Do you trust the electronic safe in the hotels?

Two solutions that I have used.

First, a meter long industrial cable tie, which I would wrap around the safe after closing and locking it. The manner of installation and type of safe can make their use impossible, but you can use them on most hotel safes. Cheap, and easy to carry in your luggage.

Second, I now carry a PacSafe travel safe whenever I will be staying in hotels. Ballistic nylon bag with embedded wire mesh, and a hardened steel cable which wraps around an immovable object and then locks to the safe. I use a shrouded Masterlock instead of the less secure lock that comes with the PacSafe. A thief would need bolt cutters to be able to take the bag. PacSafe products are available at SuperSports stores in Thailand.

Neither system is foolproof, but will stop a casual thief.

Edited by WaywardWind

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The best safe is a place where nobody expects to find money, like in a book and other objects hidden at the bottom of a bag.

article-2677697-1F52D5B400000578-311_634

This is a great tip. If you have no choice but to walk through a bad neighborhood, hide your cash and wallet in a disposable drink cup and when you get robbed it will be the last place the bad guy looks.

• 1 year later...