How Is Lang Suan To Live On?

Thaidit

It's probably one of the nicer areas. Lots of people (office workers) around during the day -- can let a little lonely at night though. If you know where exactly you'll be staying people will be able to give you more/better information.

Company might be getting a place for me to live on Lang Suan. How is this street as far as proximity to food, shopping, cleanliness, safety, ect? How dow this street compare to lower Suk? Any help is appreciated.

Is it around or on the Wireless Road ( Withayu)?

yes ...

Edited by jdinasia

Company might be getting a place for me to live on Lang Suan. How is this street as far as proximity to food, shopping, cleanliness, safety, ect? How dow this street compare to lower Suk? Any help is appreciated.

yes ...

Then, it's a rubbish place to live at. 20-30 mins to the skytrain. My BKK office is there, what a pain and sweat to get to anywhere. Add a few cows and u get Calcutta, India.

A "premium" location, try to push a prem with a baby in it along those cracked and unmaintained "streets".

Simpler, try to walk around there, yourself.

yes ...

Then, it's a rubbish place to live at. 20-30 mins to the skytrain. My BKK office is there, what a pain and sweat to get to anywhere. Add a few cows and u get Calcutta, India.

A "premium" location, try to push a prem with a baby in it along those cracked and unmaintained "streets".

I don't know what street you are talking about but it doesn't sound like the Langsuan I know.

I live on a soi off Ratchadamri Road but often go to restaurants on Langsuan Road and also walk there to go to Central Chitlom, Amarin Plaze, and other places on Ploenchit.

As another post said, there are many office workers during the day and usually a number of people during the evening hours. Apartments and condos are high priced, though, but all (or nearly all) luxury places. It is only a few minutes walk to Lumpini park in one direction and to the BTS Chitlom station in the other.

Generally, one of the better neighborhoods in Bangkok, for farangs.

It's probably one of the most posh areas in Bangkok. Relatively clean, except some dog poo in the morning (hi-so dogs though). A few nice restaurants and bars along the road. Spensive condos/apartments. Close to Lumpini Park.

The distance to the Skytrain would depend of where exactly you'll be living. My apartment is near the Sarasin Road end so it's a pretty long walk to Ratchadamri BTS station.

lang suan is probably the best street to stay in downtown bkk IMHO. i lived there for a year before moving to a condo nearby. the best thing about lang suan is that it is never jammed. thats because there are no traffic lights between the start and end (about 2 km) and it feeds directly into the CBD via Lumpini Park. lang suan is also located in between sukhumvit and the CBD and allows quick access to both areas. good variety of restos and a few themed pubs in the area, nice surrounds and generally upmarket neighbourhood. if you are staying nearer the ploenchit end, you can easily acces both the Chidlom skytrain (east-west line), and the Rajadhamri skytrain (south bound). this is hands down the best area to live in bkk.

I really like Lang Suan! Lumpini Park on one end and Central Chidlom/Chidlom Skytrain station on the other end....all kind of restaurants, convenience stores, a very nice Starbucks, a nice Villa grocery store next to Marriott Mayfair........nice greenery in relative terms....pretty international mix of inhabitants....very close to the central shopping/entertainment area of Rajaprasong (Central World, etc.)...one way traffic, but pretty smooth.....

the sidewalks need smoothing out, but I noticed that they are starting to put those electrical wires underground on Ploenchit at the mouth of Lang Suan....I hope they also start on Lang Suan itself...

the whole soi Lang Suan is developing nicely....a new "Centerpoint Central Park" planned for that space between Marriott Mayfair and Grand Lang Suan.... a new Marriott Courtyard coming up right off of a small sub-soi....short cut walking access to Rajadamri Road (Four Seasons, Hyatt)...

I cant think of a better residential location in the core CBD in Bangkok...the price of places to buy/rent is comparatively expensive, but I think worth it....

I don't know what convenience you guys are talking about. The area is Thai version of Canberra in Oz - with cracked pavements, stray dogs and fumes.

When I had a chance to work in BKK office, staff there told me there is nothing nearby to live in, restaurants are overpriced, the closest buildings are too far for walk, it's too far from both Sky train and Subway and if I did not mind wild u-turns the car is the only way to get by.

Proximity of the park is (for those with small children) is almost anulled by unpassable walkways that are 40cm higher than the road and are interrupted by side streets very often. With a prem, one would need a car even for 300-500m. That's what my colleagues with car spots in the office do - although on the same street, they drive to the night bazar and park there.

Staff from the offices (u realize how many people are in the building when you see the queue in the cafeteria) hardly ever go out to lunch, their food is brought by tea lady from the basement cafe where someone cooks thai dishes).

On many occassions, I was spending 9am-7pm hunkered at my desk without seeng daylight in that "trendy" area. Simple, nobody goes out and wandering into Subway or some expensive bakeries was not worth it.

This picture is from the office (like from - Conrad hotel), this is the nearest apartment building to the Wireless Rd (called "Urbana", google it and u will find 1-bed for 40 K baht) and it is 2.5km to get to - circumventing embassies and other properties.

Between me taking the picture and the building, is former British Embassy property recently sold for half a billion US$ for new the shopping mall development. Accompanying buildings may bring some "convenience" in terms of accommodation and convenience.

post-7277-1157071557_thumb.jpg

Edited by think_too_mut

Thanks to all for the replies. I am on the ground now and really like the area. My place is right in the middle of Lang Suan and the walk to the BTS is not that bad, maybe 10 min. I prefer living on this street and visit Suk to living on Suk and deal with all the traffic. The restaurants are a little pricey but still a lot cheaper than the US, and there are some reasonably priced places to eat.

Now that I am here in BKK, hopefully I can contribute to TV more than just asking questions.

yes ...

Sorry - that's not Lang Suan you are referring to but Wireless Road. There is a big difference.

I live in Rajadamri - Mahatlek Luang Soi 3 - basically a soi between Rajadamri & Lang Suan. Lang Suan is probably the best kept road in all of Bangkok. Nice pavements (sidewalks) - loads of great restaurants there and at the top of the road is Chitlom Station, it takes me about 10 mins to walk to the BTS station there.

Lang Suan has perhaps the best Starbucks in Thailand - a huge place but very classy. There's Admaker - a great Thai restaurant with live music, and a plethora of Italian restaurants. Lots of Chinese & Thai places too.

At the bottom of Lang Suan is lumpini park - with a small market open in the morning if you fancy a run & then some breakfast.

You really can't go wrong living there.

yes ...

Sorry - that's not Lang Suan you are referring to but Wireless Road. There is a big difference.

Yes, I was talking Wireless road.

yes ...

Yes, I was talking Wireless road.

talk too mut

Thanks to all for the replies. I am on the ground now and really like the area. My place is right in the middle of Lang Suan and the walk to the BTS is not that bad, maybe 10 min. I prefer living on this street and visit Suk to living on Suk and deal with all the traffic. The restaurants are a little pricey but still a lot cheaper than the US, and there are some reasonably priced places to eat.

Now that I am here in BKK, hopefully I can contribute to TV more than just asking questions.

Thaidit.....welcome to Lang Suan and the TV forum! :o I think you will enjoy living on Lang Suan even more (after you familiarize yourself with other areas)... (I lived in the Sukhumvit area, the Thonglor area, the Silom area and the Sathorn area and Lang Suan is my favorite by far .... :D