Shipping my possessions over... Tax again!

If your wife was residing abroad for over 6 months she is allowed to import her goods into Thailand without a Tax Liability, the goods must have been shipped in her name only and only 1 of each item, you need a good clearing agent ( not a greedy one ) to clear the goods at the port of entry.

Your wife needs to have been residing outside for at least a year to get tax exemption.

Tried to get it for my son but with dual nationality no stamps on the passport to prove it - big whoops!

Bit the bullet and sent them an invoice with everything about 1-20 GBP each.

When questioned the low value told them in UK I would have to pay people to get rid of the stuff, used household goods worthless. Eventually had to pay 8k , part of that was to not turn up in person at customs (which was required just after coup).

Edited by cmsally

If your wife was residing abroad for over 6 months she is allowed to import her goods into Thailand without a Tax Liability, the goods must have been shipped in her name only and only 1 of each item, you need a good clearing agent ( not a greedy one ) to clear the goods at the port of entry.

Actually 12 months.

Even that however didn't stop them getting me in 2013, even though Id been away for 3 years. dinged me 24K. Got a receipt though.