Need new Tourist visa, Only 1 page left in passport and now on overstay

I need to get a new tourist visa. Only thing is, I have 1 page left in my passport now. So I need to add more pages or renew my passport, which I was going to do after I returned from the border, after getting visa exempt.

Now when I got to the border though, they would not let me go through and told me I would need to get a new visa. So now, I will be on overstay and I don't think I can get a new visa with only 1 page.

Some other details

• 2 years here with a mix of TR visas, extensions and border runs.
  • Currently residing in Chiang Mai.
  • Got the Red stamp on my last visa from Laos which ran out in on the first January this year.
  • Just turned 50 but my finances per month aren't high enough for Non - O Retirement requirements.

At this point I'm debating on whether I should add pages first at the US consulate, which will take a few days and would be adding overstays everyday I am still here. Or maybe just return to US.

If do go to a neighboring country any suggestions on which one other Laos?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

I would add the pages, cost $82, go to Savannaket and get another visa paying the overstay at the border. I don't know about the consulate in Chiang Mai, but they add the pages while you wait in Bangkok, 30 minutes, but you have to have an appointment.

After you come back in I would apply for a new passport, cost $110, just to have a clean slate for future requirements.

As said the best option is to get the pages added to your passport. It only takes about an hour to have it done not days. See: http://bangkok.usembassy.gov/extra_visa_pages.html

You will need to make appointment to get in the front doors of the consular section.

You could then get a single entry tourist visa in Penang to break the chain of back to back to visa you have been getting in Vientiane.

You could enter Myanmar or Malaysia with only one page in your passport since their is no visa required to get a 30 day visa exempt entry.

I would add the pages, cost $82, go to Savannaket and get another visa paying the overstay at the border. I don't know about the consulate in Chiang Mai, but they add the pages while you wait in Bangkok, 30 minutes, but you have to have an appointment.

After you come back in I would apply for a new passport, cost $110, just to have a clean slate for future requirements.

The US Consulate in Chiang Mai will add pages for 82 USD and if you do now you may very easy get the max total of 3 inserts or 75 page for that same 82 USD because as of January 1 2016 no more inserts. You will need to go on line to make an appointment. http://chiangmai.usconsulate.gov

Many thanks to everyone here for your advice.

I had already been leaning towards adding the pages at the US consulate and made an appointment already for tomorrow on the 5th. So that will only put me at about 3 day overstay.

Now I was thinking of going to Savannaket, instead of Vientiane to get a double entry, my only thought is if the red stamp I received from Vientiane will be a problem at Savannaket. If so then maybe I would just settle on a single entry maybe from Penang.

Anyway thanks again for all your help.

Congratulations, OP -- you're now over age 50 and thus able to get an O visa which you can extend for 12 months due to retirement if you meet the financial requirements. I'd encourage you to start setting aside funds each month, even just 5000 or 10000 baht each to start to build up a savings account so you can use the "combo" method to qualify for a retirement visa extension.

That will save you a huge amount of money and mental wear-and-tear for visa runs and the other tricks you've been doing to stay in Thailand legally. These activities only get more difficult as you get older. Also, as you get older you're more likely to encounter health problems or have an accident and us retired folks don't get free health care here in Thailand. That retirement visa account could come in handy if you sudden land in a Thai hospital. Yes, medical care is cheap in Thailand, but a broken arm or leg could easily set you back 100,000 baht or more.

I know there's a huge temptation to live month-to-month and spend-it-if-ya-got-it, but please fight that urge and set money aside each month until you have more than enough to qualify for a retirement visa.

I really wonder why so many on here push things to the limit then end up asking how to get out of the mess they have caused themselves.

Personally if I had 5 pages left in my passport I would be looking renew at the first opportunity.

I had 2 pages left an had already 2 extra sets added, and even though my passport does not expire till Dec 2018 i just got a new one

took 14 days and had it mailed back to me in Phuket

Extra pages will be added up till dec 31st on any passport issued BEFORE sept 2015..

Its a nice 52 page one now an transferring stamps took 2 whole pages :-)