ToT Internet

Dirk_brijs

I wonder if you could explain to a novice living on the darkside here.

Do you mean I could get better streaming using a proxy server?. I currently get 0.41 mbs download speed from Bangkok on my

speed test.

Thanks.

Not sure if you're directing your query to me or not but in my case it's nothing fancy like proxy or VPN etc.

My daughter runs "Plex" media centre software and I access her "server" remotely to get access to her media library from my PC. I installed "Plex" on my PC and then a simple server address and user id & password.

I subscribe to an online TV package on www.ntv.mx

I can choose between 100's of channels and as long as the speed is over 1 mb/s to Europe, I do not experience problems with the streams . Prime time tonight in Thailand the speed went down to 500 kb/s , still worked most of the time.

Last week it was 50 kb/s and internet was useless.

You can test your speed to different servers here:

http://testmy.net/

Click on the server list on the top right corner of your screen and select one of the US or EU servers.

Edited by balo

I use a little app called NetWorx, just sits in system tray, hover mouse over it

to check the real download speeds,I have TOT fiber 2U 23/3 MBs, on a speed

test it actually shows these speeds, BUT Networx is showing a lot lower speed,

which i believe is more like the speed i am getting, its a free app,

regards worgeordie

• Like 1

Very slow again tonight I'm afraid , only 200 kb/s to the UK just before midnight. Not as bad as last week but I had some hopes it would stay good for a few months , but what can you expect TIT.

Slow last night here on the Darkside for us with ToT after a few days of reasonable speeds.

It probably went further downhill as at around 09:30 this morning it was up and down like a yo-yo connecting and disconnecting. Not too bad again now and can stream video without much lag.

What the **** is going on with the service here with TOT, it's pathetic?

Slow last night here on the Darkside for us with ToT after a few days of reasonable speeds.

It probably went further downhill as at around 09:30 this morning it was up and down like a yo-yo connecting and disconnecting. Not too bad again now and can stream video without much lag.

What the **** is going on with the service here with TOT, it's pathetic?

Back to same same shit now , 90 kb/s to UK so just forget it. Maybe after midnight it will be possible to watch the stream but I doubt it.

It's virtually unusable this morning. Connection dropped three times in the first hour. Now the max DL speed it will give me from outside Thailand is 60 KB/s. I've tried fiev different sites on different continents and they are all the same so it's clearly a TOT problem. Useless tossers, they couldn't get stoned in a quarry.

The problem seems to extend beyond Pattaya. I'm in Payoon, Banchang, and changed to 3BB a week ago after two weeks of the TOT connection constantly cutting off. We were on the basic (theoretical) 10 Mb service, and when we went into the office we were told that many customers in our moo baan were upgrading to 15 Mb, and we should do the same, at a cost of 1600 baht plus 1600 baht for a new modem. I showed them that I already had the model they were trying to sell me. I saw red because the failure in service seemed to coincide with a family moving into the house next door which had been empty for ages. Prior to that the service had been pretty good for a long time, and it just seemed to me that they had transferred my bandwidth to the new customer.

3BB's charge for the same 10Mb package is the same as ToT, and as long as I'm getting 4 or 5 it's usually enough for me. They didn't charge anything for connection, and the guy ran a fibre optic cable in from the road in a matter of minutes.

The problem seems to extend beyond Pattaya. I'm in Payoon, Banchang, and changed to 3BB a week ago after two weeks of the TOT connection constantly cutting off. We were on the basic (theoretical) 10 Mb service, and when we went into the office we were told that many customers in our moo baan were upgrading to 15 Mb, and we should do the same, at a cost of 1600 baht plus 1600 baht for a new modem. I showed them that I already had the model they were trying to sell me. I saw red because the failure in service seemed to coincide with a family moving into the house next door which had been empty for ages. Prior to that the service had been pretty good for a long time, and it just seemed to me that they had transferred my bandwidth to the new customer.

3BB's charge for the same 10Mb package is the same as ToT, and as long as I'm getting 4 or 5 it's usually enough for me. They didn't charge anything for connection, and the guy ran a fibre optic cable in from the road in a matter of minutes.

