Mainland Chinese family ejected from flight over seatbelt dispute

webfact

The Chinese the oldest civilisation in the world.

Lost the plot somewhere along the line.

We are all barbarians to them.

Sounds the other way round to me.

having worked in china the hierarchy goes like this:

chinese people

animal

foreigners

it's a country of extremes i loved it and hated it there. it can be an amazing place and some of the people wonderful but it and they can seriously do your head in sometime; regularly being followed round a supermarket by locals just to see what i'm buying, being stared at and shouted at all the time...

• Like 1

Jesus, I've taken hundreds of flights over the last 25 years and can honestly say I have never been troubled by any passenger in particular, kids, or not. Perhaps I am just lucky, or am I just not an intolerant, racist bigot with a hair trigger??

• Like 1

As soon as a Cathay Pacific plane hits the tarmac on landing, there is always at least one PRC passenger who thinks it is a good time to jump up and empty the overhead.

Yes, it's quite common to hear mainly Asian passengers unclip their seatbelts while the plane is still doing 200km/h down the runway.

Then they crowd the doorway so they can be first out.

It's a bit of a pain!

• Like 2

Good example for parents and grand to teach young ones some good behavior instead of spoil them.

Other thing ....maybe crew did not learn how to convince kids in other manner to wear the belts ......

But this is China and their growing" western style" new culture...

coffee1.gif

As soon as a Cathay Pacific plane hits the tarmac on landing, there is always at least one PRC passenger who thinks it is a good time to jump up and empty the overhead.

Yes, it's quite common to hear mainly Asian passengers unclip their seatbelts while the plane is still doing 200km/h down the runway.

It's a bit of a pain!

They are too stupid to realise that they are going to wait long time at baggage carousel for their luggage, there was no need to rush! As another poster said: you can't fix stupid!

• Like 2

Old doesn't necessarily mean good.

They haven't given the world much since foot-binding and female infanticide.

• Like 2

Posts with racial slurs have been removed.

Must have been lots of them and I don't wonder whywai.gif

Actually, no there hasn't been a lot that required removing. By and large members have been careful in chosing their words and it is appreciated.

• Like 1

You forgot gunpowder. Unfortunately they don't use it for unruly Chinese tourists...

• Like 1

Similar problem in business class on Thai flight from Phuket to BKK early Saturday morning a week ago

Complete bloody nuisance.

Can't control their own kids.

Frankly, kids should be banned from business class anyway (together with Aussies in vests)

It's unfair to pass a judgement that ALL Children should not be allowed in Business Class because their parents are unable to occupy or contain them.

We travel regularly, 20+ flights by the time my Son was a year old - All in Business Class without ever any issues... The same can't be said for drunk passengers, who on a couple of flights caused a commotion. Of course, my Son has cried a couple of times, on those occasions he's been taken into the Galley and calmed down fairly quickly - In short, from what I've witnessed of my own child and others is that the children are no more disturbing than the food cart coming around.

That said, some kids are shocking and the parents don't care - IMO - the parents should be spoken with, on behalf of the other passengers the flight attendants should force the parents to make the effort in taking responsibility and controlling their children. But, I've never witnessed a situation with kids that disturbs me from my movie or meal etc...

If I pay for the seat, I, my Wife and Son have as much right to be there as any other paying passenger... I do include a caveat in this: Parents must be able to control their children, also in Economy Class.

Affording Business Class doesn't give you any more exclusionary rights, perhaps we should exclude anyone without a Post Grad education lest they have not learnt to behave appropriately... Of course, this is daft.

--------

More on topic: On Thai Airways those small lap belts are not provided... i..e the ones which loop around my lap belt and secure my child while he is in on my lap.

From the age of 2, my son will be in his own seat - I will also use a cares harness to secure him more adequately...

Travelling with kids can be challenging, however, crappy parenting can make it much worse.

Why not design a belt who can be attached to a parents belt for situations like this? Can't be that difficult.

Obviously this kid should have had a belt taken to him some time ago. We are loosing control of our kids today. Its the new anti-spank generation. You can talk till your blue in the face to kids but there comes a time when enough is enough and you have to move up to the next level. I had the belt taken to me a number of times and I think it made me a better person.

Even the most well behaved children will act up at times. It's on the parents to take action. I don't mind being on planes when children are present as long as their parents are assertive and take appropriate action when necessary.

I have been on planes and buses where the kid wails for hours. Funny thing they always seem to be in the seat in front or behind me.

• Like 1

Even the most well behaved children will act up at times. It's on the parents to take action. I don't mind being on planes when children are present as long as their parents are assertive and take appropriate action when necessary.

I have been on planes and buses where the kid wails for hours. Funny thing they always seem to be in the seat in front or behind me.

