Immigration targeting ED holders 5000 baht fee for 90 days

Yeah, I am amazed that people actually think this is a "crackdown" of some sort. There is absolutely no indication of this. If they were cracking down, as you just mentioned, they could easily target absenteeism at schools. But this would take work. They would rather sit around CW playing on their phones and screwing around with one another. The joys of a Thai government job is that you cannot lose it. You are a cop working in a gambling den and extorting people? No Problem! You will just be transferred to a different position in a different location. Get caught taking bribes ON VIDEO? No problem, transfer to another post. There is no reason for these IO's to get off their ass and actually do what they are paid for. They are 100% secure in their jobs.

So you were offered the 4,900 baht option in BKK as well? You had this option in front of you? (No longer just a rumor in BKK).

Very true, this should not be called a crackdown but a scam.

I wish they were cracking down and checking on who is going to school and who is not.

But they could not care less about that.

All they want is our cash.

Yeah, I am amazed that people actually think this is a "crackdown" of some sort. There is absolutely no indication of this. If they were cracking down, as you just mentioned, they could easily target absenteeism at schools. But this would take work. They would rather sit around CW playing on their phones and screwing around with one another. The joys of a Thai government job is that you cannot lose it. You are a cop working in a gambling den and extorting people? No Problem! You will just be transferred to a different position in a different location. Get caught taking bribes ON VIDEO? No problem, transfer to another post. There is no reason for these IO's to get off their ass and actually do what they are paid for. They are 100% secure in their jobs.

So you were offered the 4,900 baht option in BKK as well? You had this option in front of you? (No longer just a rumor in BKK).

Didn't the big man himself say on news near the time he appointed himself head of the country tell everyone he was going to get rid of all the corrupt cops & punish them? I thought Immigration Officers are part of the police force?? lol

• Like 1

No it's all hush hush.

A student near his extension time was called at home by the school, to be warned of immigration harassment going on at CW and was offered to pay 4900 thb to avoid it.

He told me about it in class (yes I go to class!)

I then asked the desk assistant at school and she confirmed it: We have the choice between harassment at CW or pay the school 4900 THB to get 3 months.

But I would not have asked no one would have told me anything,they just call you before your extension, nothing is announced in the school, no posters, no emails, nothing in writing and no proof of anything...

Edited by Kitsune
  • Like 1

No it's all hush hush.

A student near his extension time was called at home by the school, to be warned of immigration harassment going on at CW and was offered to pay 4900 thb to avoid it.

He told me about it in class (yes I go to class!)

I then asked the desk assistant at school and she confirmed it: We have the choice between harassment at CW or pay the school 4900 THB to get 3 months.

But I would not have asked no one would have told me anything,they just call you before your extension, nothing is announced in the school, no posters, no emails, nothing in writing and no proof of anything...

Thanks.... I was very curious about this as I was thinking it might be rumor still in BKK.

Why should he stay in Thailand to study English?

The visa Aliens are granted is based on their reason for being here..... tourism, work, marriage, retirement, study.

His reason for staying in Thailand is to study and learn English? I've heard it all now! clap2.gif

English is one allowed subject of study allowed by Ministry of Education and Thai Immigration for the purpose of a obtaining a Thai visa and related extensions.

If you have an issue with that, complain to them.

I'm curious as to what language they use to teach English... Obviously English, but what language do they use to explain things if you don't understand... Thai?

In a similar vein, I'm interested in learning Mandarin & was considering doing it in Thailand (also looking at doing it in China but it's a lot more expensive) would the same immigration ED Visa checks/processes apply?

I usually don't notice old, faded posters when walking around, but this one appears new outside Big C Extra, Pattaya.attachicon.gifImageUploadedByThaivisa Connect1426131732.591610.jpg

Good one!

For schools it's "business as usual" lol

Special promotion is 32k WITH a 12 month Ed visa. Would that include 4,900 extension every 3 months and the cost of getting the original visa. Nothing is made clear.

I usually don't notice old, faded posters when walking around, but this one appears new outside Big C Extra, Pattaya.attachicon.gifImageUploadedByThaivisa Connect1426131732.591610.jpg

Good one!

Special promotion is 32k WITH a 12 month Ed visa. Would that include 4,900 extension every 3 months and the cost of getting the original visa. Nothing is made clear.

Extension fees and fees for the initial visa are never included. The price paid to the school is for the course and preparation of documents. That is all.

Good one!

Extension fees and fees for the initial visa are never included. The price paid to the school is for the course and preparation of documents. That is all.

If that's the case, then their "special promo" works out at about 52K plus if we take into consideration 4,900 paid quarterly plus whatever it costs to get the initial visa. Not such a great deal then... and they don't bother mentioning the extra costs.

Edited by tropo

• 2 weeks later...

Is anyone in BKK still getting hit with this apparent 5k baht scam or is it done & dusted? Because I spoke to another student who just went to CW & it was all as usual. 2 month extension without the immigration officer saying anything, 3 months if you can read/write Thai. He asked her why she was going to give 2 months then she asked him to read & write some Thai (read a passage from the documents).

Is anyone in BKK still getting hit with this apparent 5k baht scam or is it done & dusted? Because I spoke to another student who just went to CW & it was all as usual. 2 month extension without the immigration officer saying anything, 3 months if you can read/write Thai. He asked her why she was going to give 2 months then she asked him to read & write some Thai (read a passage from the documents).

which school?

which school?

Language Express

Did he pay 4, 9000.....or 1,900?

The usual & correct amount of 1,900

which school?

Language Express

I would say that Language Express has yet been targeted by Immigration but it does not mean it's not coming, many much more reputable schools have fallen.

If you had said Prolanguage I would have agreed that the all crackdown nightmare might be over soon, but according to reports here, none of the targeted schools have resumed to be given to 2/3 months extension yet.

The usual & correct amount of 1,900

Thanks! I got the same last time I extended. I thought you implied you paid the 4,900 but still only got 2 months.

Last time I applied for an extension, the girl next to me had a pretty bad (yet understandable) attitude towards the IO's. They gave her 2 weeks for 1,900.

which school?

Language Express

I would say that Language Express has yet been targeted by Immigration but it does not mean it's not coming, many much more reputable schools have fallen.

If you had said Prolanguage I would have agreed that the all crackdown nightmare might be over soon, but according to reports here, none of the targeted schools have resumed to be given to 2/3 months extension yet.

Curious to know which are the "much more reputable schools" in your opinion?

• Like 1