Scotland Yard chief wants to install CCTV cameras in every home

webfact

Scotland Yard Chief Wants to Install CCTV Cameras in Every Home

LONDON: -- The United Kingdom’s top law enforcement official says home and business owners should consider outfitting their property with video surveillance to assist police. Privacy advocates are, predictably, up in arms.

Commissioner of Police of the Metropolis Sir Bernard Hogan-Howe said in an interview with LBC civilians should set up closed-circuit television (CCTV) in their homes to aid police by giving footage to match the twelve-million images of criminal suspects and offenders the city has on record.

Journalist and and radio host Beverly Turner, a victim of burglary herself, asked Hogan-Howe if CCTV could be used to aid in the pursuit of criminals. She explained that when her home was robbed, her neighbors’ CCTV caught it on film, but the reels were too grainy to tell.

“What we need to be able to do is to be able to compare that photograph with the images we have of people committing a crime,” Hogan-Howe explained.

Full story: http://sputniknews.com/europe/20150310/1019280729.html

-- SPUTNIK 2015-03-10

Taken out of context, of course, by some.

It's not the government installing and operating the camera's, fools, it's each home-owner. They, the residents, can do what they like with the footage, but also assist police if they can or want.

The topic title doesn't help. Perhaps if residents followed wants?

• Like 1

Just a small point, he's not the UK'S top cop he' in charge of the Met which is the biggest force but as an English policeman he has no constabulary powers in Scotland. Last time I checked Scotland was still part of the UNTIED Kingdom.

All too often, and quite erroneously, the words UK, Britain and England are taken as synonymous and therefore interchangeable.

"But I want to say one thing to the British people. I want you to listen to me.
I'm going to say this again:

"I did not have sexual relations with that woman, Kobkarn Wattanavrangkul" wink.png

Edited by JoeLing

Don't these people know that burglars wear hoodies so that when they are seen walking around a house they cannot be identified. All they need to do is to keep their hoodies on in the house.

The really clever ones will also be on the lookout for the CCTV system so that they can steal that too.

• Like 2

Within reason it should be a good thing, I am not against it and have 3 cameras at the front of my house recording 24/7.

what the law should protect from is intrusion (ie cameras that are not primary viewing ones own property), and distribution of footage where those shown may object.

I find the images on cctv generally so poor that it's almost impossible to identify the suspects.

In Aus there are only two guys who rob gas stations one wearing a base ball cap sunglasses and flannelette shirt. The other wears a hoodie and sunglasses and they never seem to catch them?

• Like 1

Just a small point, he's not the UK'S top cop he' in charge of the Met which is the biggest force but as an English policeman he has no constabulary powers in Scotland. Last time I checked Scotland was still part of the UNTIED Kingdom.

All too often, and quite erroneously, the words UK, Britain and England are taken as synonymous and therefore interchangeable.

Very true. And unless it's changed policemen in the UK have constabulary powers in the area covered by their own force and the areas covered by forces which share a border with their own force. Outside of that, they're just another citizen,

The massive cuts in spending will result in less police officers, reduced services and less ability to protect the public. The draconian laws which severely restrict the ability and rights of citizens to protect themselves, families and properties, and force them to rely on the police will at least ensure more YouTube videos of people being assaulted, mugged, seriously beaten and murdered for all to see.

Yeah for modern Britain - a real utopia especially if you're a crook or terrorist intent on a bit of carnage.

It's not the government installing and operating the camera's, fools, it's each home-owner. They, the residents, can do what they like with the footage, but also assist police if they can or want.

The topic title doesn't help. Perhaps if residents followed wants?

Exactly - should be "Scotland Yard chief wants residents to install CCTV cameras"

Even the "every home" at the end of the current title implies he wants the police to install them... "in every home." Just cheap journalism.

Note to self: any article from "sputniknews.com"... ignore it.

Edit:

My apologies if they are "sponsors". whistling.gif

Edited by JetsetBkk

Within reason it should be a good thing, I am not against it and have 3 cameras at the front of my house recording 24/7.

what the law should protect from is intrusion (ie cameras that are not primary viewing ones own property), and distribution of footage where those shown may object.

Won't be popping round to borrow a cup of sugar from you, then!

Along similar lines to those who have naïvely volunteered every aspect of their lives to Facebook which the CIA is very grateful for giggle.gif