Checklist of things to do before fiancee leaves Thailand for USA

My fiancee will be moving here (Washington state) in early July to live permanently. Can anyone make suggestions of things she should do in preparation for her big move?

Some things already on her list:

1. Get any dental work done (e.g. cleaning, etc.)

2. Buy extra Heartguard medicine for our dog. (It's about half the price in LOS than here).

3. Close her cell phone plan.

4. Stop her insurance.

Any suggestions please? Would hate for her to get here and then realize she forgot to take care of something!

Thanks

• Like 2

Closing her bank accounts?

Don't know about WA state, but can she bring in some of her favorite factory-sealed foods?

How did she get her plane ticket? If it was through an agent, no problem. But if it were through a credit card, she may be asked to show the card. If she can't they can deny her boarding.

Sell the car and/or motorcycle.

Make copies of all paperwork; carry one copy with her, and one copy in each of her suitcases.

I hope she has a good flight and sails through customs and immigration.

Renew her Thai ID card and Thai passport to reset the renewal date to as recent as possible.

Copy of Tabian Bahn (house book), birth certificate, school record, police report -probably done already huh?

SeaTac took my wife's factory sealed commercial sale packet of chicken powder for cooking. They are ridiculous. Other places let you bring in seeds, fruit, veggies... whatever. Ahh the land of the free! Free from chicken powder I guess.

Edited by ding

About her car... she bought it a couple of years on the 100,000 THB scheme (where the government gave her 100K towards the purchase.) But the stipulation is she can't sell it. Luckily, her sister will take over payments (but not give my fiancee any money for the equity she has the car (which pisses me off)). But at least she's able to get rid of the car.

We will live in Vancouver, WA. I was living in Portland, but decided to move across the river into Washington because NO STATE income tax! That's worth a lot of money every year. And, I'm just 4 miles from Oregon where there is no SALES tax! So when I make any serious purchases, I just head across the bridge where there are a lot of stores who cater to people like me coming across for the no sales tax. All these tax breaks add up to quite a few thousand dollars a year. Marijuana is legal in WA too and will be on July 1 of this year in Oregon. I just went to a hemp exhibit at the Portland Expo Center and the business is exploding.

She can't wait to leave the heat and come enjoy this beautiful cool weather. We are far north, but because of being on the Pacific, it stays mild, never gets bitterly cold. Last year, I was still wearing a sweater in early July. I don't miss the Thai heat and humidity for anything. It's the main reason I left LOS. I could not get used it. My apartment doesn't even have aircon because it's not needed for most of year. Good weather and tax breaks! There is a big Asian community here on the West coast too. I hope she makes a good set of friends.

The one thing that is really going to hurt is getting her health insurance. I have VA, but will have to find a plan for her. That is the big one thing I miss about Thailand. It makes me sick (pun intended) at what we pay for health care!

Thanks for everyone's advice!

Renew her Thai ID card and Thai passport to reset the renewal date to as recent as possible.

Copy of Tabian Bahn (house book), birth certificate, school record, police report -probably done already huh?

`

also put document copies on the web in cloud storage somewhere so you can get to it later

Get Thai government certified copies of her passport at the Ministry of Foriegn Affairs. Get translations of her Tabien Baan and any other school documents that may not be in English. Have her get a new Thai ID card in English from the Thai government. Get an English language Driver License from the ministry of Land Transportation.

I actually have it on our list that she should bring her bank book or at least a copy so she can make WIRE transfers back to Thailand to dole out money to anyone in her family that may need it. We have a house over here to maintain.

I will also not have her take my name when we marry to make it easier for her to keep her passport and ID up-to-date at the closest embassy or consulate near her. Changing her name in the US will cause all kinds of issues when and if she needs to renew her Passport and/or ID.

And copies or originals of any important papers she has or may need in the US or when traveling back to Thailand. Otherwise, I'd put them in a safety deposit box in her bank in Thailand if she chooses to keep a bank account open.

