Phone operators warned over mandatory SIM registration

thai tech

Phone operators warned over mandatory SIM registration

prepaid-sim-card-640x336.jpg

Govt warning to phone operators: make sure your customers are registered or face losing your telecoms license.

BANGKOK: The secretary general of the National Broadcasting and Telecoms Commission (NBTC) has strongly urged Thailand’s leading telecoms operators to do more in order to ensure customers comply with the requirement to register their prepaid SIM cards.

In January, the NBTC announced that all prepaid SIM cards needed to be registered by July 31st.

However, it is estimated that out of the 90 million prepaid SIM cards which are currently active in Thailand, only around 6 million have been registered.

With users seemingly reluctant to register their SIM cards, NBTC secretary-general Takorn Tanthasith issued a reminder regarding the July 31st deadline and told operators to do more in ensuring that customers register their SIM cards.

Read more: http://tech.thaivisa.com/phone-operators-warned-over-mandatory-sim-registration/6952/

the phones will not work after the drop dead date. what more do they want companies to do?

what is going to happen is all the people who have questionable activity on their phones will just get a new number so past activity cannot be traced and linked to them.

expect a surge in false ID cards for use during cellphone registration.

• Like 1

You can still receive a call also when not register only you canot call active!

For me no problem I use calling appz and enter the Thai number for register

do you have a link for your info?

from the above article:

"When the requirement regarding SIM registration was announced earlier this year, the NBTC informed customers they had until July 31st to register their prepaid SIM cards or risk not being able to make and receive calls from Aug 1st."

You can still receive a call also when not register only you canot call active!

For me no problem I use calling appz and enter the Thai number for register

do you have a link for your info?

from the above article:

"When the requirement regarding SIM registration was announced earlier this year, the NBTC informed customers they had until July 31st to register their prepaid SIM cards or risk not being able to make and receive calls from Aug 1st."

Unless you disable a sim completely it will still pick up the transmitted signal from the various mast country wide. If it detects a nerwork some apps will let you call via the app and not the network itself, I think that's what the poster means.

If you have a differnt simcard from another country for example all you're doing is registering on that network, that's why you have "roaming" charges.

You can still use these apps on wifis that are not secured and broadcast their details.

I have finally my sim-card registrated. At DTAC they asked for my working permit. I told them for registration, you don't need a workpermit just your passport.

They told me it was company policy. So I called with the main office. Their answer: "No problem, you can do!" It still took me 5 hours to have it registered at DTAC.

Edited by FredNL
  • Like 1

I have finally my sim-card registrated. At DTAC they asked for my working permit. I told them for registration, you don't need a workpermit just your passport.

They told me it was company policy. So I called with the main office. Their answer: "No problem, you can do!" It still took me 5 hours to have it registered at DTAC.

Mine took 5 mins, no WP needed.

Has anyone checked their registration? I registered my SIM a couple of weeks ago, and dialed *151# a few minutes ago and the response said it's registered to a passport number ending in 0000. My passport number does not end in 0000.

The kid who registered it did seem particularly inept, even for a kid in an AIS store, but I have no idea if there's actually an error or if the *151# response doesn't use the actual passport number.

Has anyone checked their registration? I registered my SIM a couple of weeks ago, and dialed *151# a few minutes ago and the response said it's registered to a passport number ending in 0000. My passport number does not end in 0000.

The kid who registered it did seem particularly inept, even for a kid in an AIS store, but I have no idea if there's actually an error or if the *151# response doesn't use the actual passport number.

They return the last 3 digits and an alphabet of an actual passport number.

Big brother wants to know who you are?

I'm afraid big brother already knows, and the NSA, GCHQ, your ex-gf, the income tax authorities and your mother-in-law.

At times live sucks, doesn't it ?

Who said anything about hiding ? If it's mandatory and it needs a passport or IDA then you're not hiding are you?

MY passport has a five-year validity. Before it expires I will renew (and since a year or so even the Netherlands will provide a 10-year valid passport now). I do not have the obligation to let the telephone provider know.

Of course the Thai government knows my current passport ID as even when I replace it I'll have to transfer stamps, use new ID for 90-day reporting, use when renewing workpermit, and so on.

Tjeez, life sucks being a legal alien.

I have my Thai phone and SIM-card with me in Belgium.

I'm not planning a holiday in Thailand before end of July.

I'll try to register the SIM-card during my next holiday; if that is not possible anymore, they can stick their card where the sun doesn't shine.

Who said anything about hiding ? If it's mandatory and it needs a passport or IDA then you're not hiding are you?

I did, but it was a question, and not a question about hiding. I was asking if those with objections to registration may have something to hide. Why else would they object unless they were just being gratuitously difficult

Judging by a few posters reactions, and previous reactions when this subject was first brought up, some are not too happy about it, but, bloody obviously, if a user registers then that person is not anonymous.

let's hope nobody will register. wonder if they will really cut 84 Million lines out of 90 Million in the country ;-) let Paranoia continue to reign ;-)

"let's hope nobody will register."

Why would you hope for that? So that you can join the queues of 84m people panicking to get their phones reconnected? Hope they charge you for being awkward.

Big brother wants to know who you are?

I'm afraid big brother already knows, and the NSA, GCHQ, your ex-gf, the income tax authorities and your mother-in-law.

At times live sucks, doesn't it ?

Yet they can never find the bastard who stole your car or burgled you, despite it all..

• Like 1

I did, but it was a question, and not a question about hiding. I was asking if those with objections to registration may have something to hide. Why else would they object unless they were just being gratuitously difficult

Judging by a few posters reactions, and previous reactions when this subject was first brought up, some are not too happy about it, but, bloody obviously, if a user registers then that person is not anonymous.

Do you think it is also proving you have 'nothing to hide' by allowing police officers to search your house at any time? I mean, you have nothing to hide, do you? Some of us value our privacy and reading about the US's NSA tracking whom you call and where you have been is offensive/invasive. Of course, you don't seem to value your privacy. 'Nothing to hide' is a stupid argument and no one would have any right to privacy with that attitude.

• Like 2

Mine took 5 mins, no WP needed.

Mine even less once I was at the desk. 1 minute.

They return the last 3 digits and an alphabet of an actual passport number.

Thanks. I wonder how many registrations are incorrect, and how many more will be incorrect if there's a huge rush to register in June and July, not to mention how easy it would be for the employees to 'make a mistake' for a hundred baht.