ten days down in the south

bkkgooner

Just looking for some advice for a friend of mine and his girlfriend who are visiting Thailand soon. I don't get to do much travelling these days due to work / family so I am a bit clueless. This forum has always steered me in the right direction when it came to travel thought so though I would looking for some help with my cap in hand.

Two of them want to spend around ten days hopefully on two islands, they are around 30 year old so will want to do a bit of diving maybe or just general exploring and then have a couple of drinks in the evening but at the same time spend a bit of quiet romantic time together somewhere beautiful.

Any help would be much appreciated as I haven't been to anywhere down south for about 6 years now, last place was Koh Samui.

Cheers

How about Kho Lanta and Kho Jum/Jam? It depends on how much nightlife they would need as both are pretty quiet.

I can't really recommend Phuket as unless they are Aussies or French youth they probably wouldn't like it too much as it's built up/ridiculously expensive/mafia run. Sure there are some nice spots still but there is so much shit so why bother?

Phi Phi? They are probably 5 years too old unless they like ruined paradise/buckets/over-priced accommodation/fire dancing.

When is 'soon'? I went to Koh Mook for three nights and then got a private longtail across to Kradan for another three nights. This was May 2014. Fantastic two places. Very quiet but we really enjoyed it and kayaked ourselves to the Emerald cave on Mook from Charlie's beach. Well recommended.

Tezza's blog is essential reading. That's what inspired me to go.

Here's Tezza's site:

http://tezzasthaiinfo.blogspot.com/

Great info there. For diving, the best is probably Phuket and then Koh Tao. For really good diving, a live aboard is the way to go and if they have the time, it will be the highlight of their trip. They could stay in Khao Lak, do a 4 night boat trip to the Similans, spend a few days in Khao Lak (which has some fantastic beaches and lots of restaurants/bars. Then maybe go to Khao Sok and spend a night in a floating hotel with a great boat ride in the morning that is absolutely fantastic. Kayak in the afternoon right from the front door of their room. It's not too far from Khao Lak. They could also sign up for an overnight kayak tour of Phang-nga with an outfit like:

http://www.johngray-seacanoe.com/

I did this years ago and it's definitely one of the best trips I've done here in Thailand. Fantastic.

Otherwise, Koh Tao is pretty good and you can stay on the island in a nice resort with places around for food and drinks. Quite romantic. And if they want a change, just pop over to Koh Phangan (avoid the full moon party!!!!) or to Samui for some heavy nightlife and partying. And plenty to do.

• Like 1

Otherwise, Koh Tao is pretty good and you can stay on the island in a nice resort with places around for food and drinks. Quite romantic. And if they want a change, just pop over to Koh Phangan (avoid the full moon party!!!!) or to Samui for some heavy nightlife and partying. And plenty to do.

I agree, except for the last part tongue.png .... Painting all of Samui, as "heavy nightlife and partying " .... let's narrow that down a little, to Chawang and to a certain extent Lamai... the rest is not even close to being a "party island" There are areas of the island that have some nice resorts, for a quiet get away.... just as good as parts of KP or KT...wink.png

Ban Tai (Samui) beach for example....very pleasant! .... As are parts of Maenam and Ban Por Beaches on the north end... Crystal Bay near Lamai.... others areas in the Thaling Ngam area, too, but it depends on time of year as tides in the summer months tend to be quiet low... so swimming is not so good in some areas from April to October .... wink.png

Edited by samuijimmy
  • Like 1