Travel Money for holidays in Thailand

Shrek

The usual conundrum every time we travel it seems to change

Out there for a month from next week

I was about to buy a travelex globe card - travelex do'and I always want cash when the banks shut

Travellers cheques same issue need a bank

Am I stuck with my debit and credit card for cash withdrawals? I don't really want to walk round with a wad of pound notes in my pocket

Well depends where you are going in Thailand really but some places you do not need an actual bank to cash traveller cheques, they have kiosks thruout cities that are open into the late night that will cash cheques for you at a good rate and a tiny fee.American express cheques are the best, Visa cheques can be a problem.Also you have ATM's everywhere anyway and banks in the day time.

ATMs are a great way to go, if you have the right bank. My banks refund any ATM fees imposed here and one does not charge the 1% (or so) for foreign transactions. Take out 10,000B and you only pay 100B with one, zero with the other.

Open a bank account in Thailand. Very easy to do. Arrive with a pocket full of pounds by head direct to super rich exchange to get the best possible rate. Walk across the road and deposit wheelbarrow load of Thai baht into your account and then just use the Thai ATM where ever you go.

• Like 1

Using ATM's you get a very bad rate for Euro's now, not sure about GBP/US$. The Thai Banks want to protect themselves against Euro volatility, so give 2 Baht less per Euro than they would give for cash/traveler cheques. Coming from the Euro zone, traveler cheques are a good option now.

Take cash, pre book accommodation before you travel if possible on your credit card, what could be easier than that?

With the usual sums for a holiday pocket money this is very feasible.

And overall you will get more Baht out of your money than with any other of the described methods.

Just don't change at the airport and compare the rates at the booths.

Most mid/upper class hotels have room safes.

ATMs are a great way to go, if you have the right bank. My banks refund any ATM fees imposed here and one does not charge the 1% (or so) for foreign transactions. Take out 10,000B and you only pay 100B with one, zero with the other.

I agree, ATMs work fine, especially if you have a bank which reimburses ATM charges, are almost everywhere, and you can take what you feel comfortable carrying. I have lived here eight years and use only ATMs for my expense money.

Using ATM's you get a very bad rate for Euro's now, not sure about GBP/US$. The Thai Banks want to protect themselves against Euro volatility, so give 2 Baht less per Euro than they would give for cash/traveler cheques. Coming from the Euro zone, traveler cheques are a good option now.

I don't know where you trade, I get the international rate for USD that day and get reimbursed for any Thai bank/exchange rate/ATM fees. So, I use my debit card for all expenses in Thailand, the best part, you only take what you need.

• Like 1

I don't know where you trade, I get the international rate for USD that day and get reimbursed for any Thai bank/exchange rate/ATM fees. So, I use my debit card for all expenses in Thailand, the best part, you only take what you need.

Excellent point. I'd hate to think of how much money I've changed back into another currency as I had too much. Paid for the currency conversion twice! LOL

• Like 1

Good for you, but European tourists I am dealing with constantly are hit with a bad exchange rate invariably, using Thai ATM's with a German, French or whatever bank card.