Rural areas north of Bangkok

1happykamper

I live in Chaing Mai and I am researching a destination to explore, with the possibility of living there, that are north of Bangkok. As much as 150 km north of BK..I fancy a town close to Khao Yai National Park.

I have zero info on expats in these rural areas.. or maybe in smaller towns /cities in my search area. Thoughts and names of these towns please? Cheers.

I live north and in a not too travelled area and it is startling sometimes how many expats are scattered around in every small village in the area… many just come for a 2-3 week vacation, of course, all have wive's from the village and more and more seem to be settling in and retiring… I can only imagine it is the same all over Thailand and if a known place like Korat or Khao Yai area, I think you will likely have plenty of expats around, both full time and weekenders…

Went to Chiang Mai recently for a holiday from Bang Saray. Stayed overnight in Nakon Sawan......absolutely loved the place. If I could sell my house here I'd be gone like a shot. It would never occur to me to take into consideration the amount of Farangs that might be about the place.

A bit more north, 10 km fron Phichit city my house will come for sale, its really rural, 2 rai land and 1 rai on river Nan can use for free, 2 story house is on it, needs improval or built new, low price.

As many of the people here have said there are many places outside of Bangkok. Why dont you take a few weeks and drive around. Find somewhere you like then make a decision. I wouldnt be bothered about the number of expats in the area you chose, once you get out of BI live on the edge of Bangkok and I have only seen 3 foreigners there in the 6 years I have lived there. Does it bother me? Not a bit in fact I prefer it if there are very few expats. Most tend to act in a way that doesnt make the locals like us so why bother if there are none?

At the end of the day it is your choice but what ever choice you make all the best