I just mailed our I-129F in from Thailand to the Dallas office on 3/16/2015 and still no word they have received it and I included that form to be notified by email when they did receive it. I'm starting to prepare another package. So much fun!

Just try and avoid the groups of immigrant Thais that try and play the face game. I had a couple friends divorce over it....you will know when you meet them. My one friends wife got heavly into the share game as well.

About her car... she bought it a couple of years on the 100,000 THB scheme (where the government gave her 100K towards the purchase.) But the stipulation is she can't sell it. Luckily, her sister will take over payments (but not give my fiancee any money for the equity she has the car (which pisses me off)). But at least she's able to get rid of the car.

We will live in Vancouver, WA. I was living in Portland, but decided to move across the river into Washington because NO STATE income tax! That's worth a lot of money every year. And, I'm just 4 miles from Oregon where there is no SALES tax! So when I make any serious purchases, I just head across the bridge where there are a lot of stores who cater to people like me coming across for the no sales tax. All these tax breaks add up to quite a few thousand dollars a year. Marijuana is legal in WA too and will be on July 1 of this year in Oregon. I just went to a hemp exhibit at the Portland Expo Center and the business is exploding.

She can't wait to leave the heat and come enjoy this beautiful cool weather. We are far north, but because of being on the Pacific, it stays mild, never gets bitterly cold. Last year, I was still wearing a sweater in early July. I don't miss the Thai heat and humidity for anything. It's the main reason I left LOS. I could not get used it. My apartment doesn't even have aircon because it's not needed for most of year. Good weather and tax breaks! There is a big Asian community here on the West coast too. I hope she makes a good set of friends.

The one thing that is really going to hurt is getting her health insurance. I have VA, but will have to find a plan for her. That is the big one thing I miss about Thailand. It makes me sick (pun intended) at what we pay for health care!

Thanks for everyone's advice!

Don't forget her bullet proof vest as this is America after all. You might get her hand gun train ASAP and get her licenced and buy her a personal protection weapon she can handle.

Please be aware that your I-129f Fiancé Visa process may take many months to get approved.

You said Early July move to USA.

Also said you just made application to Dallas.

I would predict approval not earlier than 8 months from now. 5 months for USCIS approval snf another 3 months for US Embassy Bangkok approval.

May I suggest you follow VisaJourney.com

it provides great peer sharing of experiences and questions.

Good luck. ..

My Fiancé has US Embassy Bangkok interview on April 8th. We started the I - 129f process late May 2014.

tj

• Like 1

I actually have it on our list that she should bring her bank book or at least a copy so she can make WIRE transfers back to Thailand to dole out money to anyone in her family that may need it. We have a house over here to maintain.

I will also not have her take my name when we marry to make it easier for her to keep her passport and ID up-to-date at the closest embassy or consulate near her. Changing her name in the US will cause all kinds of issues when and if she needs to renew her Passport and/or ID.

And copies or originals of any important papers she has or may need in the US or when traveling back to Thailand. Otherwise, I'd put them in a safety deposit box in her bank in Thailand if she chooses to keep a bank account open.

I just mailed our I-129F in from Thailand to the Dallas office on 3/16/2015 and still no word they have received it and I included that form to be notified by email when they did receive it. I'm starting to prepare another package. So much fun!

That is only 14 days, you need to wait a little longer. i would say if by the middle to end of April then start to work on another package.

When I sent mine package it took a little over 20 days before I got an email notice and then another 2-3 weeks before i got a letter in the mail.

just to let you know, It then took Homeland almost exactly 6 months to process my application ( i called 3 times during the wait). My friend's wife is from Brazil it took Home land 8 months for them, but that was two years ago. My total process time took 14 months, but we delayed about 2-3 months waiting on some documents from the USA (my certified copies of divorce in the USA, copies of my tax papers from my accountant etc) You might want to try and gather everything you need ASAP to be ready to prevent any delays. i had to request an extension at the Embassy in BKK to get all the documents together in time.

Good Luck!!

