The 2015 Pattaya Songkran FAQ (long)

JSixpack

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Still quiet after 5 ? The photos PattayaOne took for the occasion were nothing short of pathetic - this town really needs something to fire it up, even if I probably should be careful what I wish for.

Indeed. Weak sauce.

Was out and about earlier and saw no tell tale signs such as watermarks on the street.

Off to Soi Lenkee area for food and will update if there any H20 related issues.

OK - out from around 7 to midnight tonight (April 11) and the only place where the sidewalks showed signs of any water throwing were that bar on Beach Road (I think someone said it's called Poppy's) and in front of a few bars on Soi 7 but you wouldnt know it looking at the staff and customers. One of the day shift girls was still there at 8:30 and she had clearly been soaked through - the rest either bought a change of clothes or as one girl put it 'I stay in room - stupid people !' .... if they were throwing water on other Sois, I didnt see anyone with wet clothes or chalk on their faces back on Second Road or in Made in Thailand.

For all that, there was a sense that a few more people may landed in town for the weekend - nothing even vaguely resembling NYE but a definite improvement on the previous fortnight or so. If this does prove to be a bumper Songkran per the images from previous years, there must be a hell of a lot of people yet to make the trek down Sukhumvit Rd. We'll see what the 12th brings.

I noticed the bars on Beach Rd. and 2nd Rd. eerily quiet in the early afternoon. Makes you wonder what that means, if anything, for Songkran this year.

I just got back after 5 months away (talk about bad timing) and have been really surprised at how quiet it is around town - everywhere. I expected pre-Songkran to be really busy. I've never seen Central Food Court so quiet, even in the slow season.

I just took a short trip down 3rd Road and didn't see anyone throwing water (about noon).

Edited by tropo

Shots fired!!

Confirm 3/4 sites on Soi Buckaow mainly the Pattaya Tai end but one at other end as well. Saw a couple of people who had clearly been getting involved somewhere in P-Town. According to FB it will be going off on Soi 7 this afternoon however judging by the dark sky the water thrown will be the least of their problems.

Too soon for 3rd Road, but they should be at it on Soi 7/8 this afternoon - just dont expect numbers to be anything like previous years. Still, NYE surprised me after a fairly tame December so I guess anything is possible. Might also pay to check out Drinking Street later this evening - I'm not a fan of their prices but my Thai associates assure me that it can be bigger than anything at this end of town during Songkran,

Very quite and easy to drive on the roads here now, up and down sukhumvit from Jomtien. All the sois looks quite too. Just seen some kids playing with the water. Tomorrow I will start my indoor life, should be fun.

They seem to have started at the front of Made in Thailand but I didnt see anyone with chalk on their face. Copped a single squirt from a Farang with a kids water pistol - none of the industrial jobbies anywhere to be seen - and that was it. Saw no sign of any water in New Plaza earlier and the bars looked as dead as I've ever seen them - granted it was early - but the restaurants seemed to be doing well when I returned at around 8:30pm, particularly Leng Kee on Klang - always seems to get plenty of Thai families in when there is something to celebrate.

I know that's far too early in the night to be making a call re the bars, but the rain earlier in the day has bought the temperature right down and it just didnt seem like drinking weather to me : bailed after a couple of beers. Saw a few groups of Indian men on the way back who looked considerably worse for wear - couldn't say whether they were homesick for their own Holi Festival or just young guys getting pissed, but it was unusual for that stage of the evening. Onward and upward.

Hi all.

Ive paid for a border run to Cambodia on the 14th during the Songkran week does anybody know if the border immigration will deffinately be open as usual? or am i being conned out of my 2,300 bt ?

p.s

my current 90 day stay ends on the 15th April so if Cambodia are closed what should i do ?

Thank You.

Hi all.

Ive paid for a border run to Cambodia on the 14th during the Songkran week does anybody know if the border immigration will deffinately be open as usual? or am i being conned out of my 2,300 bt ?

p.s

my current 90 day stay ends on the 15th April so if Cambodia are closed what should i do ?

Thank You.

Closing the border over a 3-5 day public holiday?

No, that isn't happening.

It's interesting that no one has posted here for 3 days. How are things going out there?

