Driving Without A License

medz

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know about Sweden but the UK international driving permit form

can be downloaded from the web and then the application done by post.

If you are driving without a licence you are by default without insurance as well. :o

An accident could be very expensive for you.

And what happens if you have an accident? It's a safe bet that your insurance policy has an exclusion clause that says "no licence, no insurance"!

thats strange, i bought a car recently and had it insured. no one asked for my license details throughout the entire process. just photocopies of my passport, work permit etc. i still don't possess a thai driving license. i thought they would finally ask me for it when they issued me the white plate, but nope, didn't bother, just the usual photocopies of passport and work permit.

And what happens if you have an accident? It's a safe bet that your insurance policy has an exclusion clause that says "no licence, no insurance"!

thats strange, i bought a car recently and had it insured. no one asked for my license details throughout the entire process. just photocopies of my passport, work permit etc. i still don't possess a thai driving license. i thought they would finally ask me for it when they issued me the white plate, but nope, didn't bother, just the usual photocopies of passport and work permit.

Yes, but you didn't buy your car from the insurance company did you? They don't check beforehand but my understanding (and my husbands) is that they will not pay out a claim from an unlicensed driver.

The small print in the insurance certificate always has a paragraph mentioning that a Thai driving lience is required. This is for personal cars, rent-a-car might be different as they go for different coverages and accept any licence valid in Thailand.

So far the insurance coverage. In case of a small accident that might be ok, a major claim and the insurance company might (I said might) point out that you do not have a valid licence if no Thai licence.

Besides of Thai licence you can use Singapore, Malasia and Laos licence, PROVIDED, you are a resident ineither country and come here as a visitor.

Other local licences are valid together with an IDP (Intern. Driving permit) issued by your country of residence.

If you do live in Thailand you need a Thai licence. Driving overseas is ok with Thai licence and IDP issued in Thailand. (There are restrictions as Thailand did nnot sign all the agreements)

Whatever you do, better safe than sorry.

get a fake license/real provisional, non-thai language license, keep 200baht folded up with it, hand over when stopped, say thanks and drive on.

How and where is that done? I´m not to do any frequent driving and have

only basic understanding of traffic rules, so I´d probably flunk a more

extensive test (no, I´m not a traffic hazard, I drive with a lot of caution

and rather slow since I´d hate to run over some little animal...).

On my last stay we rode a bit at the countryside. For our upcoming visit

I thought it´d be convenient to hire a bike while visiting more remote

areas or places with less of convenient communications (as Koh Samet).

[edit]

Thanks for the scenarios fellows :o

I´ll check the motorig part of the forum.

You don't have a driver's license in Sweden? but you think it is OK to drive here? Please ... stay off the bikes unless someone else is driving it!

It has been mentioned many times in previous posts / threads.

You are not insured, full stop if you have an accident.

As we are discussing Thailand you haven,t a chance in hel_l as this point will be pursued / exploited straight away.

Your bill could run into millions, not withstanding a possible jail term as a bonus.

If you are even half decent you will also have the outcome on your conscience for the rest of your life, just because you didn,t get a licence.

Don,t be a fool, please do it all legally and ignore the smart asses who think they can buy the law with a few baht.

I for one wouldn,t have any sympathy or support for the possible tragic outcome regarding any uninsured driver.

Get legal for all our sakes, please.

marshbags :o:D:D

P.S.

No matter how safe you consider yourself to be, the other drivers in lots of accidents are not.

get a fake license/real provisional, non-thai language license, keep 200baht folded up with it, hand over when stopped, say thanks and drive on.

[edit]

Thanks for the scenarios fellows :D

You don't have a driver's license in Sweden? but you think it is OK to drive here? Please ... stay off the bikes unless someone else is driving it!

Swedish driving licence-The Law.... :D ...sure they must have updated it......?

Driving licence, tractor licence or special permit?

To be entitled to drive a motor vehicle in Sweden, you must hold a driving licence, tractor licence or special permit.

The letters A, B, C, D and E on the driving licence designate the vehicle categories you are entitled to drive.

The Swedish driving licence is also an identity document.

Moped, class I

To be entitled to drive a class I moped, the so-called EU moped (= moped designed for a maximum speed of 45 km/h), you must hold a driving licence, tractor licence or special permit.

Moped, class II

To be entitled to drive other mopeds, a class II moped (= moped with pedals designed for a maximum speed of 25 km/h and with a maximum engine power of 1 kilowatt), you do not need a driving licence, but you must have reached 15 years of age. :D ......that explains it.....

Tractor & self-propelled machinery

To be entitled to drive a tractor or class II self-propelled machinery (= designed for a maximum speed of 40 km/h) on a road, you must hold a tractor licence, if you do not have a driving licence.

You must be 16 years of age to take the tractor licence test. Under certain circumstances, you may take a tractor licence at the age of 15 (age exemption from the County Administrative Board is required).

Off-road vehicles (ORV) / All-Terrain Vehicles (ATV)

To be entitled to drive an ORV with a kerb weight exceeding 400 kg, you must hold a category B driving licence.

