Work Permits

Dear All.

Can someone please tell me what I should put on arrival on my immigration form for the following circumstances.

I have attained employment by a Thai family company who will organise my work permit after starting. However that leads me to a quandery about what to write on my immigration form when I arrive there in two weeks time. The employment is not a contracted term and is for an indefinite period. (I am an Australian Citizen, 45y.o.)

Does someone know the correct response to put to minimise hassles both in the short and long term. (I know I can breeze through by writing "tourist" or "business" on arrival but i suspect that may cause problems later when the work permit application goes in.

Any Advice welcomed.

The answer depends on what sort of visa you have. If you arrive on a non-immigrant Class B visa, simply enter "Employment". If you come in on a walk-on "entry upon arrival", just put "tourist" - you will have to leave the country to get a non-immmigrant visa before applying for the work permit anyway.

The best approach is to have Thai company send you an employment letter - stating your passport identity details, their intention to hire you, the job position and monthly salary, and the intended date of employment. With that letter, you may obtain a Class B non-immigrant visa at any Thai diplomatic post. Then simply write "Employment" on the arrival card.

God luck!

Steve

Indo-Siam

Dear All.

Can someone please tell me what I should put on arrival on my immigration form for the following circumstances.

I have attained employment by a Thai family company who will organise my work permit after starting. However that leads me to a quandery about what to write on my immigration form when I arrive there in two weeks time. The employment is not a contracted term and is for an indefinite period. (I am an Australian Citizen, 45y.o.)

Does someone know the correct response to put to minimise hassles both in the short and long term. (I know I can breeze through by writing "tourist" or "business" on arrival but i suspect that may cause problems later when the work permit application goes in.

Any Advice welcomed.

Get a Non-Immigrant B visa in Australia before you come. Download the form and instructions at www.thaiconsulate.org.au Put purpose of visit as employment or business on the arrival form.