More restrictive spring break pondered after Florida party shooting

webfact

More restrictive spring break pondered after party shooting
By MELISSA NELSON-GABRIEL and MATT SEDENSKY

PANAMA CITY BEACH, Fla. (AP) — A house party that dissolved into a hail of gunfire and left seven young people hurt has officials on the Florida Panhandle pondering what to do with a spring break season they say has gotten out of control.

The raucous parties in the spring break capital of Panama City Beach have, for years, had politicians, police and businesses tussling over how much to crack down on a key economic force.

That debate was revived again when a packed gathering of dancing 20-somethings turned into a sprawling crime scene early Saturday.

"This is what we've been trying to warn people about," said Bay County Sheriff Frank McKeithen. "It was only a matter of time and it's only a matter of time until it happens again if we don't address it."

The city council held an emergency meeting Saturday to address spring break, allocating up to $200,000 in additional spending for increased police patrols. But motions introduced by Councilman Keith Curry to ban alcohol on the beach and to roll back the last-call on alcohol sales two hours earlier to midnight were unsuccessful.

"We have blood on our hands," Curry told his fellow council members.

McKeithen had urged the beach alcohol ban and midnight last-call last year, but council members decided against them, instead rolling back last-call from 4 a.m. to 2 a.m. Curry said Sunday he realized they made a mistake as he went on patrols with police in recent weeks, saw the drug arrests for heroin and an increasingly popular club drug called Molly, as well as the number of guns that have been confiscated.

"It was woefully inadequate," he said.

David Jamichael Daniels, 22, of Mobile, Alabama, has been charged with seven counts of attempted murder in the shooting and remained at the Bay County Jail awaiting a first court appearance, which has not yet been scheduled. A .40-caliber handgun believed to have been used by Daniels was found in the yard of a nearby home. He does not yet have an attorney.

Officials gave no update Sunday on the condition of the victims, three of whom were listed as critical a day earlier, and three who were stable. The condition of a seventh victim was not released. Three of the victims were students at Alabama A&M University, where a candlelight vigil was planned for the campus quad in Normal, Alabama, on Monday evening.

Even as talk of change sounded, typical signs of the season resumed in Panama City Beach. By sunset on Saturday, new tenants had moved into the three-story vacation rental where the shooting took place. Dozens of cases of beer filled the front porch of a neighboring house where loud music thumped inside. And hundreds strolled the main road and gathered at hotel swimming pools.

Desiree Richardson, 18, and five of her girlfriends loaded up their belongings Sunday as they prepared to drive back to Alabama State University, saddened by the news of the shooting.

"I don't know if my parents will let me come back," Richardson said.
___

Sedensky reported from West Palm Beach, Fla. Jeff Martin in Atlanta contributed to this report.

aplogo.jpg
-- (c) Associated Press 2015-03-30

Fox have been clucking like hens all week about the antics of young college kids on the beach for Spring Break.

It seems they have been doing such things as

- Drinking

- Shagging

- Dancing

And not only that but some of them have been fighting and some have been doing drugs.

It's a national outrage, I think Hannity wants it banned in favour of hymn parties and crochet clubs.

• Like 1

Spring break partying started in Ft. Lauderdale on a large scale after the 1960 movie, 'Where the Boys Are', popularized the location.

By 1985 it had become so rowdy that alcohol was banned on the beach.

That effectively killed it, so they looked for other places, Panama City included.

My brother and a carload of his college friends went to Ft. Lauderdale in the early '70s. They raised holy hell for three days. Booze, dope, girls, and fistfights.

But no shootings that I ever heard of.

Times have changed.

I lived in Palm Springs, California in the 1980's when it became a magnet for 'spring breakers'. It followed the predictable course where the city became an unruly and unsanitary mess with people urinating and defecating all over tne tormented neighborhoods. We heard all of the usual baloney from T shirt shops and quick markets that sold beer and booze about what a wonderful economic boom this event brings to our little town. I came home from work one afternoon and when inside I heard noise coming from my swimming pool area in the back. I opened the sliding door and three young men bolted for the fence and went over it. They left an unpleasant surprise in my swimming pool. Sonny Bono became Mayor of Palm Springs and instituted policing policies and other arrangements that within 2 years the plaque was finished. Where else in the world are such 'rights to despoil' looked on as desireable for any community?

• Like 1

I lived in Palm Springs, California in the 1980's when it became a magnet for 'spring breakers'. It followed the predictable course where the city became an unruly and unsanitary mess with people urinating and defecating all over tne tormented neighborhoods. We heard all of the usual baloney from T shirt shops and quick markets that sold beer and booze about what a wonderful economic boom this event brings to our little town. I came home from work one afternoon and when inside I heard noise coming from my swimming pool area in the back. I opened the sliding door and three young men bolted for the fence and went over it. They left an unpleasant surprise in my swimming pool. Sonny Bono became Mayor of Palm Springs and instituted policing policies and other arrangements that within 2 years the plaque was finished. Where else in the world are such 'rights to despoil' looked on as desireable for any community?