To be entitled to drive an ATV such as a snowmobile, ”four-wheeler”, etc with a kerb weight of maximum 400 kg) you must either hold a tractor licence or a driving licence (if issued prior to January 1st, 2000) or a special permit if your licence was issued after that date. ORVs and ATVs may not be driven on public roads.

Taxi driver licence and commercial licence qualifications

Please refer to Commercial traffic :o

If you're 28 and never had a license of any kind in your home country, I kindly suggest that instead of hazarding your life and your boyfriend's, you RENT A DRIVER or walk. Just 'going slowly' isn't good enough. Pardon my harshness, but if you wish to go home inside a crematory urn, go ahead.

Just cause someone has left there licence at home doesn't mean they're going home inside a cementery urn, for renting a 100cc motorscotter, and putting around a small Island. BUT, yes a licence is important in case of an accident, so you don't get sued, like most do in Los.

[edit]

Thanks for the scenarios fellows :o

I´m pretty sure I did say I´d ride a MC in Sweden as well if

I found it necessary. Please read the whole thread before replying.

As we are discussing Thailand you haven,t a chance in hel_l as this point will be pursued / exploited straight away.

Your bill could run into millions, not withstanding a possible jail term as a bonus.

If you are even half decent you will also have the outcome on your conscience for the rest of your life, just because you didn,t get a licence.

Don,t be a fool, please do it all legally and ignore the smart asses who think they can buy the law with a few baht.

I for one wouldn,t have any sympathy or support for the possible tragic outcome regarding any uninsured driver.

P.S.

No matter how safe you consider yourself to be, the other drivers in lots of accidents are not.

The insurance angle is a quite strong argument which does make me hesitant.

Nevertheless, it won´t hinder me from riding in the most remote areas where

there´s no virtual risk of colliding with anyone else. My GF´s got a license,

and was of course the driver, would an accident occur.

I´m really not interested in 'fooling the system' or any fraudulant schemes

as how to fool constables if the situation would occur.

My initial query was what the likely outcome would be if I was pulled over

to pay some Tea Money and couldn´t produce any driver´s license.

'If you can´t do the time, don´t do the crime', as the saying goes.

I appreciate the sober tone in your post.

Edited by medz

Medz .... no one cares if you would drive a motorcycle in Sweden! We care that you CANNOT LEGALLY drive one anywhere. Having a license would not make you a better driver ... it would assure you are decent enough of a driver to be allowed on the road in the first place!

Again ... it is illegal for you to drive one here. You wreck it you pay ... You hurt someone and they determine not only that it is illegal for you to drive a bike here but that it is illegal for you to drive ANYWHERE and you will be out SCADS of money!

Get a license!

Scares me as much as the guy that is so afraid of motorcycles that he's only been on the back a few times .... but wants to buy a trike! eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeek!!

Are you by any chance the same dude that has

some paranoid compulsive disorder which forces

him to try to outrun that greyish character which

seems to follow him around anywhere he goes?

Medz .... no one cares if you would drive a motorcycle in Sweden! We care that you CANNOT LEGALLY drive one anywhere. Having a license would not make you a better driver ... it would assure you are decent enough of a driver to be allowed on the road in the first place!

Again ... it is illegal for you to drive one here. You wreck it you pay ... You hurt someone and they determine not only that it is illegal for you to drive a bike here but that it is illegal for you to drive ANYWHERE and you will be out SCADS of money!

Get a license!

Firstly, read the whole thread. People did ask me if

I would consider riding a MC in Sweden.

Secondly; Havinga driver's license would not make me a better driver.

It would merely prove to you that I know the traffic rules, which does

not effect my actual skills a bit.

Have a glance at the majority of speedbike owners and their driving

habits and tell me how a license made them into sane motorists.

But, that insurance issue is rather distressing though.

Too bad my GF is such a useless MC-driver. I tried to teach

her and we had some rides, but man was she instable (on closed roads

and quarters).

Following organization do issue International driving license but then again you have to make your way back to Sweden.

Försvarets motorklubb (FMK)

Kungliga automobilklubben (KAK)

Motorförarnas Helnykterhetsförbund (MHF)

Motormännens riksförbund (M)

OK Marknadsservice/Vi Bilägare

Svenska motorcyklisters centralorganisation (SMC)

Caravan Club of Sweden

Better off following the advice to get a local license. Getting one in Sweden would be a lot more expensive.

"I for one wouldn,t have any sympathy or support for the possible tragic outcome regarding any uninsured driver."

What the ###### are you on about? If somebody dies with insurance it's ok to sympathise, if they die without insurance you wont sympathise because it wont pay for the vehicle damage?

Get a License, about a year ago I run over a Thai child of 3 years old, the child was pronounced DOA at the hospital, luckily I had a license and insurance, the insurance paid out 50,000baht to the parents so they were happy and the police didn't press charges, since that time I have crashed my SUV into 2 motorbikes, out of that 2 Thai people were severly injured and 3 sustained minor injuries, my insurance paid for it all, even the wheelchair for the guy with the spinal injuries, it is not worth the risk of not having a license.

Danm, you SHOULDN'T even have a licence! With the victums and bodies you leave behind!!!!!!

