Aussie expat approaching retirement age

Im an Aussie expat, living in Thailand for 11 years now. I'm now approaching retirement age and am surprised to be told by the govt that to get the pension I paid for over many years, I have to be resident and present in Australia on the date I apply. They didn't tell me that =when I was handing over the tax and super...

Any approaches to this? I haven't lived there for 11 years, no friends there and no rellies. Sort of cramps my style a bit but it is what it is. Advice or info gratefully received...

DTRH

Its the truth mate, expect to have to jump through all types of hoops for centrelink when you return to Australia,hope you don't return to queensland, centrelink in Brisbane ,Toowoomba area very tough and hardnosed,sorry cannot give you any good newswai.gif

Not only do you have to be resident in Australia when you apply for the pension, you have to have lived there Full Time for the two years previous to applying. So the only way you will qualify and be able to get the pension paid whilst living in Thailand is to go back and live there for two years first. You will get the pension paid to you during that two years, but leave the country before the two years is up and Centrelink will stop the pension immediately.

Edited by giddyup

Not only do you have to be resident in Australia when you apply for the pension, you have to have lived there Full Time for the two years previous to applying. So the only way you will qualify and be able to get the pension paid whilst living in Thailand is to go back and live there for two years first. You will get the pension paid to you during that two years, but leave the country before the two years is up and Centrelink will stop the pension immediately.

Pretty sure you don't have to live in Oz for two years before applying, provided you meet the other work and/or residency requirements. Just have to lodge when you are in Australia. I understand that you will though have to have stay in Australia for two years before returning to Thailand to qualify for mobility - not even a short holiday, otherwise the clock resets.

Check the Human Services website.

http://www.humanservices.gov.au/customer/services/centrelink/age-pension

Pretty sure you don't have to live in Oz for two years before applying, provided you meet the other work and/or residency requirements. Just have to lodge when you are in Australia. I understand that you will though have to have stay in Australia for two years before returning to Thailand to qualify for mobility - not even a short holiday, otherwise the clock resets.

I thought that's what I said. The two years prior to applying only concerns the mobility, which is what the OP was interested in. I already stated that the pension would be paid during that two years in Australia to qualify for mobility. I think they have also increased the length of your working life in Australia to 35 years to be eligible for a pension.

Edited by giddyup

I thought that's what I said. The two years prior to applying only concerns the mobility, which is what the OP was interested in. I already stated that the pension would be paid during that two years in Australia to qualify for mobility. I think they have also increased the length of your working life in Australia to 35 years to be eligible for a pension.

It can get confusing - you said "you have to have lived there Full Time for the two years previous to applying"

Re Working Life In Australia to 35 years - yes that is my understanding too. Hence my comment to the OP re qualification of work requirements. If the OP has been out of OZ for 11 years and, say left at age 53, and started work after leaving Uni at 20 it could be a problem. Again, need to check the Website.

It can get confusing - you said "you have to have lived there Full Time for the two years previous to applying"

Re Working Life In Australia to 35 years - yes that is my understanding too. Hence my comment to the OP re qualification of work requirements. If the OP has been out of OZ for 11 years and, say left at age 53, and started work after leaving Uni at 20 it could be a problem. Again, need to check the Website.

My bad. I should have said "resident for two years before applying to be eligible for pension mobility".

• 2 weeks later...

Yes your screwed...this is not new!

I have been reading the Court Cases of people appealing this for over 10 years.

If you do a search of Federal Administrative Appeals Tribunal you will see umpteen Court Cases of Aussies appealing Centrelink decisions based in them coming back from Thailand and the Philipines.

95 % of them lost the case.

Look up those cases and read them theres quite a few interesting ones...as far as i can see by reading these cases is they want to know your permanent address in Australia the last 2 years....you will have to come back and stay 2 years.

Edited by georgegeorgia

Yep it is 35 year working life from age 16 to obtain full Aged Pension whilst living overseas; otherwise it is pro rata. Upon return to Oz you must demonstrate that you meet residency criteria and as said currently will have to wait two years for portability. Last year I returned to Oz & took about 13 weeks to process my application, also you are interviewed by phone. NB you must obtain your movement record in/out Australia from Immigration to support your application. A bit more info at: