LOS Water Heater Back to the States?

HeijoshinCool

You have taken into consideration the difference in normal water temperature in USA and Thailand? Normal heater used here would not get water much above freezing in many locations. Point of use heaters are now available in US and would have the legal approvals so would advise using them.

http://www.sears.com/search=point%20of%20use%20tankless%20water%20heater%20shower

You have taken into consideration the difference in normal water temperature in USA and Thailand? Normal heater used here would not get water much above freezing in many locations. Point of use heaters are now available in US and would have the legal approvals so would advise using them.

http://www.sears.com/search=point%20of%20use%20tankless%20water%20heater%20shower

Thanks for the response:

1. I don't understand your second sentence … where is "here?" My heater will be used in Texas.

2. All the point of use heaters I've seen in the States (like your link), are simply heaters meant to be hidden away. I like the ones in LOS, with the integral shower unit.

3. I'll be building in rural Texas. No permits required; no inspections.

So, would one I bought in LOS, function in the States?

It would work for sure if you really have a 220/230 V supply.

Where do you get that from?

50 vs. 60 Hz is irrelevant for a heating coil.

All houses in the States have 220V - 240V, single phase. Dryers and ovens use 220V. Tank water heaters do, too.

Thanks, as I thought, the Hertz only applies to motors.

As FYI, the typical single phase U.S. residential power feed to a home is shown on the upper left side....a residence gets 120V by tapping between ground and one of the two 120V inputs....220V by connecting between the two 120V inputs. As for no building permits/inspections required in Texas I expect there are, but I won't argue that with the OP....all one has to do is google "building permit Texas" to pull up 3.7M links on the subject with many of them to local govts in Texas.

post-55970-0-47436700-1427084071_thumb.j

As FYI, the typical single phase U.S. residential power feed to a home is shown on the upper left side....a residence gets 120V by tapping between ground and one of the two 120V inputs....220V by connecting between the two 120V inputs. As for no building permits/inspections required in Texas I expect there are, but I won't argue that with the OP....all one has to do is google "building permit Texas" to pull up 3.7M links on the subject with many of them to local govts in Texas.

attachicon.gifcapture.JPG

Note the word "rural" in my post where I state no building permit is necessary.

Municipalities require permits. The county where I have land, like many counties in Texas, indeed do not require building permits, and no inspections are made.

The only exceptions: permits are required for drilling wells, and installing septic systems.

It will certainly work and be safe, give it a GFI / RCD or whatever they call them in the US.

As to its legality, I cannot comment.

Thanks.

After surviving some very dodgy setups in SE Asia, the hookup in my home will all be very safe.

EDIT: It's called a GFI here, and it will be a brand made in Germany. Had great luck with in in LOS.

Edited by HeijoshinCool

The U.S. 240v is a alternating 120v 3 wire setup... How do you intend to wire a two wire water heater?... And most water heaters here have some electronics to control it.... These will most likely be fried in the first try...

Check out this model from Lowes... Read the install guide....

http://www.lowes.com/pd_481512-50857-AQE+12_4294765367__?productId=4744375&Ns=p_product_qty_sales_dollar|1&pl=1&currentURL=%3FNs%3Dp_product_qty_sales_dollar%7C1&facetInfo=

Edited by sfokevin

The U.S. 240v is a alternating 120v 3 wire setup... How do you intend to wire a two wire water heater?... And most water heaters here have some electronics to control it.... These will most likely be fried in the first try...

Please explain why you think the electronics will be fried if a 220-250V heater is connected to 240V.

Just ignore the centre-tap when connecting the supply, the heater in your link is a 2-wire (plus ground) connection.

Check out this model from Lowes... Read the install guide....

http://www.lowes.com/pd_481512-50857-AQE+12_4294765367__?productId=4744375&Ns=p_product_qty_sales_dollar|1&pl=1&currentURL=%3FNs%3Dp_product_qty_sales_dollar%7C1&facetInfo=

No surprise, it's no longer available.

Americans want a tank. A big tank. A big freakin' tank!

Wire it up the same way you wire any 240V water heater in the States.

For the OP: Given the choice of bringing a foreign product made in Thailand (and never that same model sold in America) to the USA and never getting any warranty support OR buying it from an authorized USA retailer and having real enforceable warranty rights, it is an easy choice. I am the guy who bought a Motorola phone in the USA and could not get any support for repairs in Thailand since that exact model phone was never imported into Thailand.

For the OP: Given the choice of bringing a foreign product made in Thailand (and never that same model sold in America) to the USA and never getting any warranty support OR buying it from an authorized USA retailer and having real enforceable warranty rights, it is an easy choice. I am the guy who bought a Motorola phone in the USA and could not get any support for repairs in Thailand since that exact model phone was never imported into Thailand.

I don't buy Thai brands of anything electrical. Many of the water heaters are imported from Germany.

I don't buy Thai brands of anything electrical. Many of the water heaters are imported from Germany.

I doubt that.

No one could pay such a thing here.

Would be at least three times the usual price.

Not sure whether any of these is produced in Germany at all.

Don't be fooled by "historic" brand names and labels like "Stiebel Eltron", "AEG" or the like.

All dead companies which names have been sold/integrated to some big group.

I bet there is not a single screw from Germany in our "Stiebel Eltron".

Most likely Made in China (as the majority of appliances worldwide).

Edited by KhunBENQ
  • Like 2

Stiebel Eltron makes water heaters and other items in Germany. And other plants all over the world. The vast majority of the Stiebel Eltron water heaters sold in Thailand are made in Thailand. Plenty of photos of the European manager of the Stiebel Eltron plant on the facebook page of Thailand Stiebel Eltron.

https://www.facebook.com/stiebeleltronasia/photos/pb.117262014971009.-2207520000.1427557165./867690226594847/?type=3&theater

I'm not sure about the larger tank products of Stiebel Eltron that are sold at "dear" prices in Thailand. I've seen made in Germany Stiebel Eltron water heaters in California in 2014 but I did not check all the models. Lucky Flame is a Thai brand but a Japanese company plays a role in their water heaters built in Thailand. Panasonic make some great hot water heaters in Thailand in my experience. Toshiba hot water heaters are made in Thailand at a Toshiba plant and they seem to be fine.

But in my post #17 I was encouraging the OP to buy his water heater for Texas from a USA supplier.

del.jpg Stiebel Eltron Asia Ltd. Address:

469 Moo 2 Tambol Klong-Jik, Amphur Bangpa-In, Ayutthaya 13160 ,Thailand