Last night (April 15) at 9 pm I traveled from Pratumnak Road, along Thrappraya Road and Thepprasit Road to Tesco Lotus on Sukhumvit. These roads were completely clear of revelers. Tesco is open until 11 pm, so that's a great option for people on the south side of town to do their shopping during Songkran.

That was it? That's what we're hiding from? Oh dear talk about an over-reaction. I don't get it. If you want to see a festival take over a town then you should check out Chiang Mai. From the OP I was expecting a great deal more water being thrown 24/7 on every soi in Pattaya. People unable to eat or shop. That isn't the case. Poor show P-Town. That's your A-Game??

Soi 6,7, and 8 for sure. Carnage. But you're unlikely to be wandering down those soi's looking for a Tesco at 1pm on the 14th. Beach road was pretty busy, same with second road. Not Chiang Mai moat busy but pretty wet. Third road nothing. On the whole of Soi Bukoew after say lunch then there were probably 10 places where you would get wet. But that's expected. It's Songkran?? Lenkee dry.

I enjoyed it but I thought after Chiang Mai for two years and the KSR last year I was expecting a bit more. I know the official day is the 19th but I was led to believe it was going to last at least a week.

That was it? That's what we're hiding from? Oh dear talk about an over-reaction. I don't get it. If you want to see a festival take over a town then you should check out Chiang Mai. From the OP I was expecting a great deal more water being thrown 24/7 on every soi in Pattaya. People unable to eat or shop. That isn't the case. Poor show P-Town. That's your A-Game??

Soi 6,7, and 8 for sure. Carnage. But you're unlikely to be wandering down those soi's looking for a Tesco at 1pm on the 14th. Beach road was pretty busy, same with second road. Not Chiang Mai moat busy but pretty wet. Third road nothing. On the whole of Soi Bukoew after say lunch then there were probably 10 places where you would get wet. But that's expected. It's Songkran?? Lenkee dry.

I enjoyed it but I thought after Chiang Mai for two years and the KSR last year I was expecting a bit more. I know the official day is the 19th but I was led to believe it was going to last at least a week.

Most people (including JSixPack I am sure) who post on this thread don't know where water is being thrown because they are staying at home to avoid it. We need to hear from brave people like you to give us live reports, but your rant has come prematurely, because in Pattaya 16 - 19 are the big 4 days. That's when Bangkok's Songkran is over and they converge on Pattaya.

If it turns out that Songkran has fizzled out we will all be very pleased to hear it.

Edited by tropo

Ok I will take one for the team here. Today I am giving my liver the day off so there will be no Soi 7 however I am happy to test your theory and go out tomorrow and gauge numbers. So far the 13th was clearly the busiest with more venues throwing water.

FYI people drinking in bars such as Witherspoons and the one across from it on the corner who didn't want to participate were not being soaked whilst enjoying an afternoon beer. Getting to and from said venue whilst staying dry would probably be more of a challenge but it is hot so you dry really quickly. The baht bus is of course a target but the people I saw laughed it off.

Another FYI those powerful water pumps were being taken off people yesterday on Soi 7 and 8 by the police. I saw them doing it. I didn't see one fight even thought there were plenty of drunk revelers but the police were getting wet and getting involved.

It all will start to explode tomorrow when "everyone" will travel to Pattaya to party. But the action as always is concentrated on beach rd jomtien -pattaya

Ok I will take one for the team here. Today I am giving my liver the day off so there will be no Soi 7 however I am happy to test your theory and go out tomorrow and gauge numbers. So far the 13th was clearly the busiest with more venues throwing water.

FYI people drinking in bars such as Witherspoons and the one across from it on the corner who didn't want to participate were not being soaked whilst enjoying an afternoon beer. Getting to and from said venue whilst staying dry would probably be more of a challenge but it is hot so you dry really quickly. The baht bus is of course a target but the people I saw laughed it off.

Another FYI those powerful water pumps were being taken off people yesterday on Soi 7 and 8 by the police. I saw them doing it. I didn't see one fight even thought there were plenty of drunk revelers but the police were getting wet and getting involved.

It's not a theory - it is personal experience from 9 previous Pattaya Songkrans... and the experience from hundreds of others over many years.

If you get drenched in the hot sun you will not dry quickly. Undergarments will stay wet all day. If you're going into an air conditioned mall, that will be even more uncomfortable.

