Am I the only one who doesn't know how to use a Sat/Nav?

giddyup

I can feel for the OP as I am still trying to find my way around my NAV system in my new Mazda 3. It is just trial and error. I did manage to put my HOME setting in. My unit displays your current location on a map when it is turned on. If I touch that location (my unit has a touch screen) it will save that location and then I labeled it as HOME. Other locations are a little easier, at least on my unit, as I just type in the address and it gives me the location on the map. I touch that location and it is set in the memory. If I was near Pattaya I would try to give you a hand. Good luck.

Thanks. If I can't find anyone to give me a crash course, I'll persevere.

OP go to youtube and search on gps operation etc. great way to start learning. Do a simple search on google how does a gps operate etc. your question is too broad to help.

You obviously never read my question. I was asking for "hands on" help, not how to operate a GPS system here.

OP go to youtube and search on gps operation etc. great way to start learning. Do a simple search on google how does a gps operate etc. your question is too broad to help.

You obviously never read my question. I was asking for "hands on" help, not how to operate a GPS system here.

Ok what does hands on help mean to us? You have asked nothing specific, just arguments when people try and help. Your question is extremely broad. Narrow it down to your specific issue and maybe someone can help.

No you are not the only one who doesn't know how to operate a SatNav (I also am old enough to call a radio a wireless, but even sadder I still convert prices back to pre decimal coinage (UK) !!)

I bought a SatNav from a vendor in Tuc Com (Pattaya), in the 6 page !! instructions it did say you could set your own route, however I couldn't find how to do it, and a few hours after purchase went back to the shop, but no one there could figure it out either?, request for my money back I was directed to a sign that said 'no refunds'.

I played with it for some time, but the difficulty was finding a place name close to where I wanted to go, that the Sat Nav recognised, unlike in the UK where inserting a post code will get you with in metres of your destination. When the Sat Nav did produce a route, it wasn't the way I wanted to go and took me through conjested areas (Bangkok). Its been sat in the box now for the last two years untouched.

Originally, and this I know was not part of your question, but does allow me a little rant, Google Maps did excellent directions in Thailand, and you were able to click and drag, if you wanted to change the route. Directions were also excellent. I say were as two years ago I found the directions that Google were giving, were a mixture of English and Thai in that "Turn left at (then name in Thai) road, which was then completely useless as directions unless you spoke English and Thai. I brought this to Googles attention over two years ago, but they are still using these useless direction instructions.

It is difficult enough to drive distances in Thailand, there are no definative road maps available, and minor road numbering is almost non existant. Even on the large major road signs that have the road number indicated in a white square in the top left hand corner, I have often found the road number has 'faded' and is unreadable.

So sadly you are not the only one with problems operating Sat Nav in Thailand, however I have a Sat Nav in the UK (Halfords still sell them as Sat Navs !) and it is so easy to operate, so maybe like many things here, its not you that has the problem - its just a Thai thing.

• Like 1

Ok what does hands on help mean to us? You have asked nothing specific, just arguments when people try and help. Your question is extremely broad. Narrow it down to your specific issue and maybe someone can help.

I don't know how much clearer or more specific I can make it than this: . I need someone who has the same system and understands it to give me a few pointers. Happy to buy them a beer or three and meet where they suggest in Pattaya. If you'd taken the trouble to read what I was actually asking for instead of trying to tell me what I want you wouldn't be confused.

Edited by giddyup

If you don't understand that the OP means by hands on help, you obviously wouldn't be able to help him anyway. But for your information, and I'm sure the OP will correct me if I am wrong but what he wants is this:-

Someone to be with him and go through the basic functions of his SatNav (Sorry GPS), then once he has grasped these functions to go though setting routes to different locations a few times, and then perhaps when he has got used to that, perhaps going through some of the features, like avoiding certain types of road (toll roads) etc, setting via's in case the OP would like to visit specific locations along the way. Once he has got the hang of this I'm sure he would then feel confident, being able to use the basic funtions of his Sat Nav (Sorry GPS) to explore himself any advanced features that his Sat Nav (Sorry GPS) might have.

OP please correct me if I've got your request for 'Hands on help' wrong

• Like 1

If you don't understand that the OP means by hands on help, you obviously wouldn't be able to help him anyway. But for your information, and I'm sure the OP will correct me if I am wrong but what he wants is this:-

Someone to be with him and go through the basic functions of his SatNav (Sorry GPS), then once he has grasped these functions to go though setting routes to different locations a few times, and then perhaps when he has got used to that, perhaps going through some of the features, like avoiding certain types of road (toll roads) etc, setting via's in case the OP would like to visit specific locations along the way. Once he has got the hang of this I'm sure he would then feel confident, being able to use the basic funtions of his Sat Nav (Sorry GPS) to explore himself any advanced features that his Sat Nav (Sorry GPS) might have.

OP please correct me if I've got your request for 'Hands on help' wrong

Thank you for explaining exactly what I want, even though I thought I had already made it pretty clear as I've copied in bold and italics above.

