I want to buy a sports car....

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

One can get driven to talk Suntans in Thailand, 2 Mins and ones gone over our choices here. More variety in North Korea.!!..I for one have given up finding something new and different at a fair price.So its boring old Hondas for me nowdays.sad.png

Try to stay on topic - which is not suntans.

So can I reply or should his nonsense, off topic, antagonistic post be removed? If it does stand, I will have to respond.

Edited by WarpSpeed

If I were the OP I would buy a Dmax (2wd) or similar and modify it. They are still sporty but have the ground clearance and suspension travel to be drivable here. The diesels in them can easily be chipped to make much more power. I was surprised when I raced one on my CBR 500 how fast they are.

So can I reply or should his nonsense, off topic, antagonistic post be removed? If it does stand, I will have to respond.

Go whinge somewhere else, you don't understand why convertibles aren't popular here. I gave you the answer several times. But because this is not Florida you don't agree.

Go whinge somewhere else, you don't understand why convertibles aren't popular here. I gave you the answer several times. But because this is not Florida you don't agree.

Keep it up!!

I don't take myself seriously but I do answer questions seriously when they're asked, was your answer not serious? It should have been. BTW not that my sex life is any of your business, but I get laid plenty, probably more then most here but thanks for your concern anyway. In fact took some pics just today while out on the highway of 2 convertibles within miles of each other, top down and wind blowing through the hair. A VW new beetle and ironically a Mazda MX5, 88 degrees and enjoying the breeze, I don't have the patience to post them tonight still have to download them but I will tomorrow just for your viewing pleasure.

the most frequent convertibles I see are actually miatas, but then they are still rare, only catch sight of a handful per year, throw in some z3/z4, slk, and mustangs here and there. I see them mostly at night.

Driving home from work yesterday and was following 2 thai ladies enjoying their drive in a merc convertible.

There is a old Thai Couple that drive around in there Red 500 SL merc convertible, never seen the roof up.. there a friend of a friend and understand they bought the car brand new back in the 80's

Sports cars don't have huge engines ? tell that to the pistons of a Dodge Viperwink.png

My old 3.0liter twin turbo made my friends v10 viper look pathetic. Try again.

Pffft. Just go around a corner, or a bumpy road in a Viper and watch how the shape of the interior changes as the chassis twists - pathetic compared to, well, anything :)

Sports cars don't have huge engines ? tell that to the pistons of a Dodge Viperwink.png

My post was about a huge engine nothing else, don't have to try again how about you.

Pffft. Just go around a corner, or a bumpy road in a Viper and watch how the shape of the interior changes as the chassis twists - pathetic compared to, well, anything smile.png

I actually laughed out loud just at the mere mention the viper is a sports car !!!

RE Viper did all the Porsche 911,Ferrari 458, Audi R8,BMW Z4 drivers laugh at the end of the Daytona 24 hours in the nearest to stock (loosely but all have the same chance) GTD class, i think maybe they criedfacepalm.gif

Edited by kartman

RE Viper did all the Porsche 911,Ferrari 458, Audi R8,BMW Z4 drivers laugh at the end of the Daytona 24 hours in the nearest to stock (loosely but all have the same chance) GTD class, i think maybe they criedfacepalm.gif

I assume you are talking about this Viper ?

http://www.allpar.com/news/index.php/2015/01/viper-dominates-gtd-at-the-rolex-24

Which one would not really call anything close to the same spec as a road going version which essentially is what this thread is about, available sport cars for the masses.

"The Viper GT3-R was made available for race teams in the later half of 2013 at an estimated cost of $459,000.The car shares many technologies with the GTE race car but it is built to Group GT3 regulations.".

^^And not only did they pay a whole lot more for their cars, but for the last several years the Viper has held the Nurburgring record until some very expensive super cars recently have taken it back but nothing priced anywhere near the price of the Viper.. Of course they don't have the strongest chassis, they have a light weight chassis that isn't overly expensive & made out of carbon fiber like the super cars have, compare apples with apples not apples with peaches. This is such an old debate, it's been done to death, the 2 best American sports cars being the Viper and the Vette are unmatched in performance versus cost that's not even debatable.. Both come in convertible trim BTW.

^I beg to differ, that is most certainly very closely based on the road going model, the rules require it, these are some of the classes I so often refer to, in fact most of the Porsches and others are actually factory built and straight from the street going version could be licensed and driven to and from the track. Most of them are just stripped down versions of the street car with safety equipment added and some shock and spring tweeks, depending on the package.

Edited by WarpSpeed

A friend of mine that moved out of the country has a 680 hp supra for sale for 1,million. He put 3.5 ,million into it.

If the 3.5M included a 6" lift kit and 4WD conversion, I could be interested :P

Were not mixing them up and here's the regs that proves it.

