Check your flights

mesquite

http://www.chiangmaicitylife.com/news/flights-redirected-away-from-chiang-mai-due-to-smog/

Flights Redirected Away From Chiang Mai Due To Smog
by CityNews

CityNews – Flights into Chiang Mai International Airport have been sent back to their departure location due to poor visibility in Chiang Mai today.

MG_9976-1024x683.jpg

Below is a list of flights that were affected:

• Thai Airways TG106 from Suvarnabhumi Airport expected to land at Chiang Mai International Airport at 11.40am, but had to return to Suvarnabhumi Airport.
  • Lion Air SL8504 from Don Muang Airport expected to land at Chiang Mai International Airport at 12.05pm, but had to return to Don Muang Airport.
  • Bangkok Airways PG241 from Samui expected to land at Chiang Mai International Airport at 12.10pm, but was forced to land at Chiang Rai Airport.
  • Air Asia FD3161 from Phuket expected to land at Chiang Mai International Airport at 12.30 pm, but was forced to land at Chiang Rai Airport.
More here - City News
Edited by Tywais
Edited for fair use

Smog causes 4 flights to abort landing at Chiang Mai airport

BANGKOK: -- Smog in Chiang Mai caused visibility in the first half of the day to drop to about 800 metres, causing four flights to abort landing at the Chiang Mai International Airport.

The flights were aborted from 11 am to 1 pm. The flights, which were scheduled to land after 1 pm, could proceed to land.

The four aborted flights were Thai International Airways' TG 106 from Suvarnabhumi, Lion Air's SL 8504 from Don Mueang, Bangkok Airways' PG241 from Samui and Air Asia's FD 3161 from Phuket.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/breakingnews/Smog-causes-4-flights-to-abort-landing-at-Chiang-M-30256117.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2015-03-16

The air stunk this morning, and the visibility was the worst for this season.

I wonder if the usual suspects are going to accuse the airlines of over reacting?biggrin.png

Not over reacting, but most likely due to lack of pilot training being certified to land in low visibility.

Despite Chiang Mai International Airport being equipped with automatic instrument landing system, the four flights landing between 11am and 1pm had to be redirected due to extremely poor visibility at only 800 meters.

All redirected landings were a result of safety protocols set out by the airlines and not the airport.

How can mist/fog/smog/haze be more threatening than NIGHT time?

With all due respect, if you have to ask that question, you wouldn't understand the answersad.png

At night, there are lights to guide pilots onto the runway.

The minimum weather conditions for a Category I Instrument Landing System (which is installed in Chiang Mai and most other Thai airports) are cloud base 200 feet visibility 800 m. This is an international standard that is used throughout the world. If the visibility is less than 800 m, then its up to the airline or the pilot to divert. There is nothing unusual in this.

• Like 2

The air stunk this morning, and the visibility was the worst for this season.

I wonder if the usual suspects are going to accuse the airlines of over reacting?biggrin.png

Not over reacting, but most likely due to lack of pilot training being certified to land in low visibility.

Despite Chiang Mai International Airport being equipped with automatic instrument landing system, the four flights landing between 11am and 1pm had to be redirected due to extremely poor visibility at only 800 meters.

All redirected landings were a result of safety protocols set out by the airlines and not the airport.

Having been on a plane that did a last minute go around because of traffic on the ground, I'm pretty sure I understand why the airlines don't trust landing without seeing a clear runway ahead of them.

• Like 1

Four different flights, four different airlines, four different pilots. Bangkok air and thai air asia probably flew to Chiang Rai because they have their own ground staff there and can arrange ground transport to CM or fly back to CM if the forecast was to improve. Lionair I believe have no setup/staff in Chiang Rai so that would cause them problems. Lionair will always fly back to base at DMK if they can. Thai have many widebody flights to CM plus spare aircraft and crews at BKK so no problem sending the CM pax up on a later flight.

2015 and thaland airports still dont have those automatic guiding systems for a correct landing... if half of the planes could land in chiang rai, why 2 had to fly back to port of origin ?

Are you retarted? i live northern Thailand, i cannot see 100 feet lety alone metres at best of times, had no wind at all, maybe they got some later in the day. Probably why some planes went elswhere, ya do not have to be a rocket sciencetest to work this out. What planet do you come from?

.......They can take off, but not land?............Maybe thats why those water bucket planes couldn't spray!

It's a whole lot easier to get a plane off the ground than it is to get it on the ground (safely).

Has this happened in previous years?

Due to fly back to dmk on Wednesday morning. If I miss that flight it's going to <deleted> me over as I'll miss my international flight.

Wondering if I should take a night bus instead...?

You could shoot for flying up on Tuesday with the night bus as a backup.

.......They can take off, but not land?............Maybe thats why those water bucket planes couldn't spray!

The odds of crashing into the ground when you're going up are pretty slim. Going down without crashing into the ground requires skill and visibility.

They can take off and take down the plane without visibility.

But they don´t do it beacause they need to see that the runway is free from objekts like animals and other things.

I´ve been grounded several times because of fog.

Happend in France not so long ago with KLM, we had to wait 4 hours before they could take off.

Edited by kenio

Has this happened in previous years?

Due to fly back to dmk on Wednesday morning. If I miss that flight it's going to <deleted> me over as I'll miss my international flight.

Wondering if I should take a night bus instead...?

as you stay in CM, means you like that place, !!

You should stay there and enjoy with the people !! 5555

2015 and thaland airports still dont have those automatic guiding systems for a correct landing... if half of the planes could land in chiang rai, why 2 had to fly back to port of origin ?

Are you retarted? i live northern Thailand, i cannot see 100 feet lety alone metres at best of times, had no wind at all, maybe they got some later in the day. Probably why some planes went elswhere, ya do not have to be a rocket sciencetest to work this out. What planet do you come from?

If you are going to call someone retarded it might be good if you can at least spell the word correctly.

• Like 1