Japan to revise charter flight ban on Thai airlines

webfact

Japan to revise charter flight ban on Thai airlines

4-1-2015-11-03-56-AM-wpcf_728x413.jpg

Transport Minister ACM Prajin Juntong revealed late Tuesday that Japan will revise its charter flight ban on Thai airlines.

He said Japan Civil Aviation Bureau (JCAB) notified Thailand Civil Aviation Department Tuesday evening of its planned revision of the ban after realising the strong determination of the Thai government and the Transport Ministry to resolve the problem and to follow the recommendations of the International Civil Aviation Organisation.

He said this latest movement by Japan would enable Thai airlines which faced the ban since March 29 to resume their operations again in accordance with their summer flight schedules.

ACM Prajin attributed the positive sign for the revision to last week’s meeting between Prime Minister Gen Prayut Chan-o-cha and Japanese Premier when the problem was raised.

It was expected that Thai airlines operating charter flights are expected to operate as usual with in the next few days.

The charter flights to resume are those permitted for the summer flight timetables from April to May.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/japan-to-revise-charter-flight-ban-on-thai-airlines

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2015-04-01

Interesting that the Japanese (and Koreans) were concerned enough to take the drastic measure they did, knowing that Thailand would be humiliated in the Int"l media. Perhaps some phone calls were made, regret shown, and a softer tone issued for public consumption.

The way they reacted also indicates they are realistic about Thailand's lack of a reliable safety and compliance culture, therefore one would think they would require a formal reassessment by the same external regulatory agency, to verify corrective actions have really been taken.

Reminiscent of how Thailand handles the human trafficking issues. Procrastinate until it causes loss of face and potential revenue, then all hands to the pump until the media spotlight finds a more newsworthy crisis elsewhere.

• Like 1

It was expected that Thai airlines operating charter flights are expected to operate as usual with in the next few days.

The charter flights to resume are those permitted for the summer flight timetables from April to May.

I look forward to the announcements from the several airlines affected, that they are reinstating their full programme of hastily-cancelled charter-flights, and from the Japanese government/aviation-authority, to confirm the announcement by the Minister.

• Like 1

Again Thai authorities may have jumped the gun. According to the reporter, and as usual we did not get a complete report only a watered down scenario, first, the Japanese authorities, "...notified Thailand Civil Aviation Department Tuesday evening of its planned revision of the ban." Second, no date was provided as to when the ban may be removed/reduced but there is a statement made Prajin Juntong saying that "Thai airlines operating charter flights are expected to operate as usual with in the next few days" and would be able to continue with its summer schedule. When will the reporters get their English sorted out and stop using past and present in the same sentence. Also, why keep repeating things such as, "He/she said," and the police always rush even though it may take them an hour to get to the crime scene.

• Like 1

If they (Thai) have had 10 years to sort this out and do sweet FA - hopefully the other countries involved stand by their original "ban" and say not landing until you meet criteria - but guessing Thais blaming not themselves just everyone else - we didn't know we had 10 years to do this - the rules are too difficult to follow - I don't understand etc

• Like 2

I look forward to the announcements from the several airlines affected, that they are reinstating their full programme of hastily-cancelled charter-flights, and from the Japanese government/aviation-authority, to confirm the announcement by the Minister.

Why would you care Ricardo?--------you should worry more about the people who will be affected.

This will send shock waves in the entire flight industry!----and it should!

We are tired of lazy ass people running this flight pattern!

All will be back soon when the money adds up!

Perhaps the Japanese Govt got some stick from their own people who would have had their flights cancelled and travel plans disrupted.

From what I read it isn't the safety of the airlines themselves that is the problem but the lax procedures of airline authority.

Which comes back to a Govt department and civil servants not doing their job.

Perhaps rather than a big stick a big axe is needed in this one.

How are the train/railroad project negotiations going on?

On one side there is Thainess, and on the other "nihonjinron", or Japaneseness. It used to be the excuse given to ban the import of American beef since the Japanese, their intestines being one meter longer or shorter (I don't remember which), could not digest it. They have also, in the past, banned the import of European skis as Japanese snow is also unique, very unlike European snow. Frankly, that these two parties can communicate and understand each other comes as no surprise to me.

Either it is safe to fly or it isn't. Japan is showing no more concerns for the safety of passengers than Thailand does. If used as a bargaining chip ( that I really don't know), then we know what we are worth, us the passengers....

Edited by scavenger

Why would you care Ricardo?--------you should worry more about the people who will be affected.

This will send shock waves in the entire flight industry!----and it should!

We are tired of lazy ass people running this flight pattern!

Why should I care ? Good question, in one sense, since I no-longer work in aviation or tourism.

But when I did do so, it was drummed into me, that (even in a LCC or charter-airline) we never ever compromise on safety ! So I can't help but care.

Admittedly a farang attitude, but I do fly on these same planes round Thailand, and so do my family. We've got some 50 sectors booked this year, perhaps a third on Thai airlines, it's really unavoidable when you live here.

And as you say ("worry about the people who will be affected"), I still care about my ex-customers, the budget-travelers & package-holiday-makers who come to Thailand, amongst other places. I think global-travel is a boon to people, and am delighted to see it growing strongly, and relatively-safely. Way to go !

And I mistrust poo-yai statements, like the Ministers, until they're supported by other sources.