That rings a bell. A while back TOT had a promotional event in this village to try and get people to sign up to their Fibre-2-U service which they'd just installed. The deal was 13 Mbps for 799 Baht/month plus you had to buy a new router for cable as they said the ADSL router wouldn't work. I currently pay 599 Baht/month for 7 Mbps and since most of my downloading is as a free user from cyberlockers I'm usually restricted by the speed they will give me for free (usually around 100-200 KB/s each) rather than being restricted by the total TOT bandwidth. So I felt that there wasn't much point in paying 200 Baht/month extra for a higher bandwidth that I probably won't use. It wasn't long after this promotional event that the ADSL service here started going to the dogs, and I must admit I have wondered if they are doing it deliberately to try and force people onto the more expensive package. I've no way of proving it though.

I must admit I have wondered if they are doing it deliberately to try and force people onto the more expensive package. I've no way of proving it though.

I strongly suspect that is the case. To be fair to ToT, they've never asked for a price increase in the 5.1/2 years since I started dealing with them, and after they installed the fibre optic cable in the village nearly 18 months ago they uprated the service from 4Mbps to 10 Mbps, and it did run pretty well up to 3 weeks ago. But when there's a viable alternative supplier it's not very smart to say in effect that the service you're paying for is no good and you've got to pay for a better service just to get what you had before. A couple of neighbours said they've been with 3BB for a while and had no problems, so changing to them was a no-brainer. A small added convenience is that Kasikorn list 3BB (but not ToT) as one of their 'merchant accounts' so I can pay online in future.

I've been watching the Cricket World Cup for a month now, via a subscription feed of Star Sports.

Generally it's been fine in the early stages but now we're down to the business end of the comp TOT is playing up big time.

Today's match has been 'freezing up' on a regular basis.

That's what irritates me about many things in Thailand. Nothing is consistent, on which you can rely and lots of things are about simply about style rather than substance.

I know if I complain I will simply get a shrug of the shoulders.

The best I'm getting off them for a download from overseas this morning is 10-20 KB/s - that's ludicrous for a 1 Gb file. I couldn't care what they are upgrading, they simply have not been providing even a fraction of the service I pay for and expect so stuff them.

I was listening to a football match from the UK last night. It kept coming in and out. Anyway, the radio stream finished 30 minutes after the match had finished. (A 90 minute match for non football fans!)

I saw the result on the TV whilst the commentary had 30 minutes to go!.

This has never happened before. Sure, maybe a couple of minutes lag time normally, but 30 in 90. That's stupid. cheesy.gif

Last night was okay, 3-4 mb after 9 pm. It looks like the lines get very busy during the weekends starting Thurs/Friday when Thai families arrive in big numbers to their house/condos. Then when they leave on Sunday it gets better.

• 3 weeks later...

Well...finally got tired of this so had ToT come out to the house. Guess what? I was running my phone line though my UPS. Which has worked great for the past 2 years. Apparently, we had a spike and it fried that part of my UPS. He just unplugged it from the UPS box, plugged it into the modem and I'm back to 10mb. Tested it this morning and I was at 3-4mb.

FYI. The ToT guys were great. I gave them a tip and off they went.

Well...finally got tired of this so had ToT come out to the house. Guess what? I was running my phone line though my UPS. Which has worked great for the past 2 years. Apparently, we had a spike and it fried that part of my UPS. He just unplugged it from the UPS box, plugged it into the modem and I'm back to 10mb. Tested it this morning and I was at 3-4mb.

FYI. The ToT guys were great. I gave them a tip and off they went.

Craig.

Forgive my stupidity but what a UPS box?. I've got TOT but just a 'splitter' device.

The UPS is great. I've had it for 2 years now. Keeps my PC on even when the power is cut and protects all the electronic stuff from getting zapped during lightning storms.

From what this guy said, it got zapped. And probably saved my modem. Unfortunately, it's out of action now! At least for the phone line part.

Mod Rimmer has had his modem zapped a few times. One time, you could actually see black marks where the phone line went into the modem!

The UPS is great. I've had it for 2 years now. Keeps my PC on even when the power is cut and protects all the electronic stuff from getting zapped during lightning storms.

From what this guy said, it got zapped. And probably saved my modem. Unfortunately, it's out of action now! At least for the phone line part.

Mod Rimmer has had his modem zapped a few times. One time, you could actually see black marks where the phone line went into the modem!

This is true sad.png

For a couple of hundred baht I now have a very basic surge suppressor fitted in the line and an earth rod that will take 90% of an overcurrent and send it to ground.

Buy from any electrical shop.