Work permit via a friend

Just thinking out loud as I consider what options are available should I wish to stay in Thailand after my ED Visa/course finishes. I've really enjoyed myself here and would love to stay longer, but there are obvious challenges for long-term (1yr) visa/stays.

If a friend has a Thai company with adequate Thai staff, could I get a work permit through him if he was happy to do so? Are there any negative aspects for him or his company in doing so? (obviously wouldn't want to make his life harder).

Even if it was a simple job (managing a website) with very low salary (don't mind leaving the country every 90 days), it would allow me to stay in the country long-term at least? In turn I'm helping him as well so it seems like a win-win situation? Feels like there'd be a catch somewhere?

Thanks.

Your friend's company needs to meet the requirements to qualify for a work permit, which is 2 million registered capital (he will only need 1 million if you are married to a Thai), 4 employees and the job you are going to do is not on the restricted for Thai's only list. Then you need to receive the required minimum wage of 50,000 B per month or at least pay the payroll taxes on this salary rate.

Your friend's company needs to meet the requirements to qualify for a work permit, which is 2 million registered capital (he will only need 1 million if you are married to a Thai), 4 employees and the job you are going to do is not on the restricted for Thai's only list. Then you need to receive the required minimum wage of 50,000 B per month or at least pay the payroll taxes on this salary rate.

The minimum income is only for extensions of stay. With a lesser income you can still get a work eprmit, but would be staying on non-B entries and have to leave the country every 90 days.

All seems possible then, great news :)

Having read the forum more it seems there could be one issue applying for the work permit whilst on my extension of stay based on education? If I understand, I can apply (form WP1) whilst on my extension (some conflicting posts about that), but cannot receive the actual work permit until I get a non-imm B? i.e. WP1 is submitted, and the letter of approval is received, which I then take to say Penang with the rest of the documentation needed, and come back in on a non-imm B to actually pick up the work permit?

If that is still an issue - I would have to exit and come back in on a tourist visa, submit WP1, then exit AGAIN to come back in on a non-imm B? Aaiiiigh :)

All seems possible then, great news smile.png

Having read the forum more it seems there could be one issue applying for the work permit whilst on my extension of stay based on education? If I understand, I can apply (form WP1) whilst on my extension (some conflicting posts about that), but cannot receive the actual work permit until I get a non-imm B? i.e. WP1 is submitted, and the letter of approval is received, which I then take to say Penang with the rest of the documentation needed, and come back in on a non-imm B to actually pick up the work permit?

If that is still an issue - I would have to exit and come back in on a tourist visa, submit WP1, then exit AGAIN to come back in on a non-imm B? Aaiiiigh smile.png

You will probably have to go out to get a tourist visa before applying for the work permit. Most work permit offices will not accept an application if you have a a ED visa or extension of stay for attending school.

Then after you have the work permit application approval letter you would go out for a single entry non-b visa and then once the work permit is issued go out to Penang to a get a multiple entry non-b.

And your friend would have to pay the visa fee of 30-33 K if I remember correctly

There is no visa that has that high a fee. A single entry non-b costs 2000 baht and a multiple 5000 baht.

Even if you are actually writing about the fee a lawyer or agent to handle the paperwork it probably would not be that high.