Pattaya Police seek cooperation from Gold Shop Owners to prevent Gold Theft cases

Lite Beer

Pattaya Police seek cooperation from Gold Shop Owners to prevent Gold Theft cases

gold-1.jpg

PATTAYA: -- On Friday afternoon, the Provincial Police Commander, Police Major General Nittipong, chaired a meeting of Pattaya Gold Shop Owners, who have been asked to cooperate with Police to assist in reducing instances of street crimes related to the theft of Gold necklaces and other valuable items.

The General told the Shop Owners that from now on he would like to introduce a scheme whereby anyone who attempts to pawn gold items, must provide a copy of their Thai ID cards to the shops along with other contact details.

Read More: http://www.pattayaone.net/pattaya-news/174848/pattaya-police-seek-cooperation-from-gold-shop-owners-to-prevent-gold-theft-cases/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+PattayaOneNews+%28Pattaya+One+News%29

pattaya-one.jpg
-- Pattaya One 2015-03-07

Getting the seller's ID card is the only practical measure that can be taken IMO. Original receipts or certificates of authenticity are not at all workable.

When selling a gold chain at a shop it's weighed, cut through with a hack saw in several places and then partially melted to verify authenticity. Then the posted "buying gold" price is paid in cash.

I never wear gold when visiting Pattaya.

you know no one thinks it will happen to them, that is the problem. Gold shops buy this back for pennies on the dollar, they do not care.

Gold shops pay the posted "buying price" which is not significantly lower that the selling price. That's why gold is so popular with Chinese Thai and Thai people. I't's almost as good as cash, or better, as it appreciates in value.

I wouldn't put a 100 one thousand baht notes in a clear zip lock bag and wear it around my neck walking anywhere especially in Pattaya.

I've always said that a "certificate of authenticity" should be issued with each new gold item on purchase. Anyone trying to pawn a gold necklace or whatever should also have to produce the proper certificate

Every time I've bought gold (only bars) I've asked for a store receipt and whenever I wanted to sell the gold back I've brought along the receipt whether or not it was the same shop. All you need to do is ask.