U.s. I129f Petition

The fun has just begun! This is the easy part. Wait until you get her in the states. My first wife was Japanese. Now I am doing it again with my Thai wife. We were married in Sept. The INS is the most crooked department in our government. They are extremely arrogant and rude. Once you get her in the U.S you will have to take her to file a 950I something or another every year until she gets her green card. This can only be done in certain cities that are 14 hour drives apart. New Orleans and Atlanta are two. Can you say extortion! They are going to tell you they lost the paperwork and you have to pay another $750, file the form again, and return next year. Try that after a 12 hour drive...They love to pull this on the Mexicans. The only reason my ex got hers in 3 years is because she did Trent Lot's secretary's nails. GET A LAWYER TO GO WITH YOU EVERY TIME YOU TALK TO THEM! And now I here we have to appease the Department of Homeland Security. They have to make sure my 5ft wife doesn’t have mad bombers disease or a member of the Taliban. They are going to go to interview the people you write down as contacts. Granted I haven’t got that far yet. But a guy I’m working with was telling me about it. I would not marry after going to the States if I were any of you. Make it a done deal so that there is no question. I am in a difficult situation because I am homeless in the states. My house was destroyed in Hurricane Katrina. I live in Bangkok with my wife and work in Afghanistan. So I know I am going to fail because they demand a physical address just so my wife can travel back and fourth. I will never be able to travel on a tourist visa because the time allotted by the visa. But I’m going to try anyway. They are real bastards so just go with the flow and expect the worst or you will give yourself ulcers. " Those who trade liberty for security have neither !" :o

Sorry to hear about your problems with INS. I would not call them corrupt, just inept.

Fortunately I am in Hawaii, and there is a office in Honolulu, so travel is not that difficult.

I have deliberately not mentioned the firm that I used, but I would like to that now - I used Brian Wright in Bangkok -

http://www.mythaifiancee.com/

Disclaimer: I have no interest in his organization, and paid full price for his services rendered.

Every form that he filed (probably 500 pages) was accepted without any question, and he filed every document as soon as possible by law or regulation. Using his knowledge, he shortened the process by at least 2 months, not by deceit, but by knowing the process inside and out - Very professional, and I can recommend him unconditionally.

BTW, My wife and family will leave Bangkok on Sta. 1/27 for America.

Bill, if you do not mind me asking, how much did you have to pay for the airfare for your wife and kids?

My wife is scheduled for her visa interview in a couple of months, and I was thinking of buying a ticket for her and my daughter about a month later, but I am concerned about the cost of booking travel only weeks in advance of the actual travel.

Edited by Gumballl

Thanks for all the info guys and congrats on the happy endings! I was considering this last year but seemed like from all the stories at the time it was just too difficult. I think I'll try again.

I've seen reference to both Fiancee and Thai wife in the posts and am confused about who is what? What do you think are the practical differences in the process between marrying here or going the fiancee route? I lean towards the Fiancee, I'd like to give her a chance to aee what she's in for before we make it permanent.

Gumball,

i've flown with China Air the past few times back and forth. They have good prices, good service, and you can purchase tickets last minute same price provided seats are available.

I've seen reference to both Fiancee and Thai wife in the posts and am confused about who is what? What do you think are the practical differences in the process between marrying here or going the fiancee route? I lean towards the Fiancee, I'd like to give her a chance to aee what she's in for before we make it permanent.

My TW ended up with a Fiancée visa even though she was approved for both. The reason for this is it takes a few months longer filing all the additional paperwork, but she arrives in the States with a green card and a SS card. With the Fiancée visa, all of this paperwork will be filed here, so she will at least be here while we file these. The downside is that she cannot work until the paperwork is completed.

I know, It does not make any sense, bringing your wife to the U.S. on a Fiancée visa, but who am I to know?

Bill, if you do not mind me asking, how much did you have to pay for the airfare for your wife and kids?

My wife is scheduled for her visa interview in a couple of months, and I was thinking of buying a ticket for her and my daughter about a month later, but I am concerned about the cost of booking travel only weeks in advance of the actual travel.