I have been on one flight, years ago where the child was unconsolable.... It was a short 2 hrs flight (economy) the parents did all they could do and I really felt for them. They had as much right to be there as I...

So long as the parent are making efforts so as to minimise any disruption to others then IMO it's OK...

Maybe China should consider issuing flight passenger certificates to it's citizens before allowing them to fly. Ie. just like you have to take a driving test in order to drive a car, you could take a flight passenger test in order to be allowed to book a flight ticket.

The test could include questions such as:

1. Do you have to follow the flight attendants orders, even if you do not like them? Yes/No.

2. Can you use the isle as a bathroom? Yes/No.

3. Are you allowed to make bomb threats when you get upset on board? Yes/No.

4. Are you allowed to open the emergency exit during flight? Yes/No.

5. Do you have to use the seatbelt when requested to do so, even if you do not like it? Yes/No.

6. Are you allowed to hit the flight attendant if she serves nuts from a bag instead of on a plate? Yes/No?

It's always a crap shoot having kids on a plane. I once drove mine all the way across Canada because there is no way I was getting in a plane with them.

It's not a matter of discipline or spanking. Unless they are used to it,it is very difficult to have any idea how they will react.

I try to be understanding of people with kids on a plane, but both parents and children must obey the rules.

• Like 1

6. Are you allowed to hit the flight attendant if she serves nuts from a bag instead of on a plate? Yes/No?

That actually involved a Korean (and she was sentenced to a year in jail)..... But I do agree with the principle.

The worst i ever saw was an Arab familly on a flight from Bangkok to Dubai, one guy , 3 women and 7 kids in business class, Totally out of control running around and screaming, No intervention from the adults and none from the crew. I took a video of it on my camera and mailed it to the airline. Next thing i know one free business class flight Bangkok to London at any time of my choosing. I agree with earlier posts if you cannot control your kids dont take them with you

• Like 1

The world comes to a stop because of idiots... driving, flying, in the store, at a restaurant, in the park, at the hotel, it doesn't matter ...some where there is a village missing it's idiot.

You don't understand. "Please remain in your seats with your seatbelt fastened until the plane has stopped moving and the "fasten seatbelt" sign is turned off" does not apply to the little emperor's parents. It only applies to lesser hominids than those from the "Center of the world." (See Chinese character for "China." It is a square with a vertical stroke through signifying the center of the world or civilization.

• Like 1

Maybe China should consider issuing flight passenger certificates to it's citizens before allowing them to fly. Ie. just like you have to take a driving test in order to drive a car, you could take a flight passenger test in order to be allowed to book a flight ticket.

The test could include questions such as:

1. Do you have to follow the flight attendants orders, even if you do not like them? Yes/No.

2. Can you use the isle as a bathroom? Yes/No.

3. Are you allowed to make bomb threats when you get upset on board? Yes/No.

4. Are you allowed to open the emergency exit during flight? Yes/No.

5. Do you have to use the seatbelt when requested to do so, even if you do not like it? Yes/No.

7. Do you agree that your child will be invited to play outside if/she is noisy?

8. If my child keeps kicking the seat in front of him, same as Q 7.

Maybe the kid was scared?

Anyway rules are rules especially on planes.

Maybe not scared. Could have been one of those 'little emperors' that one hears about. Male Chinese child in a 'one child family' who really are spoilt little brats. I had a Chinese G/F for a while whose grandson was a little horror. I stayed well away when he was around.

Edited by Moonlover

Actually, this is just a symptom of a growing lack of courtesy in most aspects of life.

I am old enough to remember when flying was a treat, a privilege if you like.

In those days, people had a little more respect for each other.

Call me Victorian if you like but I don't want to sit next to someone's bare armpit!

If I choose to pay a fortune for a flat bed in order to be able to sleep, I don't want someone else's brat keeping everyone awake all night.

I blame Freddy Laker......

• Like 1

It's a bit of a pain!

They are too stupid to realise that they are going to wait long time at baggage carousel for their luggage, there was no need to rush! As another poster said: you can't fix stupid!

I specially like the way they all fight each other to get through the door as quickly as possible, just so they can stand in the apron bus longer than other people who take their time..... instant karma on many local Asian flights.

They sure have. Look at all the high quality products stocking the shelves of WalMart over the last 20 years

The problem is that Chinese kids are little Emperors that are taught by their parents that whatever they want, they get. I had a couple on a flight today with a very scared boy around the same age and they managed to soothe the kid and have him put on their seat belt. The difference? They were Japanese.

I agree except that it's not the child's parents, it's the grandparents, especially the grandmother of the child. I'm speaking mostly about Mainland Chinese. Remember this is asia and family is everything. In many areas husband and wife are working and the grandparents are the ones that care for the children. It's slowing changing but I've seen a lot of older generation grandparents allowing the children to grow-up with no manners or much different then what's generally accepted by most of us.