Sounds lovely. Maybe the US tourist board can promote this to Chinese tour groups. It must be exactly what they are looking for......

• Like 2

Comical.

Have Floridian officals been trained by the counterparts in Thailand?

I thought I was reading an article from the Bangkok post or not the nation.

Addressing anything but the real issue (ie gun control).

I was expecting to read that they would also try and prevent underboob selfies, prevent coyote dancing, wet t-shorts at songkran, and was fully expecting to hear Florida was becoming the 'Hub' for something...

Comical.

I was expecting to read that they would also try and prevent underboob selfies, prevent coyote dancing, wet t-shorts at songkran, and was fully expecting to hear Florida was becoming the 'Hub' for something...

I live in Destin about 1/2 the year which is next to Panama City. Though I am for gun control, the issue seems to be something other than guns or gun control.

The big change in recent years (which is un-PC to discuss openly or in the media) is the demographics of those flocking to spring break in these areas. We all know it and have seen the sift throughout the years.

Just as urban areas in other parts of the country have become more and more dangerous as the demographics shifted in those areas, both Panama City and a Western portion of Pensacola Beach have become a hot spot or mecca for low life, low rider, rap thumping wanna be thugs certain times of the year. We now have guns and a completely different level of drugs and violence showing up.

Certain events and concerts throughout the year in this area attracts the same undesirables who inevitably bring the same problems and behavior with them. Without a doubt, us locals always dread these times and events because we go from peaceful fun loving family oriented communities to loud trash cruising the streets and creating problems.

Luckily, these events and their presence only happens a a very few times a year (maybe 15 to 20 days total), but it is truly amazing how a small peaceful community can immediately change an instant when Ludicrous (recently), Three 6 Mafia and etc. play venues here or during spring break when the demographics make a dramatic shift.

Spring break partying started in Ft. Lauderdale on a large scale after the 1960 movie, 'Where the Boys Are', popularized the location.

By 1985 it had become so rowdy that alcohol was banned on the beach.

That effectively killed it, so they looked for other places, Panama City included.

My brother and a carload of his college friends went to Ft. Lauderdale in the early '70s. They raised holy hell for three days. Booze, dope, girls, and fistfights.

But no shootings that I ever heard of.

Times have changed.

Yep, things have changed, namely the kind of people now going to these spring break weekends. They used to be primarily for college kids ON SPRING BREAK from college . . . Now, these ring break vacations are being flooded by low life that are not in college and did not even graduate from high school (such as the high school drop out shooter in this incident). Based on his drug arrest history, age and non-working, non-car owning POS self, he was probably down in Panama City trying to sell drugs and up to no good. He certainly was not on vacation from his college work studies that week.

What is PC or any community plagued by the influx of these undesirable criminal thugs that, unfortunately, mess things up for everyone else? We would have Holder and Obama freaking out if these communities spoke candidly and openly addressed the real problem. Even then, there is nothing these communities can really do except shut the whole thing down because certain elements and demographics are ruining it for everyone else.

I can say without a doubt, Panama City is very busy all summer long and attracts a younger party generation because it is much cheaper than surrounding areas. Panama City, however, is a much different place and much more family oriented throughout the rest of the summer when the gang banger, thugs are not everywhere.

What the country had better start "addressing", as local law enforcement put it, is this (al.com - What we know so far about David Daniels):

"Daniels was never particularly violent, according to Sharon Daniels, his mother. "I've never known him to be violent towards anybody," she said. He was one of her 14 children and grew up in the Alabama Village community in Prichard. But he did become more difficult over the years, she said."

(emphasis mine)

Without being ethnicist (aka racist), I would bet there were multiple fathers and none of them resident (on paper, at least) in order to ensure maximum welfare payments.

"Without being ethnicist (aka racist), "

That's exactly what you AND your "likers" are.

One look at the photo...he's black, therefore his mother has multiple fathers of her children and for the reason of getting welfare.

Maybe some of your likers didn't even see the photo but made anOTHER assumption.

Edited by Seastallion
  • Like 1

What the country had better start "addressing", as local law enforcement put it, is this (al.com - What we know so far about David Daniels):

"Daniels was never particularly violent, according to Sharon Daniels, his mother. "I've never known him to be violent towards anybody," she said. He was one of her 14 children and grew up in the Alabama Village community in Prichard. But he did become more difficult over the years, she said."