I ended up buying her and her daughter a one way ticket from Bangkok to Hawaii for $869, using my travel agent here in Hawaii. I tried a few travel agents in Bangkok, but he price was about 21000 Baht - Not a good deal.

I'm sure that if I were on the ground in Bangkok I could get a better one way ticket price, but I was not.

I ended up buying her and her daughter a one way ticket from Bangkok to Hawaii for $869, using my travel agent here in Hawaii. I tried a few travel agents in Bangkok, but he price was about 21000 Baht - Not a good deal.

I'm sure that if I were on the ground in Bangkok I could get a better one way ticket price, but I was not.

Congrats to all..and Bill, thank you for increasing the Thai population here in the 808 state!

My Thai wife and I are awaiting approval as i type. her in Thailand..me back in Hawaii (due to the new 90 day policy implemted by the Thais). I plan on heading back with or without an appointment March 1st...hopefully I can secure a marriage visa for myself while there.

We hired an agency and they got us off to a bad start. They informed us that we did not have to send checks for both the 129F and the 130 (?). This was wrong and we were consequently... REJECTED. A sad day that was. I think we are now back on track...though we have lost 3 to 4 weeks.

Didn't mean to hi-jack.... just wanted to warn others that hirng an agency is not always a surefire ticket to success. Congrats again and best wishes to those in waiting.

Congrats to all..and Bill, thank you for increasing the Thai population here in the 808 state!

My Thai wife and I are awaiting approval as i type. her in Thailand..me back in Hawaii (due to the new 90 day policy implemted by the Thais). I plan on heading back with or without an appointment March 1st...hopefully I can secure a marriage visa for myself while there.

I am unaware of any 90 day policy - Can you elaborate?

We hired an agency and they got us off to a bad start. They informed us that we did not have to send checks for both the 129F and the 130 (?). This was wrong and we were consequently... REJECTED. A sad day that was. I think we are now back on track...though we have lost 3 to 4 weeks.

As I remember, there is a fee for both. You submit the I130 with the fee, wait until you get a receipt number, and then file the I129 with their fee (I may have the numbers turned around). Brian was very specific about this procedure and both were accepted.

Hello Bill,

I suppose the "90 day policy" i refer to does not apply to everybody. I am not overly familiar with the various visas but have always traveled as a tourist.

Thailand, in an effort to discourage illegal workers, has implemented a law that basically disallows anyone from staying any longer than 90 days in a 180 day period. Anyone without a work permit (or special visa). I understand I am now elligible for a "marriage visa" which will allow me to stay 1 year between visa runs. At least that's my interpretation; I could be wrong.

The agent we dealt with assurred me he saved me (essentially) half the fee for the two petitions. I accepted this in passing because i really didn't care about saving $170 (or $190) bucks...time of course was my prime concern.

The agent was wrong. Cost us several weeks....and didn't save me the $170 either, LOL!

They took receipt of the check and I now await the next step. My plan is to go to BKK on the 1st...but I'd sure like to be taking some paperwork with me. Not sure of what to do here.

Again I offer you congratulations. No more tourist Thai-food at Keo's for you my friend. I hope to be in your situation very soon.

Aloha and sawadee krup.

Congrats Bill! Did Brian Wright help you out okay? He seems very experienced. Did Brian get the online barcode for your TW for her interview?

A couple of weeks after I received the email stating that the application was approved and forwarded to Bangkok, He told me to call them and get the new number assigned to the case (They begin with BKK).

He then proceeded with the application, as he had all of the forms that they send to the Thai person (Assuming that the mail works) and scheduled an appointment - This alone probably saved us about a month.

He runs his office like an assembly line - You never hear from him until your case is about to come up, and then he goes in action.

I plan on using him to file our AOS petition shortly.

On a related note:

Thanx for ther PMs guys...

...but I am sorry to report that I am not willing (at this time) to disclose the name of the agency we are working with.

I will say that it is NOT any of the agencies mentioned in this thread, or in your PMs.

