition to Thaivisa.com or its sponsors.

18) You will not post phone numbers, email addresses, business names, or web/Facebook/Twitter/Google+ addresses in posts or signatures. Web addresses to personal non-commercial sites sites/blogs, or Facebook/Twitter/Google+ addresses, may be posted in a member's profile page.

20) You will not post any member's personal information including emails, personal messages, photos or web site details.
Advertising, sponsors, user accounts

Immediate posting suspensions for violations of these rules without exception.

• Like 1

So far, there has not been any rebuttal about my assertion that had the B2 committed this crime, the locals would have marched them into the RTP HQ. Had they been involved, the Headman would have released the CCTV, Nomsod would not have fled, and the RTP would have had an easy time. If the DNA matched, there would have been independent verification, and the farcical re-enactment would not have occurred.

Such are the draconian defamation laws that I do not accuse anyone, but there are many unanswered questions.

Exactly Stephen well said.

Just an open and transparent case. Those that wish anything less could be conspirators in a cover up.

I know which side of the fence I sit on.

You are the one trying to have potentially incriminating testimony taken on the UK to be withhold, in the name of justice and transparency, apparently. :rolleyes:

Alex. .

Your statement is defamatory and libelous. I have never at any point suggested that any evidence should be witheld so backup your claims or remove your defamatory and vexatious comment as it's wholly without foundation.

Edited by loonodingle

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

If there were additional gang rapes or murders before or during the trial, that would not compel the RTP to let the B2 out of jail. That's kindergaden mentality. Of course none of us want any more crimes on the little island. What I was saying is two-fold: It's no secret that I believe the real culprits are out there. And criminals have a tendency, if they get away with a dire crime, to commit added crimes in the future - maybe months or years later.

The RTP and Brit experts, by doing shoddy and incomplete investigative work, are increasing the odds of dire crimes taking place in the future, on Ko Tao and elsewhere in southern Thailand. The rape of a pretty backpacker Dutch girl (the Thai perp initially admitted it, then denied it the next day), comes to mind. He was buddies with local cops (sound familiar?) so, of course, he got off scot free, without even a slap on the wrist. Southern Thai beach resorts can be hazardous for backpackers. Beware.

Edited by boomerangutang

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

If there were additional gang rapes or murders before or during the trial, that would not compel the RTP to let the B2 out of jail. That's kindergaden mentality. Of course none of us want any more crimes on the little island. What I was saying is two-fold: It's no secret that I believe the real culprits are out there. And criminals have a tendency, if they get away with a dire crime, to commit added crimes in the future - maybe months or years later.

The RTP and Brit experts, by doing shoddy and incomplete investigative work, are increasing the odds of dire crimes taking place in the future, on Ko Tao and elsewhere in southern Thailand. The rape of a pretty backpacker Dutch girl (the Thai perp initially admitted it, then denied it the next day), comes to mind. He was buddies with local cops (sound familiar?) so, of course, he got off scot free, without even a slap on the wrist. Southern Thai beach resorts can be hazardous for backpackers. Beware.

From the above: "It's no secret that I believe the real culprits are out there. And criminals have a tendency, if they get away with a dire crime, to commit added crimes in the future - maybe months or years later."

Great -- I'm sure along with the 700K taxi driver that you'll be a great witness for the defense when the trial starts.

So far, there has not been any rebuttal about my assertion that had the B2 committed this crime, the locals would have marched them into the RTP HQ. Had they been involved, the Headman would have released the CCTV, Nomsod would not have fled, and the RTP would have had an easy time. If the DNA matched, there would have been independent verification, and the farcical re-enactment would not have occurred.

Such are the draconian defamation laws that I do not accuse anyone, but there are many unanswered questions.

Exactly Stephen well said.

Just an open and transparent case. Those that wish anything less could be conspirators in a cover up.

I know which side of the fence I sit on.

You are the one trying to have potentially incriminating testimony taken on the UK to be withhold, in the name of justice and transparency, apparently. rolleyes.gif

Alex. .

Your statement is defamatory and libelous. I have never at any point suggested that any evidence should be witheld so backup your claims or remove your defamatory and vexatious comment as it's wholly without foundation.

We would all like to see an open and transparent case. For this reason many of us have asked for all CCTV footage of that night/morning to be made available.

• Like 2

Keesters,

Fine point between suggesting quilt and stating out right guilt. I see no problem with your last paragraph as you clearly state you're unsure and will await the trial. Just wish others could

L.mbe so word perfect.

BTW the correct way to refer to a user when not quoting a post of theirs is to proceed the user name with an ampersand. As in @jdinasia. The @ triggers a TV notification to the user that his name has been used. @username must have notifications on and configured correctly for this to work. Just thought you'd like to know the proper etiquette. No sweat.

I don't get notification of replies. Only likes. I have brought this up with forum support

We can hope for a fair trial can't we? You concluding that it won't is just as bad as people saying outright they are guilty. How do you know the future? In case you hadn't noticed Thailand is under a new government with new ideas. Anything can happen. Nobody knows and that includes you. Now who's insane?

yeah...ahm...okay!

Little reality check for you, here!

The "new government" already praised the complete flawed case by the RTP as exceptional work...or something like that!

We have already seen so many flaws, so many contradictions- and still you "believe" there will be a fair trial?

I find it easier to believe in unicorns and witches!

It already is NO fair trial, up to this point!

When this trial starts this summer there will most likely be a BBC and maybe CNN video crew with legal experts, translators, and reporters inside the courtroom and outside. If, as people have no problem suggesting on here, there are whatever number of persons who are fully aware that the 2 accused are innocent and in fact know who are the 'real killers', that will be a hard thing to bottle up under such scrutiny.

Edited by JLCrab
  • Like 1

yeah...ahm...okay!

Little reality check for you, here!

The "new government" already praised the complete flawed case by the RTP as exceptional work...or something like that!

We have already seen so many flaws, so many contradictions- and still you "believe" there will be a fair trial?

I find it easier to believe in unicorns and witches!

It already is NO fair trial, up to this point!

Never said "believe" I said "hope for". A big difference. Please quote me correctly or don't quote at all.

And why do you have to be so cynical. Give the trial a chance. Then you can have your say. Or are you another one if these crystal ball owners foretelling the future like the lottery numbers seen in some tree bark. Oh that's right you believe in witches and unicorns don't you.

And whatever has happened in the past will hopefully all come out in the trial. The world is watching and the government knows it. Why do you think they issued that statement. Hardly likely to admit a cockup are they. Who knows what is going on in the background in order to make this case seem kosher in the eyes of the world. But then you could always get your crystal ball out again and tell us.

Edited by Keesters

When this trial starts this summer there will most likely be a BBC and maybe CNN video crew with legal experts, translators, and reporters inside the courtroom and outside. If, as people have no problem suggesting on here, there are whatever number of persons who are fully aware that the 2 accused are innocent and in fact know who are the 'real killers', that will be a hard thing to bottle up under such scrutiny.

Cameras and farang reporters in the court room. Has that ever been allowed before? Not sure even Thai cameras are allowed but I haven't watched Thai TV in years. Certainly wasn't the case when I did watch. Nice idea but will it happen? I don't think so but I'd like to be proved wrong.

They will have reporters and legal experts/translators inside the courtroom. The cameras will be outside of course taking note of all the prosecution witnesses entering the court to offer their perjured testimony.

So it'll be up for grabs as to whether the prosecution is smart enough to pull off this sham trial under such scrutiny if that's what it turns out to be.

• Like 1

To the best of my knowledge there will be no recording allowed in the courtroom, even on paper. The rest of your post I concur with