(emphasis mine)

Without being ethnicist (aka racist), I would bet there were multiple fathers and none of them resident (on paper, at least) in order to ensure maximum welfare payments.

One look at the photo...he's black, therefore his mother has multiple fathers of her children and for the reason of getting welfare.

Maybe some of your likers didn't even see the photo but made anOTHER assumption.

14 children??? Who the heck does that, especially one living in the Alabama Village community which are the projects. Completely irresponsible to have 14 children when you cannot even get out of the projects.

The we have the shooter. I think local news reported he had 6 arrests and long drug history and he was how old??? No job, no car, high school drop out . . . Maybe stereo types suck, but there is a reason stereotypes exist because some time they are absolutely true.

• Like 1

(emphasis mine)

14 children??? Who the heck does that, especially one living in the Alabama Village community which are the projects. Completely irresponsible to have 14 children when you cannot even get out of the projects.

The we have the shooter. I think local news reported he had 6 arrests and long drug history and he was how old??? No job, no car, high school drop out . . . Maybe stereo types suck, but there is a reason stereotypes exist because some time they are absolutely true.

There's plenty of Catholic families, with one father, and not on welfare with 14 kids.

To "bet" that there's more than one father, to assume none of them are resident, to imply "not on paper anyway to maximise welfare"...of course it's racist.

Stereotypes exist, but it's the bigots that perpetuate them. As you have just done.

(emphasis mine)

In the instance, it's more of an educated guess than an assumption.

Comical.

I live in Destin about 1/2 the year which is next to Panama City. Though I am for gun control, the issue seems to be something other than guns or gun control.

The big change in recent years (which is un-PC to discuss openly or in the media) is the demographics of those flocking to spring break in these areas. We all know it and have seen the sift throughout the years.

Just as urban areas in other parts of the country have become more and more dangerous as the demographics shifted in those areas, both Panama City and a Western portion of Pensacola Beach have become a hot spot or mecca for low life, low rider, rap thumping wanna be thugs certain times of the year. We now have guns and a completely different level of drugs and violence showing up.

Certain events and concerts throughout the year in this area attracts the same undesirables who inevitably bring the same problems and behavior with them. Without a doubt, us locals always dread these times and events because we go from peaceful fun loving family oriented communities to loud trash cruising the streets and creating problems.

Luckily, these events and their presence only happens a a very few times a year (maybe 15 to 20 days total), but it is truly amazing how a small peaceful community can immediately change an instant when Ludicrous (recently), Three 6 Mafia and etc. play venues here or during spring break when the demographics make a dramatic shift.

Now you are telling me that idiots crashing parties with an intention of getting up to no good are a uniquely US phenomenon....and if it wasn't for them, none of this wouldn't happen.

Taking US exceptionalism a bit far aren't we?

Comical.

Now you are telling me that idiots crashing parties with an intention of getting up to no good are a uniquely US phenomenon....and if it wasn't for them, none of this wouldn't happen.

Taking US exceptionalism a bit far aren't we?

WTH did you get that! I was only talking about what happens in Panama City which is the topic of the OP seeing as I lived 20 - 30 minutes from there since 2008 and am there fairly often.

(emphasis mine)

There's plenty of Catholic families, with one father, and not on welfare with 14 kids.

To "bet" that there's more than one father, to assume none of them are resident, to imply "not on paper anyway to maximise welfare"...of course it's racist.

Stereotypes exist, but it's the bigots that perpetuate them. As you have just done.

Do these Catholic families live in Section 8 or government housing and continue to have more kids that the government pays for?

First off, I know a whole lot of Catholic folks and none of them have 14 kids. Those with larger families 5 or 6 kids are actually very well off and do not live in government housing seeking hand outs.

Second, I said nothing about how many fathers were involved in the shooter's family.

My comment was simply what kind of irresposbile dumb arrsse has 14 children when they have to live in the projects. I suppose the kind that ain't quick enough to see the inherent problem with that . . .

"Daniels was never particularly violent, according to Sharon Daniels, his mother. "I've never known him to be violent towards anybody," she said. He was one of her 14 children and grew up in the Alabama Village community in Prichard. But he did become more difficult over the years, she said."[/size]

(emphasis mine)

I think Alabama leads the US in % of federal hand-out money per population. In some communities, over 60% of adults get SSI or similar. Nearly every one who gets federal/state hand-outs are grossly overweight. Mississippi is a close 2nd. In a round-about way, such shootings are related to the immense amounts of sugar (and other junk food) Americans stuff in their mouths. The average American ingests over 50 kg of raw sugar annually. Harvey Milk used the 'Twinky defense' to get off easy for a double murder (with a a handgun) in SF, California. Maybe Daniels will get as good a lawyer as Milk, and get off easy.

Eating too much sugar has also been linked to diminished mental capacity. Look it up.