PLEASE e-mail me when you ever on Samui, so I can walk those days. Thank You.

Are you out of your mind!!!!!!!

Do you fully understand what this means? You would be a sitting duck. By the time you hear his roaring engines it would be tooooo late. :o

But hey Jens, Youre already used to this. Samui are wellknown and as far as I know a couple of years ago held top ranking in motorbike accidents.

Edited by Alreadyinuse

Following organization do issue International driving license but then again you have to make your way back to Sweden.

Försvarets motorklubb (FMK)

Kungliga automobilklubben (KAK)

Motorförarnas Helnykterhetsförbund (MHF)

Motormännens riksförbund (M)

OK Marknadsservice/Vi Bilägare

Svenska motorcyklisters centralorganisation (SMC)

Caravan Club of Sweden

Better off following the advice to get a local license. Getting one in Sweden would be a lot more expensive.

Since I´ll only be staying on a tourist VISA, that

is not an option. I found that out while looking into

the matter, since that´d be my first choice would it been

possible. Would´ve been real sweet to be able to

ride all legally - but as it seems I´ll have to stick to

very little riding very far from any other traffic, as to

minimize any risk of getting into insurance issues.

(and, as I mentioned, would I wreck the MC somewhere,

it´s of course not I who was the driver, it was my GF

who does have a license... and, not to be unkind or so,

most likely would have been the one to wreck the

vehicle in the first place).

P.S.

The insurance angle is a quite strong argument which does make me hesitant.

Nevertheless, it won´t hinder me from riding in the most remote areas where

there´s no virtual risk of colliding with anyone else. My GF´s got a license,

and was of course the driver, would an accident occur.

I´m really not interested in 'fooling the system' or any fraudulant schemes

as how to fool constables if the situation would occur.

My initial query was what the likely outcome would be if I was pulled over

to pay some Tea Money and couldn´t produce any driver´s license.

'If you can´t do the time, don´t do the crime', as the saying goes.

I appreciate the sober tone in your post.

................................................................................

Thanks for taking it on board and qualifying your intentions medz.

My aim was to highlight / offer the negative things for your safe stay in Thailand so i,m happy you took it onboard.

As a farang you are fair game to be exploited / provide donations for the locals / police should any incidents occur.

This is not a racial statement, just the way it is in lots of cases.

Enjoy and take care :D

marshbags :D:D:D

P.S.

Just be careful in the remote area,s if you must ride as these tend to be more dangerous due to the isolation and for sure everyone rides with the view no one else uses the road.

"I for one wouldn,t have any sympathy or support for the possible tragic outcome regarding any uninsured driver."

What the ###### are you on about? If somebody dies with insurance it's ok to sympathise, if they die without insurance you wont sympathise because it wont pay for the vehicle damage?

[/quote...........................................................................

.............................................ended

Thanks for re quoting my referrence and showing your ability to misunderstand it.

If some no brainer is selfish enough to abuse the law along with putting innocent victims in difficult situations, the no brainer deserves all the self inflicted implications of not having an insurance that go with it regarding the offender.

Least of all does the non insured driver deserve any support for his selfish actions.

If you think it is about vehicle damage you,ve lost the plot in my humble opinion.

As for the cursing to exagerate your reaction on such a serious matter.

It sends out a signal of someone who is not in touch with self accountability who condones this offence and i,d like to think you don,t.

Silly me as i was only thinking about the WELLBEING of VICTIMS involved in any accidents with a non insured person.

This person could finish up being sued for funds well over and above his obligations.

If someone has limited cover on there own insurance and is hospitalised for long periods, unable to work and unable to take care of any dependants.

How is the non insured driver going to meet these obligations for starters, no to mention the possible aftermath

I won,t go on and on but many other things come into play and you should know this if you think about it.

Don't try to fool yourself! They are happy taking your money for the insureance but if you have any half-serious accident they WILL ask to see your license and if you don't have one they WILL DECLINE to pay!

It doesn't matter if you're a farang or whatever, not even about Thailand. Insurance is a business. How do you think Warren Buffett became one of the richest men in the world? He is the the owner-manager of the Berkeley Hathaway insurance companies. If they don't have to pay they wont. If you don't have a license they don't have to pay. Simple.

I have a full UK licence (excluding motorcycle) so I am going to apply for the international driving licence will this cover me for riding a motorcycle as well as a car.

I have just pased my CBT for motorcycle (UK) would this suffice for a motorbike licence.

Do I do the Thai version of the CBT and where can I do it (near Nong Khai or Udon Thani).

People have menioned insurance, where would I obtain this or does/will my travel insurance cover me.

Thanks for any help :o

btw I am a tourist planning on staying in Thailand as soon as I can but not at the moment.

Ok, now we now you´re a funny fellow, would

you please refrain from fuk'n up my thread?

This is just a wild stab in the dark, but I would hazard a guess that you aren't really from Sa-weden.... are you, mate. :o

Um, I guess that stab flew past me then ;-) Why would I not be from Sweden?

Om jag skriver lite på svenska kanske jag stärker validiteten i

påståendet om min nationalitet - varför det nu skulle vara så viktigt?

Edited by medz