Thai police officer arrested for trafficking in 1.2 million methamphetamine pills

webfact

Police officer arrested for trafficking in 1.2 million methamphetamine pills

288003-imagejpeg-449560-wpcf_728x413.jpg

BANGKOK: -- A border patrol police sergeant and eight other civilians were arrested separately in several places after they were responsible for trafficking in 1.2 million methamphetamine pills from across the border to Thailand.

The police officer admitted that he had been involved in narcotics on 3 previous occasions all in order to clear gambling debts that he had incurred.

Police General Somyos Phumphanmuang, the commissioner of the Royal Thai Police, said Pol Sgt Major Jirawat Maklai, the head of the 32nd Border Patrol Squad of the Phaya Mengrai Camp in Chiang Rai province, along with eight associates had been arrested on charges of narcotics trafficking after more than 1,200,000 crazy pills or methamphetamine were seized.

He said the arrest was the result of a tip-off that a van was making a trip to transport drugs from Chiang Rai and was heading to Klong Luang district in Pathumthani province to deliver them.

The police narcotics unit was alerted and the vehicle in question was discovered while in the process of offloading the drugs and was duly arrested.

Seven individuals were arrested and following information given by the suspects police were able to raid a home of another suspect and a further 2 individuals were arrested along with 65 pills.

Related investigation made a connection which led to a raid on yet another drug syndicate based in Rayong province. One suspect was arrested.

After being questioned, Jirawat admitted that this was the third time that he had carried out the narcotics operation and the proceeds were to pay off gambling debts that he had accumulated.

Pol. Gen. Somyos stated that the officer will face charges while his superiors are also liable to face disciplinary action for not taking care of his subordinate who managed to engage in drug trafficking for three separate occasions.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/police-officer-arrested-for-trafficking-in-1-2-million-methamphetamine-pills

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2015-03-31

I am thinking that we should be reading that Pol Sgt Major Jirawat Maklai, the head of the 32nd Border Patrol Squad of the Phaya Mengrai Camp in Chiang Rai province has been charged with the drug offence, dismissed from the force with a total lost of all entitlements and is to be held in custody until his trial due to his cross border connections posing a flight risk .....

Nice work by the officers who caught this bit of slime and his 7 co-accused.

• Like 2

Why are there no fingers pointing at the perpetrator????? I won't believe it till I see fingers pointing!

Is the one in civvies the arrested person because it's not clear ?

Deliberate maybe since one of those alleged to be involved is a police officer so not the usual Hollywood production.

Why are there no fingers pointing at the perpetrator????? I won't believe it till I see fingers pointing!

I have the same concern. As we know, the only consistent element of the Thai justice system, it the photograph with the finger pointing. Therefore logic dictates, if there is no finger pointing there was no crime. ;)

• Like 1

I am thinking that we should be reading that Pol Sgt Major Jirawat Maklai, the head of the 32nd Border Patrol Squad of the Phaya Mengrai Camp in Chiang Rai province has been charged with the drug offence, dismissed from the force with a total lost of all entitlements and is to be held in custody until his trial due to his cross border connections posing a flight risk .....

What officers? They would not have been caught had it not been for someone reporting it. Most likely that only happened because someone wanted them out of the way. How else could the police have caught them WHILE they were unloading the drugs? Any other times they get tips and make checkpoints on highways waiting for the vehicle.
  • Like 1

What officers? They would not have been caught had it not been for someone reporting it. Most likely that only happened because someone wanted them out of the way. How else could the police have caught them WHILE they were unloading the drugs? Any other times they get tips and make checkpoints on highways waiting for the vehicle.

Sure they got a tip off - but they acted on it (many times in the past such a tip would have been ignored) and then they managed to use the information to make further arrests.

He said the arrest was the result of a tip-off that a van was making a trip to transport drugs from Chiang Rai and was heading to Klong Luang district in Pathumthani province to deliver them.

The police narcotics unit was alerted and the vehicle in question was discovered while in the process of offloading the drugs and was duly arrested.

Seven individuals were arrested and following information given by the suspects police were able to raid a home of another suspect and a further 2 individuals were arrested along with 65 pills.

Related investigation made a connection which led to a raid on yet another drug syndicate based in Rayong province. One suspect was arrested.

Sorry I forgot that it is a forum rule that we should criticise all the police, even the better ones

I have the same concern. As we know, the only consistent element of the Thai justice system, it the photograph with the finger pointing. Therefore logic dictates, if there is no finger pointing there was no crime. wink.png

I believe he is not in the photo, however he has agreed to present himself for arrest in one or two weeks from now.

That's assuming he isn't otherwise busy, or conveniently out of the country, so he cannot appear at this time. cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

Twelve days from moving from Thailand.........and loving it.

After 35 yrs there, putting up with this lower than life society.

I've had about 10 driving tickets, all of them handed to my friend and all of them disappeared.

I've had about 10 driving tickets, all of them handed to my friend and all of them disappeared.

35 years to realise this my your slow or trolling ..maybe you meant 3.5 months

A slap on the wrist, moving to an inactive post and on the next promotion wave moved up the ladder = well done. Wondering how well this goes down to those foreigners who (correctly) got arrested and jailed for a very very long time for a considerable lesser case.

At the risk of sounding like a broken drum, the criminals in

Thailand ARE the police. There are countless stories like

this one if you read the Thai news. The " Royal" Thai police

are less than useless, fire every one of them and

start over.

The "Royal" was introduced about 15 years ago, it only exists in the English name.

In Thai they are simply called the National Thai Police.

I do wonder how they get away with it.

Edited by 12DrinkMore

Police officer arrested for trafficking in 1.2 million methamphetamine pills

In times when all the youngsters aim for white collar jobs like lawyers, doctors and bank managers, isn't it soothing to see that one group sticks to its traditional business? Furthermore they took all affords and obstacles to switch from opium to a more contemporary product. Who says there is no progress here?

They need to fire all police officers, and then hire back some of them after sitting for new exams, personality tests and background checks. Fill up the remaining with motivated soldiers and new police recruits. Make sure that all entry tests are vetted by independent bodies, and not by the police. The same goes for promotions. And finally, NEW UNIFORMS!!!

They need to fire all police officers, and then hire back some of them after sitting for new exams, personality tests and background checks. Fill up the remaining with motivated soldiers and new police recruits. Make sure that all entry tests are vetted by independent bodies, and not by the police. The same goes for promotions. And finally, NEW UNIFORMS!!!

I agree, remove all the rotten wood from the pile..... but then the problem would be, you can't do much with a tooth-pick.

Don't let the door............

BTW were you part of the solution or part of the problem?