NBTC: All pre-paid numbers must be registered before 31 July

webfact

NBTC: All pre-paid numbers must be registered before 31 July

BANGKOK, 1 April 2015 (NNT) – The registration deadline of pre-paid mobile numbers is set at 31 July 2015, while new numbers for mobile phones will also require SIM card registration, says a NBTC official.

According to the Secretary-General of the National Broadcasting and Telecommunications Commission (NBTC) Takorn Tantasith, new mobile numbers now require SIM card registration prior to the commencement of the service, from 1 April 2015 onwards, in accordance to the national agenda and to reserve the users’ usage rights in each number.

He has said that the registration of mobile numbers will help prevent the criminal use of number, while all operators have been coordinated to strictly enforce this measure.

All pre-paid numbers currently in service will also required to be registered within 31 July 2015, otherwise the number will be blocked from making calls and internet access.

Number registration can be made at the operators’ service centers, resellers, ‘Two-Takes’ application service point, and retails with registration service symbols nationwide.

The NBTC Secretary-General has stressed that the information used for the registration will be protected, and registrations will not incur any service fees. Users can check for their registration status by calling *151# to receive the status of their number via text message.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2015-04-01 footer_n.gif

RELATED: How to register your prepaid SIM in Thailand

What seems to be new:

if you buy a new SIM card from today, it needs to be registered before use, which was not the case up to now.

Has someone made this experience?

... sounds like they are serious this time, 4 months left to do the chore ?

We've registered our AIS sims like good little boys and girls,

but we were in Chiang Mai last week and wanted cheaper Internet Access so got the 7/11 True 59 baht/512kbps/week peg-card special.

Also needed a TrueMove-H sim (available separately for 2 baht). No pre-registration required. A week later now and the sim still isn't registered.

As we're only using them for Internet Data when traveling I doubt well ever register them (if pre-registration isn't mandatory), and just acquire another sim when we want the service again.

As we're only using them for Internet Data when traveling I doubt well ever register them (if pre-registration isn't mandatory), and just acquire another sim when we want the service again.

If this mandatory registration is a serious requirement, then this will not work from Aug 1.

If this would still work, the whole measure would be a joke.

Serious: on Aug 1 running over the databases at the operators and blocking all SIMs that have not been registered.

This would happen indiscriminatetly to SIMs already been used or not (still in the shops).

Takes a few seconds only.

Edited by KhunBENQ

If they block all unregistered SIMs on August 1st, Thailand will grind to a halt.

They still have over 70 million to go and I don't think they will get anywhere near done by that time.

Can you imagine business trying to keep running with 75% of the countries phones shut off?

I predict that a new deadline will be set every 6 months or so.

In fact if the majority of people do not register, then the whole idea will just disappear.

There are many dozens of countries around the world that do not register communication users, so

the only reason I can see this being implemented is to satisfy the imperial powers that are pressuring Thailand

to do many things at the moment.

If people want freedom, then they must assert their preferences to their respective governments, or they

will quickly find themselves living in an irreversible police state.

I predict that a new deadline will be set every 6 months or so.

Sounds like a Thai style option rolleyes.gif

They still have over 70 million to go

I suspect that quite a high number of these SIMs are "dead", not used for long and due to termination anyway.

The easy and cheap purchase of new SIMs (anonymous, prepaid) led to an inflation of SIMs and waste of number space.

(I have three such dead SIMs somewhere in the cabinet or destroyed whistling.gif No idea whether the numbers already have been reassigned)

Edited by KhunBENQ

They still have over 70 million to go

I suspect that quite a high number of these SIMs are "dead", not used for long and due to termination anyway.

The easy and cheap purchase of new SIMs (anonymous, prepaid) led to an inflation of SIMs and waste of number space.

If they are dead they are recycled within 90 days, so can't agree on that point.

There was a severe shortage of numbers last year, and the TelCos ramped up the time that a number would become dormant and re-used to around 2 months.

The numbers were published when they first started to enact this new regulation. It was over 80 Million then.

Can't imagine they have got very many registered since then.

If they block all unregistered SIMs on August 1st, Thailand will grind to a halt.

Can you imagine business trying to keep running with 75% of the countries phones shut off?

The phones will still be able to take selfies so most Thais will not notice... coffee1.gif