No advice for Luke...., but a couple questions:

I would like to ask what made you decide on the fiance visa over the marriage K-3 visa. I had decided, after extensive reading, that the K-3 experience was easier to go through, all things considered, less time-consuming.

And, about insurance for your lady, won't she be automatically covered by the VA once you are married? That was what I had thought.

I am planning on going back to LOS to marry my lady there and apply for the marriage visa over there. Plan has been to retire from the world on a 20-acre piece of desert in SW Utah, living on my disability from the VA. But you make a couple points about WA/OR that give me pause to reconsider.

Also, I think your idea about not changing her last name is a good one. One less complication.

Best of luck

I would like to ask what made you decide on the fiance visa over the marriage K-3 visa. I had decided, after extensive reading, that the K-3 experience was easier to go through, all things considered, less time-consuming.

And, about insurance for your lady, won't she be automatically covered by the VA once you are married? That was what I had thought.

I am planning on going back to LOS to marry my lady there and apply for the marriage visa over there. Plan has been to retire from the world on a 20-acre piece of desert in SW Utah, living on my disability from the VA. But you make a couple points about WA/OR that give me pause to reconsider.

Also, I think your idea about not changing her last name is a good one. One less complication.

Best of luck

K1 is faster than a IR/CR-1 (which replaced the K3, the K3 was slow also). K1 6 to 8 months, IR/CR-1 8 to 12 months. You can't file the IR/CR-1 in Bangkok unless you are living there on a valid Non-O visa for at least 6 months, and then it will take you about 2 to 5 months to get the visa complete.

My first Thai wife only gained 67 lbs, so that wasn't too bad. She ended up bringing over 12 family members, but that was OK as I had savings...

My second Thai wife gained a whopping 129 lbs, but i can't get too mad. She always said, "In Thailand, it's waaaay better."

My 12th Thai wife is still here. I think so....let me see....."honey!!!!" Oh wait, she's on date night....

• Like 1

Looks like you have received a number of good suggestions already. It is almost 10 years since my Thai fiance (now wife) arrived in the US. Once your fiance gets to the US get her involved in some local activities. I made sure that my wife could drive and she found a job. That helped her make friends both American and Thai. The first year was difficult due to culture shock for her. It has worked out well in the end and we will celebrate our 10th anniversay in May. At least your fiance has a modeate climate to live in. Mine had to live in Wisconsin.

Best of luck!

My first Thai wife only gained 67 lbs, so that wasn't too bad. She ended up bringing over 12 family members, but that was OK as I had savings...

My second Thai wife gained a whopping 129 lbs, but i can't get too mad. She always said, "In Thailand, it's waaaay better."

My 12th Thai wife is still here. I think so....let me see....."honey!!!!" Oh wait, she's on date night....

12 Thai wives!

Its them, not you.

In 90% Of the Importation....Love aint got nothing to do with it.....If bank accounts are at full mast.....ok......Thais are. VERY social beings and they will find a way to meet other Thai imports and they will play face.

And if you cant play.....the other girls will furnish her with a rich friend of one of there husbands......and your life is over if he is a lawyer....happened to my best friend.

Best of luck

As someone else pointed out, in order to marry here in Thailand and apply at the Thai consulate, you must be able to document living here full time for at least 6 months. In addition, still having permanent domicile in the USA.

To the OP, good luck. Due to the fact that a lot of Thai ladies do have the huge culture shock, and so forth, you may hedge some of your bet by not having her completely sell every one of her possessions in Thailand.

The car to the sister is ok, if your fiance ever comes back, she doesn't have to buy a car again, she can take it back for free just as she gave it.

Also, plan on visits the first few years for her to still feel connected to her family and that she doesn't have to go on forever without seeing them. I've been thru this and my plan is spending time in each country each year. Not everyone can do this, but it helps transition.

Find sources for her to buy her food. Big key. If she cooks a lot for herself, find places to buy the Thai sauces and spices. They may be online in the USA but can come via UPS in a day or two.