Previous Marriages And Us Visa

Well... as much as I enjoy airing dirty laundry, I have a previous "failed" marriage, that ended with a legal divorce.

The U.S. fiancee visa requests that we provide copies of the divorce documents to prove I'm actually legal to marry. Problem is, all of those documents are neatly locked away in a trunk in the U.S.

What can I do?

Is there a way to acquire these documents overseas?

Thanks for your help again.

Well... as much as I enjoy airing dirty laundry, I have a previous "failed" marriage, that ended with a legal divorce.

The U.S. fiancee visa requests that we provide copies of the divorce documents to prove I'm actually legal to marry. Problem is, all of those documents are neatly locked away in a trunk in the U.S.

What can I do?

Is there a way to acquire these documents overseas?

Thanks for your help again.

You could do a google for the court where you obtained the divorce, or the country courthouse, or perhaps the county recorder, it had different names in various states. Many of these actions are online and you could possibly download a copy. However, I sort of doubt that such a copy would be acceptable. There is, however, probably a means where you can snail mail a letter to the holder of records and request a CERTIFIED copy of the divorce be sent to you over here. FYI, this request of yours might need to be NOTARIZED at the American Services Section of the embassy, not free, $35 or something like that.

I had a recent case such as this with a Lao-Hmong guy who is still in the Suan Plu IDC. Ran down his divorce case in Fresno and found out it had not been finalized, thus his Hmong wife there is able to file an I-130 for his return to the U.S., eventually....

I also had my divorce papers in a box hidden away. Got my brother to did them out and e-mail them to me. They do not have to be certified or noterized. I had also looked into getting a copy from the court, but it looked like it would take 6 weeks for the mail. Just got word the the 129F is approved so it worked for me.