Installing a new air con in a rental house and then later uninstalling it...

advancebooking

We are renting a house and want to install a new a/c in one of the rooms above the window. In that area above the window theres a powerpoint half a metre below the ceiling. Evidently connecting the power to the new a/c is not an issue.

When we eventually move out and want to take the machine with us does anybody know how big the hole will be? I think its only going to be a hole the size of a cricket ball where the electrics etc fit through. Is the correct. Also there will be some holes where the machine is fitted to the wall.

If you have ever uninstalled an a/c can you advise?

thanks

It would be interesting to know how many folks have actually done that: take the A/C from one rental to another. I'm guessing not many b/c it probably just isn't worth the bother.

it most likely isn't worth it and you will end up damaging all the tubing between the unit and compressor anyway trying to take it out

I have never moved aircons between properties, but moved one in the house I am in now and its "messy" holes in the wall got to fill and paint etc... and had to install new tubing as the existing stuff was damaged trying to remove it

Edited by Soutpeel

It would be interesting to know how many folks have actually done that: take the A/C from one rental to another. I'm guessing not many b/c it probably just isn't worth the bother.

Done it twice. A quick patch-up and owner was happy. We were good tenants and he was a good landlord so it was never going to be an issue. All verbally agreed to beforehand. I was told it is quite common.

Same here. 2X's. Just make sure you have the permission from the owner (in writing) and you KEEP THE RECEIPTS plus take pictures during the install and after they remove it just so the owner can't claim you stole it or damaged the place. Don't forget the compressor holes either. And what do you plan to do with it after you take it out? it might not be the right size for the next place or the new owner may not want it. Then what do you do with it?

• Like 1

Why not purchase one of those portable jobs and save yourself a lot of expense and inconvenience.

Also worth checking that the electrics (wiring, meter) is up for the job.

Portable air-cons still need to have a pipe going outside blowing out the hot air, as others say, best off selling it to the landlord when you leave.

As a couple posters have mentioned, no probs but be sure to confirm with owner, we removed an aircon when we moved from our rented accom into our new build after completion, for a few hundred baht extra the shop where we had purchased the new aircons installed the year old one complete with new piping, the hole on tge rental was easily filled to the owners satisfaction and a bit smaller than a cricket ball

Why not purchase one of those portable jobs and save yourself a lot of expense and inconvenience.

Also worth checking that the electrics (wiring, meter) is up for the job.

couple of reasons not to do this is they are noisy (compressor onsite ) also inefficient

to get a decent portable ac almost the same price as a regular budget ac unit

portable yes but no other cons

It's simple really. It's not your house, so that means you need to clear it with the landlord first.

They may elect to keep it, go 50/50, or let your remove, patch and paint when you go.

If you do it, keep the piece of wall that they drill out to make the 'cricket ball sized hole'. When its time to go you can easily place it back in, use a bit of cement to hold it in place, cover over the surrounding gaps and screw holes with gypsum, and paint over.

• Like 1

If you do it, keep the piece of wall that they drill out to make the 'cricket ball sized hole'. When its time to go you can easily place it back in, use a bit of cement to hold it in place, cover over the surrounding gaps and screw holes with gypsum, and paint over.

and after 5 years in the place, you will be wondering what that lump of plaster and brick is for you kept in the wardrobe laugh.png

• Like 1

I once installed an A/C in rental. I spoke with owner before doing it and she was pleased and actually lowered my rent a bit. I certainly wouldn't want to be bothered with the labor to uninstall and repair wall whenever I decided to move out, especially moving a bulky & heavy compressor then going through the same hassle at a new place. Leave it and try to make some deal with the owner.