Murder Suspect Arrested

Charma

LONDON (Reuters) - Police said on Friday they had arrested a man at London's Heathrow airport over the murder of a woman and her three children at their home in Manchester.

Police sources said the man was Rahan Arshad, 36, the husband and father of the victims.

The bodies of Uzma Rahan and her three children, Adam, 11, Abbas, 8, and daughter Henna, 6, were discovered at their house in Cheadle

Hulme, Greater Manchester, almost two weeks ago.

Police said the bodies might have been lying undiscovered for up to four weeks and post-mortems showed they had died from serious head injuries.

Greater Manchester Police said they had arrested a 36-year-old man after he got off a flight from Thailand shortly after 7 a.m. on Friday.

He will be taken to Manchester for questioning on suspicion of murder.

After the bodies were found, detectives said they wanted to question Arshad over the deaths.

Officers later reported that his car had been discovered at Heathrow and that he had flown to Thailand at the end of July.

Last week detectives released on police bail a 40-year-old man and a 35-year-old woman, who had both been arrested on suspicion of murder.

Full story: http://uk.news.yahoo.com/01092006/325/man-...er-murders.html

• 5 months later...

**** UPDATE ****

SOURCE: BBC WEBSITE

February 28th 2007

Father 'clubbed family to death'

Rahan Arshad denies four counts of murder

A cab driver allegedly clubbed his wife and three children to death with a bat because he thought she was having an affair, a court heard.

Rahan Arshad, 36, then fled to Thailand - leaving their bodies undiscovered at the family home in Turves Road, Cheadle Hulme, Manchester, for almost a month.

Paul Reid QC, prosecuting, told the jury the evidence they would hear would be distressing.

Mr Arshad denies four counts of murder at Manchester Crown Court.

The jury heard when Mr Arshad was arrested, he confessed to the murder, adding: "My beautiful kids. I don't regret killing that bitch, but my kids, killing my kids..."

Police believe the bodies may have lain undiscovered for a month

The court was told Arshad killed his wife Uzma Rahan, 32, sons Adam, 11, and Abbas, eight, and daughter Henna, six, last July.

His wife's body was found in the main bedroom upstairs and the children were found in the lounge.

Mr Reid told the jury the couple had an arranged marriage in 1992 but their relationship hit the rocks from before Easter 2003 because Arshad believed his wife was having an affair .

Mr Reid said: "Despite Uzma's denials to many about the affair, including her family and friends, the affair was an open secret and lasted until about April 2006."

The trial continues.

• 2 weeks later...

******NEWS******UPDATE******

BBC News: March 13th 2007

Man convicted of murdering family

A man has been jailed for life after being found guilty of murdering his wife and three children.

Rahan Arshad, 36, beat his family to death with a rounders bat at their home in Cheadle Hulme, Greater Manchester, before fleeing to Thailand last July.

The bodies of Uzma Rahan, 32, and children Adam, 11, Abbas, eight, and Henna, six, were not found for a month.

The court was told Arshad may have been motivated by jealousy after discovering his wife was having an affair.

Arshad, of Turves Road, had denied four counts of murder but was convicted by a jury at Manchester Crown Court.

They did not believe the taxi driver's claim he had killed his wife after arriving home to find she had bludgeoned their children.

Mr Justice David Clarke sentenced Arshad to life imprisonment and said that in this case, life "meant life".

The only time he has ever shown any remorse for what he did was when he first got off the plane from Thailand

Uzma's mother and two brothers were in the public gallery beside friends and other relatives as the verdicts came in.

Her brother, Rahat Ali, shouted "Yes" as the jury convicted Arshad.

Describing the murders as "brutal and horrific", the judge said Arshad had been convicted on "overwhelming evidence"

"You killed your entire family in circumstances of great brutality," said Mr Justice Clarke.

"You beat your wife to death in her bedroom and then coldly and deliberately you brought your sleepy children downstairs to meet their deaths.

"There is no suggestion of mental illness on your part. Life imprisonment in your case means life."

During his trial, the jury heard how Arshad battered Uzma with more than 23 blows in their bedroom before beating his children to death in their playroom.

Their bodies were so badly decomposed that police needed dental records to confirm their identities.

He had planned the murders in advance, buying the rounders bat the day before and booking his ticket to Thailand more than two weeks earlier.

Arshad had told his family he was taking them on holiday to Dubai.

Their bodies were in the house for almost a month

It meant family, friends and neighbours assumed Uzma and her children were on holiday when they were in fact lying dead in the house.

Police found their decomposed bodies on 20 August 2006.

After detectives tracked him down in Thailand, he confessed to their murders moments after he was flown back to the UK.

When arrested he told officers: "I confess to the murder. My beautiful kids, I don't regret killing that bitch, but my kids, killing my kids..."

But he later refused to answer police questions, claiming his wife had beaten the children to death and he had killed her.

Speaking after the hearing, Det Supt Martin Bottomley, who led the investigation, said: "This is one of the most brutal and devastating murders I have ever dealt with.

"Many of us have children, which makes the brutality he used to kill his own children even harder to comprehend.

"We will probably never know why Arshad committed this awful crime, unless he chooses to tell us."

******NEWS******UPDATE******

BBC News: March 13th 2007

Man convicted of murdering family

"We will probably never know why Arshad committed this awful crime, unless he chooses to tell us."