Please consider the fact that:

1) This agency is still handling our case. I see no sense in making them hate us (at this point).

2) The agency appears to be owned and operated by good, decent people.. Everybody is entitled to a mistake (or two). Am I happy these mistakes have happened to my wife and I? No.

Would people be fired if these mistakes happened within MY company? Yes.

I am hoping this agency gets a second wind as we (hopefully) head towards the home stretch.

Fingers crossed... and good luck to you all.

• 2 weeks later...
Congrats Bill! Did Brian Wright help you out okay? He seems very experienced. Did Brian get the online barcode for your TW for her interview?

A couple of weeks after I received the email stating that the application was approved and forwarded to Bangkok, He told me to call them and get the new number assigned to the case (They begin with BKK).

He then proceeded with the application, as he had all of the forms that they send to the Thai person (Assuming that the mail works) and scheduled an appointment - This alone probably saved us about a month.

He runs his office like an assembly line - You never hear from him until your case is about to come up, and then he goes in action.

True, but if you need extra help he will interrupt the assembly line to help you out. I try to avoid taking his time though.

True, but if you need extra help he will interrupt the assembly line to help you out. I try to avoid taking his time though.

My wife arrived in the US in November of 2004 on a K-3 visa and finally received her permanent green card in November of 2006. If you have been married less than two years when she receives her green card, it is a conditional green card valid for two years, at which time you must file to have the conditions removed and if approved she is issued the full 10 year green card.

As far as the post about the New Orleans USCIS office, my experience there was great! They were most helpful and the interview for permanant residence took less than 15 minutes. Your mileage may vary tho depending on who you see.

The most important thing about the whole process is to do and send exactly what they ask for. They've seen it all so don't think you can get something by them. Cross every T and dot every I.

Edited by HSTEACH

Hey - I have a 129F pending for my wife right now. I am in the US with our son, but my wife is in BKK awaiting the visa. Are there any resources I can point my wife to to help her know what to expect with the upcoming interview and the forms she will have to fill out?

Does anyone know what the current wait times for interviw in BKK is? I saw the website listed it as 67 days from the time they Embassy gets the approved 129F until they schedule an interview.

Thanks!

I assume she's applying for a K-3. Information about the forms required in Packet 3 for a K-3 can be found at bangkok.usembassy.gov. The forms are in PDF and include DS 230 part 1, application for immigrant visa, DS 156K, nonimmigrant visa application, I-134..affidavit of support (you have to do this one and she has to take to her interview), and the medical exam forms ( DS 2053, DS 3024, DS 3026). The exam in Bangkok can be either at Bumrungrad or Bangkok Nursing Hospital.

Questions asked at the interview could be, where you met, how long you have been married, where she plans to live in the US (your home), does she plan to work, plus any number of personal questions so as to establish a true relationship exists between you two. Complete and through paperwork is essential in getting through the interview process without problems. There are no exceptions in the paperwork issue. If things are in order, the process is rather painless.

Hey - I have a 129F pending for my wife right now. I am in the US with our son, but my wife is in BKK awaiting the visa. Are there any resources I can point my wife to to help her know what to expect with the upcoming interview and the forms she will have to fill out?

Does anyone know what the current wait times for interviw in BKK is? I saw the website listed it as 67 days from the time they Embassy gets the approved 129F until they schedule an interview.

Thanks!

Edited by HSTEACH

Cool - anything that will help her get prepared, but mentally and in terms of getting all the forms prepared properly is great. I'm not worried about passing the interview per se - we have a kid and have been together for years. My wife, however, is quite nervous about the whole affair, and not really knowing what is coming is certainly part of it!

A footnote -

My TW and her daughter had a small problem when they tried to fly to the U.S. from Thailand. The airline demanded that she give them our U.S. address, as this was required by Homeland Security. This tossed her for a loop, as she did not know the address, but luck ally, I happened to call her as she was checking in. I would suggest that you write this information on a paper for her to give the airlines.

Edited by billrussell