using a Roku2 to watch BBC iplayer, 4OD etc from Thailand on TOT

jay1980

Hi

Has anyone successfully managed to watch UK on demand/catchup TV via a Roku2 in Thailand?

I have TOT adsl and my TOT supplied modem/router is a D-Link DSL-2750E

I have the admin password and can access all the router settings for port forwarding, ip masking etc

The Roku2's gui is limited and it does not have anywhere to change network settings or install a vpn.

I can stream the channels OK running Zenmate on google chrome with the location set to the UK, so speed should not be an issue.

Many thanks

I use a NowTV box, which is essentially a Sky branded Roku2. Mostly works OK, sometimes ad's can hang on 4OD & ITV, but thats a 'feature' of the box.

Give some more details about the DNS masking service you are using, the router, and how you have set it up

I use a NowTV box, which is essentially a Sky branded Roku2. Mostly works OK, sometimes ad's can hang on 4OD & ITV, but thats a 'feature' of the box.

Give some more details about the DNS masking service you are using, the router, and how you have set it up

Hi

Many thanks for your reply

I am masking my DNS at the browser level on chrome currently to watch UK catch up TV on my notebook (and TV via HDMI on notebook), however I would like to use the Roku as it is a neat box with a nice remote control.

Can you recomend a reliable and good value masking service I can use at the router level?

There is a lot out there but a real world in thailand recomendation is always best

I have the admin password for my router, I am pretty confident I can set up port forwarding once I have a service.

cheers

Edited by jay1980

Hi

Many thanks for your reply

I am masking my DNS at the browser level on chrome currently to watch UK catch up TV on my notebook (and TV via HDMI on notebook), however I would like to use the Roku as it is a neat box with a nice remote control.

Can you recomend a reliable and good value masking service I can use at the router level?

There is a lot out there but a real world in thailand recomendation is always best

I have the admin password for my router, I am pretty confident I can set up port forwarding once I have a service.

cheers

Lets start with the DNS service first.

I use Unotelly, I've used others in the past they all in my estimation work roughly the same. Nearest Unotelly DNS servers for us are Singapore & Hong Kong.

I have a slightly different model of D Link modem, but your's won't be too much different.

After you log in, go to the 'advanced' tab. There you will see a link for 'DNS'

There you will see options to obtain DNS from either the WAN interface (that means your ISP DNS) or one of your choice. In the screenshot I gave you, you see the two Google DNS address'; 8.8.8.8 & 8.8.4.4. That would be were you would input the DNS address' from whatever provider you choose.

Save it all, reset the router and you should be good to go.

For the UK services that should be enough, don't think there are using forced lookups yet.

post-97442-0-39252200-1426745747_thumb.j

post-97442-0-68796300-1426745821_thumb.j

• Like 1

I use the google HOLA app and I have no problems watching live streaming or recorded B.BC. and Indepenent T.V. programmes from the U.K.

Just ensure you have a verifiable U.K postcode to enter, then all seems to work well. I've had no problems to date.

• Like 1