thai business etiquette

Dear thaivisa members,

I dont feel going to job when I am sick. By that I mean common cold, flu or tonsillitis. However, I noticed that all my colleagues comes regulary to their work even if they have symptoms worse than flu ( nausea for example )

Am I doing something wrong or inappropriate when I am asking for absence due to medical reasons?

regards.

where I work, the staff turn up even if they're next to death. If they have the flu, then no problem, a scarf, face mask and a ton of medicine and they keep going.However, if it's raining in the morning, then they're late.

• Like 2

If you have flu then believe me you will be in hospital. Having a cold or flu is a common coverall for Mondayitis. Having a cold is no excuse for not coming to work... Grow some balls... Are you a girl?

• Like 1

If you have flu then believe me you will be in hospital. Having a cold or flu is a common coverall for Mondayitis. Having a cold is no excuse for not coming to work... Grow some balls... Are you a girl?

I have tonsillitis it is severe infection of tonsils followed by high temperature.

I have tonsillitis it is severe infection of tonsils followed by high temperature.

easy don't go to work and get a doctors note

but it does beg the question how old are you ? given the fact you need to ask on an internet forum whether you should go to work not when you are sick ?....never had a job before ?

Edited by Soutpeel
  • Like 1

Some of my farang staff stay home if they think they will have a flew maybe tomorrow... bah.gifbah.gif

going into work when one is sick is selfish and irresponsible certainly in the case of contagious aliments, and will certainly prolong the "outbreak" in an office situation as it it will spread, so why the disgust ?

lest I might remind you of Thai labour law

"employees are entitled to unlimited sick leave but the number of paid sick days is only up to 30 regular workdays"

• Like 2

Some of my farang staff stay home if they think they will have a flew maybe tomorrow... bah.gifbah.gif

going into work when one is sick is selfish and irresponsible certainly in the case of contagious aliments, and will certainly prolong the "outbreak" in an office situation as it it will spread, so why the disgust ?

"employees are entitled to unlimited sick leave but the number of paid sick days is only up to 30 regular workdays"

That's interesting. Does that law apply to all businesses.

My stepson recently had a motorbike accident. Apparently, his Mother was told that he will only receive 100 Baht per day sick pay. I would have thought that it should be the minimum day rate at least.

He works at Do Home.

Edited by loong

but it does beg the question how old are you ? given the fact you need to ask on an internet forum whether you should go to work not when you are sick ?....never had a job before ?

Souty... honestly! It might well be the poster's first job (tonsillitis is most common in young adults) — who found himself in a foreign country and was hoping for people's kind advice. Not all members are as well seasoned and widely traveled as some of our finest.

Edited by Morakot
  • Like 2

where I work, the staff turn up even if they're next to death. If they have the flu, then no problem, a scarf, face mask and a ton of medicine and they keep going.However, if it's raining in the morning, then they're late.

Welcome to the new normal. Its world wide you come in work till you drop and then they kick you out to the curb and yell "NEXT!!" Humans are becoming a disposable item. The rich must have their pound of flesh. Years ago when I was young workers were a somebody today your a nobody to be used up and cast aside.

what a nonsence...... I cant even find the staff I need in Thailand even i scream NEXT!

My stepson recently had a motorbike accident. Apparently, his Mother was told that he will only receive 100 Baht per day sick pay. I would have thought that it should be the minimum day rate at least.

He works at Do Home.

yes it's the labour law, if he is an employee

Having staff who regularly go sick may well indicate that there is something wrong in your organisation. Maybe a bullying supervisor or co-worker, too heavy a workload.... It can be easier to call in sick that face these situations. Sickness monitoring is important. Also if you can check their FB on that sick day you may well have important evidence.

Having staff who regularly go sick may well indicate that there is something wrong in your organisation. Maybe a bullying supervisor or co-worker, too heavy a workload.... It can be easier to call in sick that face these situations. Sickness monitoring is important. Also if you can check their FB on that sick day you may well have important evidence.

or of course they are playing the system or they do get sick a lot

Souty... honestly! It might well be the poster's first job (tonsillitis is most common in young adults) — who found himself in a foreign country and was hoping for people's kind advice. Not all members are as well seasoned and widely traveled as some of our finest.

Yes that is correct :) how did you know?

or of course they are playing the system or they do get sick a lot

but why are we going now of topic?

All of my colleagues comes at job when they are sick.

I feel that I am not behaving right way. Since, I am not planing to come with temperature and fever on job

He works at Do Home.

These rules are set individually by each company, and often per position within the company. They are not universally mandated by the government. Each company sets the number of allowed paid sick days, and the conditions for them. They also set the allowed number of unpaid sick days. They also set the number of days allowed for bereavement (a death in the family), and wether or not they are paid.

These are typically spelled out in the employment contract that the employee signs when they accept the job. Of course, not every company and every job will implement such a procedure, and often these things are communicated verbally or not at all.

He works at Do Home.

These rules are set individually by each company, and often per position within the company. They are not universally mandated by the government. Each company sets the number of allowed paid sick days, and the conditions for them. They also set the allowed number of unpaid sick days. They also set the number of days allowed for bereavement (a death in the family), and wether or not they are paid.

These are typically spelled out in the employment contract that the employee signs when they accept the job. Of course, not every company and every job will implement such a procedure, and often these things are communicated verbally or not at all.

stop talking poo, the rules mandated by the government are very clear

sick leave is specifically detailed under the Thai labor act and these rules supersede anything that is written in company rules or the contracts.

compassionate leave ie bereavement is something else and will be detailed per each company polices, this does not fall under this discussion as its not the question

per the English language version of the TLA