TV last night said that his wife was having an affair.

THIS IS NO EXCUSE FOR HIS ACTIONS, :o but might answer your question

:D I seem to remember The Previous Post on MR Rahan Arshad and his sick antics being closed down because it seemed to offend those that rallied to his cause because he was being victimized because of his ethnicty ..Well my question is now the verdict is in where are you all now ??? .. care to comment ??..I for one would like to see him smoke a turd for all eternity in the fires of hel_l ..and even though the court said in his case life means life i very much doubt it as the Prisons are full now mostly due to the Goverment loseing a grip on the Migration Problem .He will Probably do 7yrs then get let out given a bus pass and relocated into a spanking new Flat located close to a school somewhere ..courtesy the British Tax Payer ..If this sounds a bit hard line Tough titty live with it or remove it which is what the PC Caveat will probably do anyway

Chok Dee :o

:D I seem to remember The Previous Post on MR Rahan Arshad and his sick antics being closed down because it seemed to offend those that rallied to his cause because he was being victimized because of his ethnicty ..Well my question is now the verdict is in where are you all now ??? .. care to comment ??..I for one would like to see him smoke a turd for all eternity in the fires of hel_l ..and even though the court said in his case life means life i very much doubt it as the Prisons are full now mostly due to the Goverment loseing a grip on the Migration Problem .He will Probably do 7yrs then get let out given a bus pass and relocated into a spanking new Flat located close to a school somewhere ..courtesy the British Tax Payer ..If this sounds a bit hard line Tough titty live with it or remove it which is what the PC Caveat will probably do anyway

What has this case got to do with the (as you call it) 'migration problem' ??

Its Quite simple really The Uk is a small Island Already Maxed out at Full Capacity on issues such as Social Services NHS Health care Policeing the Community Affordable Housing ..Open the Flood gates to Migrants Legal or otherwise who for the most part have very little to offer (not all that is) ..combine this with mixed attitudes towards religion work ethos and general day to day behaviour and you get a tightly crammed population half of which now may think its ok to commit honour killings like MR Rahan Ashad ..or circumcise women against their will or sacrafice young children in the river Thames to some Nigerian Voodoo mumbo Jumbo ..Doubtful any of these attitudes were picked up from Sunday school ..Don,t get me wrong i,m all for people seeking out a better chance in life but its simply a case of there,s no room left in the Inn anymore ..If you want to see where the UK,s heading look back at New York late 60,s early 70,s ..There was a open door policy on migration there as well ..end result it almost went bankrupt the welfare state all but collapsed with most service workers being laid off and the Birth of the Harlem Ghetto,s ..say helloo to the new UK 20 or 30 years from now

Enough said

Its Quite simple really The Uk is a small Island Already Maxed out at Full Capacity on issues such as Social Services NHS Health care Policeing the Community Affordable Housing ..Open the Flood gates to Migrants Legal or otherwise who for the most part have very little to offer (not all that is) ..combine this with mixed attitudes towards religion work ethos and general day to day behaviour and you get a tightly crammed population half of which now may think its ok to commit honour killings like MR Rahan Ashad ..or circumcise women against their will or sacrafice young children in the river Thames to some Nigerian Voodoo mumbo Jumbo ..Doubtful any of these attitudes were picked up from Sunday school ..Don,t get me wrong i,m all for people seeking out a better chance in life but its simply a case of there,s no room left in the Inn anymore ..If you want to see where the UK,s heading look back at New York late 60,s early 70,s ..There was a open door policy on migration there as well ..end result it almost went bankrupt the welfare state all but collapsed with most service workers being laid off and the Birth of the Harlem Ghetto,s ..say helloo to the new UK 20 or 30 years from now

Enough said

But what has anything you have said got to do with the case?

Not Racist in the least ..But hardley a surpriseing response I,m surprised it has stayed up this long to be honest ...sigh whats the point ....

yes Racist ... and none of what you have posted is Thailand related ... just some white guy grousing about non-whites in the UK ....

Yes it is sad that he did this ... no it is NOT sad to defend someone from racial attacks before his trial ... yes I am glad he'll be in jail for life ....

and that is pretty much it

And the good news is that he will probably get much sterner punishment whilst inside from the prisoners as he killed 3 kids and also the guards will turn a blind eye as they do not give a tinkers cuss about racial equality.

Well lets hope so Gummy but i think he will probably be put into high catergory isolation either way he,s in for a rough ride ..jdinasia ..sbk ..I would feel exactley the same way if he had been white ..ALL or my posts have been in answer to questions relateing to this thread ..i,m not racist i,m jaded ..Black White or Pokerdot it seems an injustice to me when People regardless of there ethnicity get the short end of the stick because some vote catching slick suited spin docter has weighed of cheap labour against other peoples tax contributions and services all this has done has led to a yes man culture where everything gets left on the back burner and nothing ever gets resolved..I know this is a touchy subject as some (not all) are facing uncertain times in LOS ..Kindly do not take your angst out on me ..I wish all of you well regardless of ethnicty ..Its just my feelings that we can all play the shell game but sooner or later everything has to be approached better sooner than later on some issues i think ...This is the last time i,m gonna reply on this Thread ..so it should be easy to come and do a character assasination i respect the moderators wish,s even if i don,t agree with them

Chok Dee have a good one :o