Some Thais have no sense of humour

It was brainsurgery on the hospital. The patient coud choose between Einstain, Sokrates or Thaibrain... he thought little while... yes now i know... i take the Thaibrain...doctor asked him... why you wanna have Thaibrain? There is 2 better..yes i know, but my choise is never used.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It was brainsurgery on the hospital. The patient coud choose between Einstain, Sokrates or Thaibrain... he thought little while... yes now i know... i take the Thaibrain...doctor asked him... why you wanna have Thaibrain? There is 2 better..yes i know, but my choise is never used.

Step aside Bill Hicks....

Most Thais have a wonderful, keen, sometimes wry, always affable, easy going sense of humor.

Sarcastic humor (which usually requires someone to be insulted) is both overrated and overused in the West, and to the credit of Thais, not very popular here. TV shows like 'Two and a Half Men' which rely almost entirely on sarcastic put downs and sexual double entendres for their humor, I no longer find funny at all.

It is also a laughably shallow assessment to say that Thai humor is mainly grounded in slapstick. Slapstick is but a tiny sliver of the Thai humor palette. Thais are masters at finding the humor in human foibles and situations. The skill and keen powers of observation a Thai comedian displays while impersonating a member of the opposite sex is oftentimes breathtaking. They are also highly skilled at making you laugh at yourself, and no one is better at using humor to diffuse tension or ease awkward situations.

I was think while reading the replies to this topic the right words to describe how I see and interact with Thai, on the humor level.

For me 'Gecko123' near hits the spot. From first coming to Thailand I was taken back by there 'dry' sense of humor, I found it to be very subtle at times and yes, lost on westerners........put it down to language and culture, the door swings both ways.

One point..... you say, Sarcastic humor is not very popular here.....Not very....But still practiced with some very good examples, most coming from my wife. I personally think sarcasm is very funny when done right. The only difference with Thais when they are being sarcastic is they tend to let you know with a smile and 'look' that tells you they are joking.

As far as Thai humor on TV.......Please!..... Tell me any country in the world that does not produce comedy that's not aimed at the idiot in the room.

Most western jokes are too complicated and require knowledge beyond the average Thai's pretty little mind. Hence they resort to slapstick and wordplay which have been around since classical antiquity, and just to be sure, sound effects are added to let them know "This was a joke. It is time for you to laugh and applaud".

It's pretty much like me telling you the following joke:

If you wanted to calculate the area of a 3 dimensional pizza, with "z" representing the radius and "a" representing the height, then the volume of the pizza would be represented by the equation pizza. Because the formula for calculating the volume of a cylinder is pi*r^2*h.

Did you laugh? No, because you don't have a degree in physics. The same applies to Thai's: They didn't grow up watching farang TV or humor. They'd be insulted by George Carlin or Jimmy Carr, thus they find the following humorous because it's simple and easy to understand:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q5sTnvHNYl8

If you wanted to calculate the area of a 3 dimensional pizza, with "z" representing the radius and "a" representing the height, then the volume of the pizza would be represented by the equation pizza. Because the formula for calculating the volume of a cylinder is pi*r^2*h.

Sorry. I saw Pizza and started drooling on the keyboard..what was the question?. Pie??. Done it again..Do you have any physics questions that dosen't mention food.

Edited by meltingpot2015

Sorry. I saw Pizza and started drooling on the keyboard..what was the question?. Pie??. Done it again..Do you have any physics questions that dosen't mention food.

Sorry I don't, but I have this: enhanced-buzz-15799-1295467114-27.jpg

Note the sound cues that prompt people to laugh:

Edited by Stan42

Sorry I don't, but I have this: enhanced-buzz-15799-1295467114-27.jpg

Note the sound cues that prompt people to laugh:

The classroom one will get more laughs in Cambodia, due to the French Influence. (no prompts for 'laugh now' necessary)

Edited by meltingpot2015

• 2 weeks later...