Windscreens

AllanB

I was thinking about fitting a windscreen to my bike, either my NV400 or it;s replacement, possibly a CB300 and have a few questions.

1. What is it like riding with a screen this weather, much hotter, a little hotter, very little difference?

2. Are they easily removable?

3. Where can I buy a screen and what sort of cost?

4. Are the screens interchangeable/transferable between bikes, these two for instance?

5. They seem good for touring, but what about for city riding, are they much of an impairment?

And any general advice SVP..

I was thinking about fitting a windscreen to my bike, either my NV400 or it;s replacement, possibly a CB300 and have a few questions.

1. What is it like riding with a screen this weather, much hotter, a little hotter, very little difference?

2. Are they easily removable?

3. Where can I buy a screen and what sort of cost?

4. Are the screens interchangeable/transferable between bikes, these two for instance?

5. They seem good for touring, but what about for city riding, are they much of an impairment?

And any general advice SVP..

Screens can be interchangeable but fitting or frames are always different.

Saves on bugs in the face and wind turbulence when visor is open

Weather wise only.....I used a mates bike [H D Dresser} one day only,i had no rain to test it, but he said it was quite good for rain protection....Worst thing for me was, as i had a full beard, was that because a negative pressure area formed behind the screen my beard was being sucked forward and covering my face and vision a lot and i had to put a couple of rubberbands and make like a ponytail with it...bloody distracting for sure.smile.png ..I also felt that a lot of extra heat from engine was sucking up into the zone behind the screen when riding...seemed that way anyway...to me it also seemed to catch a lot of wind eg when passing trucks etc went by it seemed to react more in the turbulence...just my experience.. and i guess if you don't have a beard its not a big issue...my mate swore by the screen...said it was the best thing ever for him and did as a screen should do..

Edited by andreandre

Weather wise only.....I used a mates bike [H D Dresser} one day only,i had no rain to test it, but he said it was quite good for rain protection....Worst thing for me was, as i had a full beard, was that because a negative pressure area formed behind the screen my beard was being sucked forward and covering my face and vision a lot and i had to put a couple of rubberbands and make like a ponytail with it...bloody distracting for sure.smile.png ..I also felt that a lot of extra heat from engine was sucking up into the zone behind the screen when riding...seemed that way anyway...to me it also seemed to catch a lot of wind eg when passing trucks etc went by it seemed to react more in the turbulence...just my experience.. and i guess if you don't have a beard its not a big issue...my mate swore by the screen...said it was the best thing ever for him and did as a screen should do..

Those are my worst fears, the heat that is, not the beard problem.

I am not going to fit anything that makes the heat worse, summer or winter. I guess I kind of expected that since my missus always complains about being hot when I am cool on a longish ride. I am her windscreen.

I don't ride much in the rain, not on my big bike anyway, I find it a bit scary being invisible and not being able to see clearly, plus the damn thing is so hard to clean afterwards. The Wave is easy to ride slowly, more maneuverable and hoses down afterwards.

So I guess no then, thought I would check. Thanks

Edited by AllanB

My FXDXT was the first bike I owned with a windshield.

As said above, it causes a vacuum behind it, so engine noise and heat is drawn up.

In the rain, you're getting wet anyway, so no biggy.

Also causes turbulence as air is directed up and to the rear. Where this strikes you is a matter of your height, some complain that it is right at the helmet which can cause buffeting.

Here in LOS I would not have one. But I poke along anyway, so no issue. And the breeze feels good.

Have one on my Versys and it really cuts the wind pounding you get down. Mine is a taller touring shield so great in the rain and I have had some truly enormous bugs meet their maker on the screen....better than my face!

What screen do you have on the versys Can samui? Im wondering whether itd make any difference for me having a bigger screen, although the one i have is quite big (dont know if the come bigger or not) i still feel a bit of wind resistance hitting around my shoulders although i havent yet tried changing the fitting points but i think it is set to the most upright setting (bottom screw front/ upper screw rearmost)

Have one on my Versys and it really cuts the wind pounding you get down. Mine is a taller touring shield so great in the rain and I have had some truly enormous bugs meet their maker on the screen....better than my face!

• 2 weeks later...