You will find that contributors to this forum are not tourists who laugh off getting wet (in the baht buses), but mainly expats who live here permanently and don't find it so funny anymore after many years. This is a survival thread for people who don't wish to participate. You have the option of starting a thread detailing how much fun you had during Songkran. You will also have your followers, I'm sure.

We welcome your summary on the 20th when it is all over. I feel you're not being objective though and trying hard to find a way to undermine the information you found in this thread. For example, what's the point of telling us that customers at Witherspoons were able to enjoy an afternoon beer without being soaked when it is impossible to get to Witherspoons dry and most got soaked on the way there.

Do you ride a motorcycle around, walk or take baht buses?

It's not a theory - it is personal experience from 9 previous Pattaya Songkrans... and the experience from hundreds of others over many years.

If you get drenched in the hot sun you will not dry quickly. Undergarments will stay wet all day. If you're going into an air conditioned mall, that will be even more uncomfortable.

You will find that contributors to this forum are not tourists who laugh off getting wet (in the baht buses), but mainly expats who live here permanently and don't find it so funny anymore after many years. This is a survival thread for people who don't wish to participate. You have the option of starting a thread detailing how much fun you had during Songkran. You will also have your followers, I'm sure.

We welcome your summary on the 20th when it is all over. I feel you're not being objective though and trying hard to find a way to undermine the information you found in this thread. For example, what's the point of telling us that customers at Witherspoons were able to enjoy an afternoon beer without being soaked when it is impossible to get to Witherspoons dry and most got soaked on the way there.

Spoiler alert: It's just water :)

Deep breathes.

Have you left your estate at any point during the last 8 Songkrans? You seem to be basing all your 'experience' on Youtube and Thaivisa posts Nothing wrong with that. I'm telling you what Pattaya was like on the first 3 official days of Songkran this year because I was in Pattaya. On the 'mean streets' if you like. I rode my bike, walked and got on the baht bus. No water was thrown on any of the small soi's before noon as far as I could see. Can you tell me about Songkran 2015?

I don't wear undergarments in the summer here as it's too hot ;) Is that TMI? Commando is the way forward. My bad. If you don't find it fun anymore (assuming you ever did) avoid like 6 soi's in Pattaya not the whole of Pattaya. It's only in certain areas. Really.

I have to ask have you ever lived in Thailand before you moved to Pattaya? Are you of an age that cold water is a health issue for you? I guess it's about perspective, balance and recent experience. If that's an issue then your negative outlook is understandable. I have seen Songkran in other cities. Check out Khon Kaen and Korat if you want to see a city shut down for 3 days. That didn't happen here, sorry it just didn't.

I'm updating this thread because when I read the OP I was genuinely worried but now I know that the picture you have painted isn't accurate.

Maybe the 18th and 19th will be extreme but they are just two days not eight or nine. I'll keep updating this thread so those people who are avoiding the festival will know what the logistical challenges are in the future.

Angsta does make some valid points & I tend to agree that there is an overreaction to Songkran in Pattaya.

My experience this year is the past few mornings I have been out on my regular bike ride before 10am. My morning route goes along Soi Yume, Arunothai and through the back way to Jomtien beach road. I then come all the way along Jomtien beach road back to Pattaya via Buddha hill and second road. Not once on my morning ride have I been sprayed with water or seen anyone playing Songkran.

At 1pm today I rode down 3rd road to big c extra and back up Soi Yume, no one playing Songkran as far as I could see as was the same story yesterday, at the same time.

If you really need to go to Central or the areas of Soi 7& 8 then just make sure you go before noon, or be prepared to get wet. Obviously the 19th will be a different story. I have experienced Songkran here since 1994 & I'm sure it used to be far worse than this back then?

However, to back up Tropo you do get some complete idiots playing after hours in some strange places. The other night at 9pm I was riding down Nernplabwan in a quiet, dark section of road when some drunk Thai jumped out in front of my motorbike with a bucket of water. The water missed but the bucket nearly hit me in the head as it swung around, nearly causing me to crash.

On the whole I find you can pretty much go about your normal business but just go to the shops before midday if you are a bit concerned & there shouldn't be too many problems. If I'm not working I usually head out on the 19th to have a play around but that's enough for me.

Spoiler alert: It's just water smile.png

Deep breathes.

