Man drowns in lake inside East Pattaya Village

webfact

Man drowns in lake inside East Pattaya Village

lake-1.jpg

PATTAYA: -- A 36 year old man who was receiving treatment for health issues caused by Alcoholism, drowned in a small lake behind an East Pattaya Village on Thursday afternoon.

Police and medics were called to the village just before 5.30pm as villagers frantically searched for Khun Chumnan, who was described by family members as a fragile man, who had been suffering from a weakened state due to his illness.

The family had eaten together earlier in the afternoon and after eating Khun Chumnan was left at the side of the lake. When family members returned to the area, they could not locate him and found evidence that he may have fallen into the 10-meter deep man-made lake.

Source: http://www.pattayaone.net/pattaya-news/174626/man-drowns-in-lake-inside-east-pattaya-village/

pattaya-one.jpg
-- Pattaya One 2015-03-06

A county almost surrounded by water, the venice of the east, rice patties and water everywhere and nobody knows how to swim!! This is one of the most basic life skills. I learned to swim with my cousins by the time i was 4 or 5 yrs old. Late in elementary school, there were mandatory swimming lessons which benefited the few that did not know how to swim by then. It also made everyone else a stronger swimmer.

I do understand the financial challenges of a country like this in trying to achieve that. But I think it would cost a lot less to implement here then it does back home.

Taking the money from the failed and corrupt schemes like the tablets, and many other schemes that we have heard fail and were later found to be highly overpriced, and teaching these basic skills that could save lives would be much wiser.

I am sure the powers that be could find a way to still skim money from these as well but at least it would save lives for the lifetime of the people that learned from it.

A county almost surrounded by water, the venice of the east, rice patties and water everywhere and nobody knows how to swim!! This is one of the most basic life skills. I learned to swim with my cousins by the time i was 4 or 5 yrs old. Late in elementary school, there were mandatory swimming lessons which benefited the few that did not know how to swim by then. It also made everyone else a stronger swimmer.

I do understand the financial challenges of a country like this in trying to achieve that. But I think it would cost a lot less to implement here then it does back home.

Taking the money from the failed and corrupt schemes like the tablets, and many other schemes that we have heard fail and were later found to be highly overpriced, and teaching these basic skills that could save lives would be much wiser.

I am sure the powers that be could find a way to still skim money from these as well but at least it would save lives for the lifetime of the people that learned from it.

I think you'll find that's 'paddies' - although rice patties sound delicious - and the Northeast (as landlocked a region as you'll find anywhere) is currently in the grip of a drought.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2015/02/05/us-thailand-drought-idUSKBN0L917F20150205

Not sure I would have wanted to learn to swim in Pattaya's polluted seas, but it would have been preferable to being thrown into the Mekong and told to sink or swim. I dont know how many public schools here have access to something as luxurious as a swimming pool - clearly you did, as did I back in my home country - but I doubt that it would have helped the victim in this instance. Cant say I've seen too many Thai kiddies being led into the ocean here in central Pattaya - perhaps Jomtien is considered a safer location - but according to this mob a third of Thai kids do learn to swim. Given that they appear to be providing the pools, I'm left wondering where that 33% of kids learnt to swim previously. Even the fishermen here dont seem to be particularly strong swimmers, but I could see that somewhere like Samet would entice young kids into the water purely for the fun of it.

http://swimsafe.org/swimsafe-projects/thailand/

Using portable pools set up on school grounds, SwimSafe Thailand aims to demonstrate that teaching children survival swimming skills is an inexpensive and effective drowning prevention activity in both urban and rural Thailand. The 12×5 metre pools are easily transportable so that they can reach a maximum number of students.