(*) If a Manufacturer doesn’t wish to homologate, develop, produce and sell the race version of cars, either directly or through an independent engineering company, IMSA may accept Tuners presenting the best records, provided the Manufacturer is in full approval of the Tuner.

2.2.1.4 A car is not permitted to undergo technical inspection before taking part in an event if it has not had the homologation approved by IMSA. The Homologation Form must be presented by the Competitor during technical inspection.

2.2.2 Modifications

2.2.2.1 They are allowed for racing purposes:

2.2.2.2 From a base version of the production car and not from a special version based on a restricted or special or limited production;

2.2.2.3 Complying with these technical regulations;

2.2.2.4 The specifications listed in the Homologation Form can be changed only by the Manufacturer or the Tuner and with the agreement of IMSA.

2.2.2.5 Except for safety or reliability reasons, only one evolution per period of 2 years is permitted before the first event of the season in which the homologated model is entered. The period of restriction will begin for 2014 model cars; it will be the same for every car. A car homologated in previous years can use this evolution under the following conditions: • Changes are made on the car by the Manufacturer or Tuner who homologated this car, • The car thus modified is identical to the latest version of the homologated car, • The Manufacturer or Tuner provides to the car owner a copy of the new Homologation Form describing the evolution, • The previous Homologation Form is no longer valid.

2.2.2.6 When elements of the car have undergone successive modification (e.g. rear wing), only one version can be used per year model. For the new cars homologated, 1 evolution

Take note of manufacturer numbers required to compete, that's so no purpose built cars can compete. They have to begin with a base chassis and most of the factory specs.

2.2.3 Lapsed Homologation

2.2.3.1 The homologation will become lapsed: The year following the stop of the production if a minimum of 200 road cars has not been produced (50 for a "Small Manufacturer") 8 years after the stop of the production if at least a minimum of 200 road cars has been produced (50 for a "Small Manufacturer")

In essence this class is FIA Gt 3 class, which is stock based equipment. It's all nonsense anyway to argue that even still Audi, Porsche, etc. couldn't produce a winning car over the much cheaper Viper..

Edited by WarpSpeed

I once witnessed in the UK a road going Nissan Skyline run a 10 second quarter on street tyres...........w00t.gif

I was told the guy spent 50,000 quid on it......sad.png

I can see that easily as I have a few friends who have 9 second street skylines.

40k engine

15k gearbox

8k rear end

10k wheels/tyres and suspension

5k for ECU and electrics

add another 10k for safety gear (seats/harnesses/rollcage etc etc).

Were not mixing them up and here's the regs that proves it.

(*) If a Manufacturer doesn’t wish to homologate, develop, produce and sell the race version of cars, either directly or through an independent engineering company, IMSA may accept Tuners presenting the best records, provided the Manufacturer is in full approval of the Tuner.

2.2.1.4 A car is not permitted to undergo technical inspection before taking part in an event if it has not had the homologation approved by IMSA. The Homologation Form must be presented by the Competitor during technical inspection.

2.2.2 Modifications

2.2.2.1 They are allowed for racing purposes:

2.2.2.2 From a base version of the production car and not from a special version based on a restricted or special or limited production;

2.2.2.3 Complying with these technical regulations;

2.2.2.4 The specifications listed in the Homologation Form can be changed only by the Manufacturer or the Tuner and with the agreement of IMSA.

2.2.2.5 Except for safety or reliability reasons, only one evolution per period of 2 years is permitted before the first event of the season in which the homologated model is entered. The period of restriction will begin for 2014 model cars; it will be the same for every car. A car homologated in previous years can use this evolution under the following conditions: • Changes are made on the car by the Manufacturer or Tuner who homologated this car, • The car thus modified is identical to the latest version of the homologated car, • The Manufacturer or Tuner provides to the car owner a copy of the new Homologation Form describing the evolution, • The previous Homologation Form is no longer valid.

2.2.2.6 When elements of the car have undergone successive modification (e.g. rear wing), only one version can be used per year model. For the new cars homologated, 1 evolution

Take note of manufacturer numbers required to compete, that's so no purpose built cars can compete. They have to begin with a base chassis and most of the factory specs.

2.2.3 Lapsed Homologation

2.2.3.1 The homologation will become lapsed: The year following the stop of the production if a minimum of 200 road cars has not been produced (50 for a "Small Manufacturer") 8 years after the stop of the production if at least a minimum of 200 road cars has been produced (50 for a "Small Manufacturer")

In essence this class is FIA Gt 3 class, which is stock based equipment. It's all nonsense anyway to argue that even still Audi, Porsche, etc. couldn't produce a winning car over the much cheaper Viper..

Wow really, Audi, Porsche, etc could not come up with something to beat the much cheaper ($460,000) Viper...... how much were they spending ?