Have you left your estate at any point during the last 8 Songkrans? You seem to be basing all your 'experience' on Youtube and Thaivisa posts Nothing wrong with that. I'm telling you what Pattaya was like on the first 3 official days of Songkran this year because I was in Pattaya. On the 'mean streets' if you like. I rode my bike, walked and got on the baht bus. No water was thrown on any of the small soi's before noon as far as I could see. Can you tell me about Songkran 2015?

I don't wear undergarments in the summer here as it's too hot wink.png Is that TMI? Commando is the way forward. My bad. If you don't find it fun anymore (assuming you ever did) avoid like 6 soi's in Pattaya not the whole of Pattaya. It's only in certain areas. Really.

I have to ask have you ever lived in Thailand before you moved to Pattaya? Are you of an age that cold water is a health issue for you? I guess it's about perspective, balance and recent experience. If that's an issue then your negative outlook is understandable. I have seen Songkran in other cities. Check out Khon Kaen and Korat if you want to see a city shut down for 3 days. That didn't happen here, sorry it just didn't.

I'm updating this thread because when I read the OP I was genuinely worried but now I know that the picture you have painted isn't accurate.

Maybe the 18th and 19th will be extreme but they are just two days not eight or nine. I'll keep updating this thread so those people who are avoiding the festival will know what the logistical challenges are in the future.

It's just water? Tell that, for example, to the survivors of the storm surge in Tacloban City which killed 7000 in late in 2013, or the people flooded out in the Bangkok during the 2011 floods.

"Only water" kills people every year during Songkran. You didn't read the thread thoroughly because you missed the reports of people seriously injured and even killed on motorcycles while trying to avoid fools throwing water. You don't believe throwing water at passing motorcyclists is dangerous? - that's just naive. It's not the water that kills - it's the reaction of motorcyclists to veer off course to avoid the water which is dangerous.

The last 2 years I've stayed at home, but before that I always went out and about and have done full circuits of town on Songkran Day more than once (on a motorcycle - just for fun). I never did find it fun, but that's probably because I don't drink and I'm over 12. You've already made it clear you're an alcoholic, so that would explain part of your problem, unless it's senility.As a heavy drinker you probably ride your motorcycle around drunk too and one must also ask, how aware are you of what is going on around you when you're drunk?

What picture did I paint? It's not my thread, I'm just responding to your nonsense. The fact that you don't wear undergarments is an example of this. Most people do. Undergarments don't dry while sitting on a chair drinking beer even in hot weather, but how would you know because you don't wear them... Perhaps you could suggest that people get around during Songkran in swim wear.

Why don't you go out and play instead of wasting your time posting on here. It's only 3pm.

Edited by tropo

If you really need to go to Central or the areas of Soi 7& 8 then just make sure you go before noon, or be prepared to get wet. Obviously the 19th will be a different story. I have experienced Songkran here since 1994 & I'm sure it used to be far worse than this back then?

Central opens at 11 am, so going before noon is not really an option.

The night before the big day on the 19th people throw water all through the night all over town. You can't even get along 3rd dry at 3 am.

Edited by tropo

It's just water? Tell that, for example, to the survivors of the storm surge in Tacloban City which killed 7000 in late in 2013, or the people flooded out in the Bangkok during the 2011 floods.

555 this is comedy gold. Now I know you're joking. You had me going for a minute there :)

Good one.

The night before the big day on the 19th people throw water all through the night all over town. You can't even get along 3rd dry at 3 am.

Yes, fair point about Central opening times. I did remember just before posting but thought I might get away with it!

There is also usually a concert on 3rd road (North End) on the 18th which keeps the water throwing going through the night as you said. Normally I walk out on 3rd road on the 19th at about 10am and its compete madness already with Thais absolutely hammered drunk...

Edited by DMC1

I live near 3rd road and will be interested to test this theory.

3:00am??

555 this is comedy gold. Now I know you're joking. You had me going for a minute there smile.png

Good one.

My family home is 58 km from Tacloban, so that particular natural disaster was not just a news event or a joke - it cost me a fortune. Water is a very dangerous indeed. Wait until you've had a high pressure water gun aimed directly at you face and tell me it's only water.

Edited by tropo

I live near 3rd road and will be interested to test this theory.

3:00am??

Yes, angsta can't comment on the water throwing really at 3am and I avoid the concert on the 18th but there is no doubt people drink right through the night from the concert starting. This is North End of 3rd road where the open land is that is used for concerts.