Muslim Brotherhood leader Badie sentenced to death in Egypt

webfact

Egypt court sentences 14 Islamists to death

CAIRO (AP) — Egypt's official news agency says a criminal court has sentenced 14 people, including the leader of the country's banned Muslim Brotherhood, to death.

The Giza Criminal Court issued its decision on Monday, however the court set an April 11 date to formally issue the ruling after consulting with the country's grand mufti; the mufti reviews all death penalty cases, but his ruling is not binding.

The case is rooted in violence that swept the country after the military-led ouster of Islamist President Mohammed Morsi, whose supporters set up large protest encampments in Cairo.

Security forces violently ended the sit-ins, killing hundreds. In retaliation, many police stations and churches came under attack by alleged Morsi supporters. The court convicted Brotherhood Supreme Guide Mohammed Badie and 13 others of orchestrating the violence.

aplogo.jpg
-- (c) Associated Press 2015-03-17

To me this is tied to current events in Egypt, such as the political violence, but perhaps may be seen as off topic.

From May 15 2015, Egypt is scrapping its tourist visa on arrival.

From that date, individual travellers (and some sources even claim groups, but reports are contradictory) will have to obtain a visa in advance.

"Why would the tourism authority issue such regulation now? Tourism in Egypt has witnessed a sharp decline in numbers of tourists visiting the country especially from the U.S. and North America, ”the chairman of a leading travel agency in Egypt spoke to The Cairo Post on the condition of anonymity" ~ link

At first glance I would suspect this decision would be based more on security (one article claimed as such, that it will give authorities more time to scan applicants), but we shall see. It wouldn't be the first time that a country, struggling from loss of visitors, decides to reward the loyal ones by........inflicting tougher entry conditions / higher application fees / shorter durations of stay, etc.

This same decision was taken in September 2011. However, it was lifted three days later following public outcry that such a move will negatively impact the already fragile tourism industry" ~ link

I like to tell myself this must be security based because the opposite explanation is too ludicrous to accept.

India also decided yesterday to roll out a new system of physical attendance at interview centres, for tourist visa applicants, including biometric data collection on the day.

Travel in some parts of the world is increasingly becoming a hassle.