As I mentioned before, I bought a new run-out model Triton a few months back that came equipped with a SpeedNavi GPS system. The manual supplied was in Thai but I did get an English online copy sent to me. However, even with the few pages I've printed off from the manual I'm having a lot of difficulty making sense of it all. I've never had any kind of GPS system before, either hand held or installed in a vehicle, and I'm not totally clueless when it comes to technology, but for some reason I'm finding this system beyond me. Like a lot of guys I'm probably not great with reading manuals, so what I really need is someone who has a few more clues than me to give me a crash course in it's operation. Any (sensible ones) ideas? BTW, I'm in Pattaya.

This is your original post and question....

Riddle me in what part of this paragraph are the words "hands on"???

No 2 GPS units are alike. All of them have different GUIs (Graphical User Interface) basically what you see on the screen. They ALL have different methods of inputting data, some buttons, some touch screens. Luckily, Terminology is fairly standard.

Unless one of us has the exact same model GPS, we have no clue as to how your model operates and therefore cannot tell you exactly how to do any tasks.

Type to model number of your GPS unit into google and see if there are videos of how to perform tasks you are asking for help with. Thats about the best you are going to get.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Just for information of all, SATNAV has not existed for a couple of decades. It is now called GPS and works from a different satellite system.

I still call a radio a "wireless", so forgive me.

You're a bit too modern for me, I call it 'the talking box'.

As I mentioned before, I bought a new run-out model Triton a few months back that came equipped with a SpeedNavi GPS system. The manual supplied was in Thai but I did get an English online copy sent to me. However, even with the few pages I've printed off from the manual I'm having a lot of difficulty making sense of it all. I've never had any kind of GPS system before, either hand held or installed in a vehicle, and I'm not totally clueless when it comes to technology, but for some reason I'm finding this system beyond me. Like a lot of guys I'm probably not great with reading manuals, so what I really need is someone who has a few more clues than me to give me a crash course in it's operation. Any (sensible ones) ideas? BTW, I'm in Pattaya.

This is your original post and question....

Riddle me in what part of this paragraph are the words "hands on"???

No 2 GPS units are alike. All of them have different GUIs (Graphical User Interface) basically what you see on the screen. They ALL have different methods of inputting data, some buttons, some touch screens. Luckily, Terminology is fairly standard.

Unless one of us has the exact same model GPS, we have no clue as to how your model operates and therefore cannot tell you exactly how to do any tasks.

Type to model number of your GPS unit into google and see if there are videos of how to perform tasks you are asking for help with. Thats about the best you are going to get.

Are you saying every SpeedNavi GPS installed in Mitsubishi Tritons is different? A "crash course in it's operation" and "BTW, I'm in Pattaya" might have given you a clue as to "hands on", but I also added more details as to meeting someone in post #6. I think I have made it pretty clear as to what I'm trying to achieve here, and that's a face to face with someone who either has the same system or can explain how mine works.

As one who takes a year to dim the instrument lights .I find Google Maps on my I Phone 6+ easy. It says "You are here ","go too", the spelinz a bit hard for me but then i hit Go,and SHE never shuts up., .Spot on with the Honda on-board ting thats a pain to set in the sunshine.biggrin.png

Hi There/.

SpeedNavi maps are a very good system (easy to use) had one for 5 years in my vios - bought it direct and they installed it,

You can register on their website and obtain free upgrages twice a year free (the 1st year) - then pay 900 baht a year for new maps, also speedNavi show pictures for junction views (great). easy to use setup (just some patience).

Best way is to use google maps for lat/long figures and then enter in Speednavi - this is the quickiest and easiest way to add poi.

I am waiting for Zulex to make a gps/Speednavi for my current car. - Also try google Zulex shops/Dealers (all around) they use SpeedNavi and will help you learn how to use it properly? pity you are to far from me in Bangkae - or I would show you and set it up properly

now expert but 90% there or near.

cheers Martin

Hi There/.

SpeedNavi maps are a very good system (easy to use) had one for 5 years in my vios - bought it direct and they installed it,

You can register on their website and obtain free upgrages twice a year free (the 1st year) - then pay 900 baht a year for new maps, also speedNavi show pictures for junction views (great). easy to use setup (just some patience).

Best way is to use google maps for lat/long figures and then enter in Speednavi - this is the quickiest and easiest way to add poi.

I am waiting for Zulex to make a gps/Speednavi for my current car. - Also try google Zulex shops/Dealers (all around) they use SpeedNavi and will help you learn how to use it properly? pity you are to far from me in Bangkae - or I would show you and set it up properly

now expert but 90% there or near.

cheers Martin

Tried to find a dealer in the Chonburi area and opened the Zulex site, but when I click on Chonburi nothing happens, so maybe there isn't a local dealer. Thanks anyway.

I have the same system as you, i have changed the settings to English, but whenever i enter a destination it comes up with 'No results found'....so i just use my iPad, couple of clicks and your away...it's good for handsfree phone use though.

• Like 1

(DELETED) Take it to the dealer and they'll be happy to help. (DELETED) Lol

If you'd bothered to read the posts you'd see I'd already done that, and nobody at the dealership knows how to use it either. Well one guy supposedly did but he only spoke Thai naturally enough, and I don't, so deport me.

Edited by giddyup